Forums Latest Members

2006 Omega Seamaster 300 chronograph 2599.80 Fixer Upper

1. WaffleDial Jan 21, 2020

I saw this sorry sight online late last night and decided it had to be saved. Upon awaking this morning I am suprisingly still pretty positive about my half asleep purchase (not always the case lol)

What do you guys think? I paid $935USD for it and Omega have quoted $750USD for a full overhaul including parts.

Still...I don't know if some of those marks will buff out...oh and its currently not running :/

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
    Larry S, janice&fred and kip595 like this.
  2. WaffleDial Jan 21, 2020

Also, the serial number is 80049753, which means this watch was manufactured in 2006. TBH, I have never seen a more heavily used watch in such a short time frame.

adibou likes this.
  3. kip595 Jan 21, 2020

To me it's worth the rescue, as long as you don't think you're going to then be able to flip it and then retire to the islands on your profit. :D

Then again, I'm often a sucker for 'projects' of all sorts myself, so....let us see how it turns out! :thumbsup:

janice&fred likes this.
  4. WaffleDial Jan 21, 2020

Yeah this is a keeper and yeah I am such a sucker for 'projects' :)

5. WaffleDial Jan 21, 2020

Will post photos post service for sure

6. funkright Jan 21, 2020

Ya. Used and definitely abused. Looking forward to the after pictures :thumbsup:

janice&fred likes this.
  7. verithingeoff Jan 21, 2020

Looking at Chrono24 there is one 2006 for sale at $2645US. I know the prices tend to be a bit on the high side on Chrono but I reckon you made a good buy.

8. WaffleDial Jan 22, 2020

I hope so, it certainly will put Omega to the test. I wonder how this will turn out after their service?

9. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

I wonder if the $750 overhaul price includes a new bezel and complete cosmetic makeover to the case and bracelet? from what I recall omega doesn't offer a separate bezel insert for that model. I also agree you snagged it for a very good price and hope you have other options for alternative servicing if omega's seemingly very reasonable estimate is merely for movement service. there are independent options for servicing a 7750 and cosmetic work.

10. WaffleDial Jan 22, 2020

Hi, it does include a "Refurbishing of the case and metal bracelet to original OMEGA specifications (polished, satin-finished)", however they make no mention of the bezel.

"To complete a service we usually need 4 to 8 weeks. However, for some old calibres, we have to send them to our HQ in Switzerland and the timeframe changes, 2 to 4 months.
    Please note what it’s included in a complete service.
    Dismantling of the case
    Refurbishing of the case and metal bracelet to original OMEGA specifications (polished, satin-finished)
    Assembling of the case and replacement of tube, crown, pushers and gaskets
    Restoration of water-resistance with above mentioned spare parts
    Dismantling of the movement and replacement of worn or damaged movement components
    Cleaning of the dismantled parts and movement base
    Re-assembling of the movement with new lubrication
    Replacing of the hands, if necessary
    Turning of the precision
    Technical and aesthetic final check of the assembled timepiece
    2 year warranty"

"The retail price for this service is AUD 1,100 inclusive of GST" = $750USD

I weighed all this up when I purchased this watch. I agree, there could be one or two problems which could increase the service cost, such as the clasp on the bracelet and the bezel. However, these are two items I could source myself at a later date if the quote for replacements is high. I can also live with the bezel the way it is, it looks pretty cool. This watch actually looks like it was heavily used for diving, I could be wrong, but the fading and case have the appearance of a tool watch used for its intended purpose.

Als 27, kip595 and janice&fred like this.
  11. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

wow it looks like omega is giving a lot of value for that $750 as it includes all kinds of case part replacement as well as including whatever parts are needed to service the movement. yea I think the bezel and/or insert will be the wild card as I recall otto frei selling bezel assemblies for a hefty sum. I seem to remember it was close to $500?

WaffleDial likes this.
  12. WaffleDial Jan 22, 2020

Its odd Omega dont supply replacement inserts? I will send them a follow up email now and post the response here. Watch this space :)

janice&fred likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 22, 2020

They will quote the cost for case parts that cannot be refinished.

I think $500 to $600 for clasp and bezel?

Tom

14. mjb Jan 22, 2020

Great pictures really show the wear on that watch. I'd be surprised if they can make it look like new, or even passable, but kudos to the OP for giving it a try and saving a nice watch. I'm interested to see the results.

15. ericmtl Jan 22, 2020

Wow can't wait to see how it turns out those are my favorite Omegas !

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2020

Omega doesn't supply inserts for the aluminum bezels, so a complete bezel will be the only option.

The bezel will be expensive, but using Otto Frei prices as a guide isn't a good idea - they were gouging the hell out of people with what they were charging.

Note that what you have received is not a quote, but an estimate - there's a difference.

I see no reason why the clasp would have to be replaced based on those photos. Yes, there's a friction pin missing, but all those will likely be replaced at service anyway.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, Thrasher36, dan7800 and 2 others like this.
  17. stuart70 Jan 22, 2020

Very cool. Please post the results of the service. I would almost be tempted to just get sorted mechanically and leave the patina. Was this from Japan (by any chance)?

WaffleDial and time flies like this.
  18. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

I will say one more thing in general about that particular watch. we have had a few and it's a whole lot of steel and heavy as all hell when worn. maybe if omega polishes the hell out of it to remove the damage it might loose some weight and be bearable :D

WaffleDial likes this.
  19. cholack Jan 22, 2020

I would send it to Al to fix

Als 27 and Thrasher36 like this.
  20. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

I think Al is swamped with work already but wouldn't hurt to ask him I suppose. he was too busy to take on anything I had but given that it was me I could hardly blame him :D