Forums Latest Members

2021 Type 20 chronograph Airain re-edition

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 18, 2021

Just pointing out this re-edition military chronograph originally made for L'Armée de L'Air ...the French Air Force
    Versions were made by Bréguet, Auricoste, Dodane, Airain,...
    See:
    https://www.airain.com/

Whay do You think... all I can add, these chronographs have been used during training by French spationautes in 1980s
    :coffee:

eugeneandresson, Ron_W, Joe_A and 3 others like this.
  2. abrod520 Jan 18, 2021

It's cool, but even among watch nerds Airain doesn't have as much name recognition so it's hard to see this being super successful at its price point. The specs sound nice for the price - 39.5mm manual-wind flyback chronograph for $3k - but $3k is a lot for an unknown name.

We'll see, though, and it's nice to see a couple more Type XX entrants.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 18, 2021

One of the lesser know, and harder to find Type 20/21. One I used to have...

0129B8D0-B028-486B-9162-6D5FA8CA8423.jpeg

marco, Pazzo, Tubber and 1 other person like this.
  4. Braindrain Jan 18, 2021

While I would love the original, I think $3K for a flyback is a good value. The recent Hanhart Cal 41 re-edition is more, without the flyback.

5. cvalue13 Jan 18, 2021

Might someone help this idiot understand the bezel?

12hr count down?

Joe_A likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 18, 2021

Set 0 on the bezel to the hour hand and start the chrono. It functions as the hour counter.

it can also be used for a 2nd time zone.

marco, watchyouwant and Joe_A like this.
  7. cvalue13 Jan 18, 2021

Makes sense and if forced to guess...

... ok now you’re just fucking with me :D

could you hand-hold me through that (as you have probably picked up by now, we share a thing for time zones)

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2021

a 12 hour bezel can be rotated as a 2nd time zone. Just like the Spectre 300mc.

if your time zone is 4 or 16 hours ahead you line up the 4 on the bezel with 12 on the dial.

9. abrod520 Jan 19, 2021

This is a countdown 12h though, so wouldn't be useful for a 2nd timezone... think a countdown-hours bezel would maybe be useful for aircraft fuel reserve but can't think of much more

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2021

Is it? Doh!!!

missed that. So nope no second time zone.

11. cvalue13 Jan 19, 2021

now we’re talking each other’s language

same, too, for the proposed chrono hour function in that one would need to do subtractions to use it as a chrono hours totalizer; possible of course but awkward

so I’m still left wondering about a 12hr countdown bezel

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 19, 2021

If you have 4 hours of fuel when you take off. Set the 4 marker on the current hour hand. When the hour hand reaches zero you are out of fuel.

13. Alfista88 Jan 19, 2021

I've found the owner of brand (Mr Wijlick) to be very open & transparent in his communication, when I'd previous inquired about the watch and the brand.

I see that the U.S. company that had been previously been selling quartz Type XX interpretations under the Airain brand name, has now ceased their website operations. That other company's remaining quartz inventory has migrated onto www.airain.com. So good progress on that front, toward unifying the brand name under Compagnie des Montres Lebois & Cie, in time for the product launch of the manual-wind Airain Type XX this summer.

Regarding the watch itself: I'd be very interested in purchasing one, if a dial option is offered sans vintage-colored patina in the hour markers. My preference is for white hour markers, over the beige shown on the renders. Can't wait to see the actual prototype in pictures and videos though. We saw with the Omega's new 'Cernan 321b' ;)', that the initial renders can make the hour markers look more yellow than they actually will be in real-life lighting conditions.

I'd come very close to purchasing a Breguet Type XX a couple years ago. But while trying it on in-person, I noticed how loud the rotor-spin is on both the Aeronavale, and the Transatlantique, which was unfortunately a deal-breaker for me : (

No such concerns with Airain's new Type XX, because it has a manual-wind movement. A few other pros in my eyes, compared to the Breguet:
    1) Plexiglass crystal on the Airain
    2) Smaller bezel width
    3) Brushed bezel (Breguet discontinued the Transatlantique a year or so ago, so only the high-polish Aeronavale is available new)
    4) Minute hand chronograph counter with markers that actually match the minutes. (Breguet's minute markers are painted at 2-minute intervals, so its Big Eye design layout is out of synch with the operation of its modern movement)
    5) Column wheel

I would prefer a different OEM strap option, than the suede shown in renderings. If a non-fauxtina lume dial variant becomes available later, the first thing I'll do after purchasing the watch is to replace that suede strap with an alligator one.

SpeedyPhill and Joe_A like this.
  14. cvalue13 Jan 19, 2021

Prone to joining lost causes are you? ;)

Alfista88 likes this.
  15. M'Bob Jan 19, 2021

I may not be looking hard enough, but can’t seem to find a picture of the movement. Anyone?

16. Screwbacks Jan 19, 2021

not much discussion and disclosure on the movement which any interested buyer should be able to appreciate, considering that being a boutique brand the name is not that well known. in the 50's, typexx commonly carries with it a val22/23 and other modified and upgraded typexx movement. the flyback mechanism is a plus, but the demo dint show how it reset back with another (3rd) pusher. it seems a stop and recoil back mechanism. the breguet typexx flyback costs 10x more than this. if this airain flyback carries a borrowed movement as that of breguet, then this is a real steal. ;):)

Edited Jan 20, 2021
  17. Faz Jan 19, 2021

I'll definitely look into this. I used to own a vintage example and really liked it. Priced smartly for an Swiss, in house, column wheel flyback classic military style chronograph!

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  18. leetse2 Jan 19, 2021

I know it wouldn’t be true to the original, but I would prefer a standard 12 hour bezel. Much more practical with 2nd time zone and elapsed hour tracking.

marco likes this.
  19. Pazzo Jan 19, 2021

...and I hope you would have landed safely by then. ... :)

20. cvalue13 Jan 19, 2021

Most of a second time zone; a 12hr format second time zone bezel being non-ideal to differentiating AM/PM, but I suppose what it does offer is a fine perk to a 12hr elapsed time bezel

SpeedyPhill likes this.