Forums Latest Members
  1. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

First post on this forum so "hello" to all on OF.

I need help with a vintage Speedmaster that I purchased 8 years ago from a local vintage watch shop. I'm no expert with watches and bought this off the back of buying a new Speedmaster and then wanting a birth year watch.

The watch didn't come with box or papers but I do know the serial number as the jeweller opened the back to show me before purchase and I noted this down. I did take images of the mechanism but they are so blurred that nothing can be made out in them and could literally be any watch. I have a decent image of the inside of the case cover though but I appreciate this only gives a very limited amount of information.

The watch came with it's original steel bracelet but I took this off the right away as I don't like steel bracelets but I also figured it would be best to keep this in good condition. I replaced with a new Omega leather rally strap which I think suits this watch much better.

I'd like to try and find out if all the parts are original and the exact age as far as possible. Please can you let me know what information/images are required in order to do this and whether or not I should purchase a tool to remove the case back myself to obtain good images or wait until after lockdown take to a jeweller to do this. I'd prefer to remove myself to allow me to take my time getting good images of the inside for future reference.

I'd also like advice on whether it's worth spending the money getting Certificate of Authenticity or an Extract From The Archives through Omega and what I should do with regards servicing the watch as I'm reluctant to have the original parts replaced.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Regards,

CH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 27, 2020
    red crowned and Passover like this.
  2. EdtheAussie Mar 27, 2020

Hey CH,

Post some photos and we can help!

ClawHammer likes this.
  3. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Hi there!
    I wanted to post pics of the mechanism too so wanting advice on this. I could order a "friction ball" for next day delivery and get images of the inside of the watch if it's okay to do this?

4. EdtheAussie Mar 27, 2020

If you can take it to a local watchmaker, they will be able to safely open it.

But in the mean time you can post some nice photos of the watch!

ClawHammer and Passover like this.
  5. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Okay, I just took a load of shots with my macro lens. Just uploading to Flickr so I can put them on here.... assume that will work?

6. EdtheAussie Mar 27, 2020

Actually where are you located? I'm sure some members could suggest a place to have it looked at.

7. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

I'm based in the UK

8. bags1971 Mar 27, 2020

Where in U.K.

9. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Near to Liverpool

10. Passover Mar 27, 2020

ClawHammer likes this.
  11. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

That was a bit of a rush!! It's brought it back as being an Oct '76 model so, according to that source, it was made in my birth year which is great so thanks for that. I'll continue to read the information on that website tonight. In the meantime I'm waiting for my images to upload to my computer but it seems to be taking forever.

12. Passover Mar 27, 2020

::popcorn::

ClawHammer likes this.
  13. Passover Mar 27, 2020

From my humble knowledge everything looks OK for a -76: Dial, bezel but wait for the experts!

Confirmation for the reference number inside the caseback is still necessary.

Case looks a bit polished

Check out this:

https://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/

Please add a large straight on picutre of the dial!

EDIT: 1171/633 bracelet would be correct also for a -76

Edited Mar 27, 2020
    ClawHammer likes this.
  14. KP-99 Mar 27, 2020

Someone cleaned the dial lume, I think?!
    Otherwise, it looks correct to me....

ClawHammer likes this.
  15. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Do you mean the lume in the markers on the main dial?

16. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Thanks Passover,

Relieved to hear everything looks okay/original. I'm sure you know much more than I do but I will be reading up on this to confirm everything is original now that I've been pointed in the direction of a couple of websites.

I've ordered a "ball" to open the case back and this should arrive on Sunday. However, I'm certain of the movement number because I created a document when I was researching the watch before I even found the one I ended up purchasing and I noted it within that document plus it's noted on the receipts too.

What are the implications of the case being polished? Is this good/bad?

17. KP-99 Mar 27, 2020

Yes.
    Here is my 1976 Speedmaster:
    [​IMG]
    My Speedmaster has a different bracelet, I mounted an Omega 1175.
    But you can see the lume on the hour markers.

ClawHammer likes this.
  18. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

I see that now. Yeah, it looks like somebody has wiped away all the lume on the face. The markers are literally white paint but I can see yours seems to have that under the lume so it's not as though the white markers were added, just revealed.

I'm sure that would affect the resale value but I'm not really concerned about that as I don't plan to sell.

19. ClawHammer Mar 27, 2020

Lovely watch by the way... did you get box and/or papers with it?

20. Passover Mar 27, 2020

I don't know if you will succeed opening the case with a ball, be careful!

Having a picture of the inner caseback and the serial number of the movement it is not necessary to open the case IMO

145022-76 ST right?

Seems like you have a correct vintage Speedmaster but wait for confirmation by others.

Is there lumious (yellowish) material on the hour markers?

When a watch case gets polished material is removed and the case starts loosing its original look.

If you enjoy wearing your watch this shouldn't bother you too much :)

[​IMG]

ClawHammer likes this.