1978 Speedmaster Professional

Posts
44
Likes
27
Hello guys!
I’m looking for a Speedmaster from the from my birth year and Inwas lucky enough to find a lovely one from my year and month!
To my profane eyes it looks all legit and original, also very beautiful indeed, but before pulling the trigger, as the request is obviously not low, I would need, like and appreciate your opinions. Here the photos:
 
Posts
44
Likes
27
The watch comes with the correct 1171/633 bracelet and the Extract from the Archives.
 
Posts
13,513
Likes
23,449
It looks correct but it’s not a particularly attractive example and wouldn’t be one I’d consider.
 
Posts
44
Likes
27
It looks correct but it’s not a particularly attractive example and wouldn’t be one I’d consider.
Thanks! The thing is that it fits exactly what I want, the important to me is that is all correct.
 
Posts
13,513
Likes
23,449
Depends on your goal. To me it’s ridiculous to buy an unattractive watch simply because it was made in a certain year. Much better to buy an attractive and correct watch. If you must have a birth year, I’d advise patience. Others will show up.
 
Posts
44
Likes
27
Depends on your goal. To me it’s ridiculous to buy an unattractive watch simply because it was made in a certain year. Much better to buy an attractive and correct watch. If you must have a birth year, I’d advise patience. Others will show up.
Thank you for your opinion, but why you find it so unattractive?
 
Posts
10,742
Likes
16,729
If the years haven't been kind to the OP, maybe he had a tough paper round for instance or practices bare knuckle boxing then maybe this is the perfect BY watch as it will be in keeping 😉
 
Posts
4,593
Likes
10,813
Hey, if the price is right I will consider anything!

Yes that's a page out of my own playbook. However I never understood this whole thing about birth year baloney.
 
Posts
7,772
Likes
14,363
However I never understood this whole thing about birth year baloney.
The birth year fetish escapes me as well. But it's like a lot of things, say cars and audio equipment, a particular idea or mod is done and all of a sudden people jump on the bandwagon because it's the supposedly cool thing to do. There have been a few people here who have bought a birth year watch, ordered an Extract (another fetish) and when it arrived and showed a date that was a year or two off it ruined it for them. To each his own, collecting has a lot of quirky traits.
Edited:
 
Posts
657
Likes
1,238
As David said, you'll find a better example of this reference :
- the bezel isn't really attractive
- the hands have lost some lume
- the case is well worn
- the dial doesn't have an homogeneous patina

Well, the watch already had a long life... Don't rush your buy.

About the birth thing... if it's not the watch bought for my birth, I don't give any importance for it at all.
 
Posts
13,513
Likes
23,449
Thank you for your opinion, but why you find it so unattractive?

I find the bezel tired rather than faded/ghosted, and the dial looks ‘dry’ with unattractive lume.

This obviously is my subjective opinion. Others may find it beautiful.
 
Posts
2,298
Likes
3,155
OP, cards on the table: What's the asking price? 😉
 
Posts
44
Likes
27
I already own this beautiful 145.0022 with 1861 from 2007, my idea was to sell this in order to buy the vintage one…
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,670
135.022-78 where made from 1978 to at least 1980.

these are pretty common I suggest using ilovemyspeedmaster.com to get a better idea of the date.
 
Posts
529
Likes
818
It's seems expensive for me. Lastly here on the forum I saw few beautiful 145.022 for less, like that one:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-cal-861-crs-case-1171-bracelet-circa-1985.154886/

And even if you really want to have a birth year watch it should not be so difficult to search for one in better condition and similar price.

While I agree with the comments above, this example you shared was the best I've seen in the last year (and therefore also sold overnight)
 
Posts
908
Likes
1,724
You could consider posting in the Want To Buy section here, specifying what year (and even month) Speedy you want to buy. A member might have one to sell.