Forums Latest Members
  1. Lenny Pepperidge Oct 1, 2019

Did a search and didn't find an existing thread. Anyone on here following? I'm a big Wales fan. After the first two weekends, I'd put my power rankings as follows:

1. NZ and England
    2. Wales and South Africa
    big gap down
    3. Australia and Ireland
    4. (teams that aren't going to win it but can cause some mayhem) Georgia, France, Scotland and (surprisingly) Japan & Italy.

[​IMG]

Sidnos and BatDad like this.
  2. lillatroll Oct 1, 2019

Sorry but there is no way on this planet that England are better than Wales.
    Perhaps to the uninitiated Wales looked dodgy in the second half of the game against Australia. The fact of the matter is that Australia threw everything they had in their arsenal, and it is a massive arsenal, but Wales defended amazingly while not losing their cool.
    An indicator of how well Wales played is the fact that the only comeback the Australian media had was to blame the ref.
    England have had reasonably easy games, with no big tests so far so they might look good but when they meet a proper side they will fall short.
    NZ are consistently the best team in the world but they are beatable, only a fool would dismiss them as one of the favourite contenders but they have lost a few, all be it close, games this year so they need to turn up with their A game.
    My view is biased because I am welsh and it is a massive part of our culture, when Wales play, Wales shuts down for 80 minutes. It is one of the very few sports where we can sit at the top table with the best in the world. If Wales have a hope of winning the World Cup then this current team are the ones who have the biggest chance of all the teams that have represented Wales since 1987.
    There are many factors that will play a role in the outcome of this tournament but it will be one hell of a party if Wales do manage to pull it off.

Edited Oct 1, 2019
  3. Lenny Pepperidge Oct 1, 2019

I see what you're saying. I think that England are more talented, and when they're clicking, they're the best team in the field. It's just that they have an uncanny way of choking, letting up and just plain finding a way to lose at the worst times. Wales, on the other hand, don't have England's talent, but they are gritty and refuse to lose.

Sidnos likes this.
  4. aginoz Oct 1, 2019

Loosing to Wales is worse than loosing to England. We’ll just have to hold the Ashes real close and console our Aussie hearts with that little urn.

Mods likes this.
  5. oinkitt Oct 1, 2019

I think any of the top 6 teams mentioned by the OP have a reasonable chance of taking it out. Australia's recent win over New Zealand reinforces that view in my opinion.
    Having said that, that loss was the best thing to happen to New Zealand. I think it will make them hard to beat.

As a Kiwi..... anyone but the French!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. SeanO Oct 1, 2019

England vs NZ final I reckon (this pronouncement without looking at the actual draw).

you can't go past form and Wales (god bless 'em) don't have any form outside of the 6 Nations.

Oz to sack their coach before the end of the WC and to disappear into obscurity.

which is unfortunate because Michael Cheika told us that the team makeup was settled well before the WC began (which astonishes me as I see that the Guardian is reporting 11 changes for the next game).

Sidnos likes this.
  7. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Oct 2, 2019

Time will tell in this tournament I guess
    My bet would be on Wales to get knocked out in the quarters. England knocked out in the semis and NZ vs SA final

makaria indica likes this.
  8. makaria indica Oct 2, 2019

Have enjoyed watching " 30 grown men chase an oval pig skin round the paddock"
    As a kiwi I'll back the all blacks and anyone playing England...

Nice to see Gats coached wales get up on the weekend as well as Japan

9. MCC Oct 2, 2019

I watched the Wales v Australia game and thought either of them would beat England and I am English. I am not totally convinced by the England team, there is plenty of talent in it but also the potential to self destruct.

Overall for a winner it is difficult to see past the all Blacks just because of their track record but I do think that it could be South Africa they meet in the final.

Overall it is great to see more teams becoming competitive, Argentina, Italy and Japan have the ability to cause an upset and this can only be good for the sport.

BatDad likes this.
  10. Lenny Pepperidge Oct 2, 2019

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Georgia beats Oz.

11. machamp6650 Oct 2, 2019

Great to see some rugby banter on this forum!

As an Aussie, unusually I'd agree that Wales were the better team and looking strong last weekend. Would I describe their showing as NZ / SA / England strong though...

I wouldn't put money on it but I'd love to see the Brave Blossoms get up!

Gav1967 likes this.
  12. lillatroll Oct 2, 2019

Bloody hell you wont have any limbs left making claims like that :D

13. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 2, 2019

Shouldn’t you all be watching Rugby League instead ::stirthepot::

14. SeanO Oct 2, 2019

If you want to watch a game that is passably understandable you should.

Or you could watch AFL...

15. Lenny Pepperidge Oct 11, 2019

TIMBER!

16. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 11, 2019

Wales won’t win the tournament because it’s not being held at the Principality Stadium :whistling:

BatDad, Gav1967 and Sidnos like this.
  17. SeanO Oct 11, 2019

More likely not enough sheep in Japan to keep the travelling Welsh fans happy...

18. lillatroll Oct 11, 2019

That's why they sent your mum.

Tiny Iota likes this.
  19. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Oct 12, 2019

oh. Ewe got jokes uh :)

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 12, 2019