Forums Latest Members
  1. LeBapt Aug 7, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have made some researches here and there but I am not sure of the answer about which one of the below 2 inserts would match a 1991 Speedmaster?

As per speedmaster101.com the 70 non serif would be period correct, but I am just not sure about the font of the word TACHYMETER which is bolder than the 70 with serif.

Any thoughts?

Apologize in advance but these are the cleanest pictures I can get with my phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you

Edited Aug 7, 2022
  2. trioli_l Aug 8, 2022

The one on the top is the correct one

3. paddymoran Aug 8, 2022

I don’t think you can be definitive on this as the bezel changed from “7 with serif” to “7 sans serif” in circa 1990 so there may potentially have been some remaining older bezels used in 1991. However, allowing for that caveat, I would expect that the second of your pictures is correct for 1991. I’ve included below an extract from Moonwatch Only and you can see that this bolder font was used (Medium C) in addition to the lighter font (Wide C).

image.jpg
  4. LeBapt Aug 8, 2022

Thank you both!

Actually, I don't know if it is obvious on the pictures but regarding my inserts not only the TACHYMETRE varies, there are also the numbers which are bolder on the first one that on the second. So to sum up:

Top: TACHYMETRE regular font but bold font for the numbers
    Bottom: TACHYMETRE bold font but regular for the numbers

And when I look at your pictures it looks harmonized, all bold or all regular