1970's Omega Seamaster 120 “Non-BabyPloProf” 166.0251

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie here so thanks for letting me in. I’m just seeking advice as I’m looking to add a 1970's Omega Seamaster 120 “Non-BabyPloProf” 166.0251 to my collection which includes a few IWC’s, Grand Seiko, Ming and Cartier. I’m really taken with the look of this watch. I’ve seen one online recently which looks great, but when I look closely, I’m slightly worried about the chamfers not being sufficiently sharp, over polished and suspicious that the dial and hands look too good for a 50-year-old watch. But I could be wrong about all that and I’m hoping that you guys know better! Attaching a couple of pics. Obviously I know that the bezel insert is is in a bad condition IMG_9289.jpeg IMG_9290.jpeg ; I was thinking to use odokadolo (who were very responsive and helpful when I enquired) to create a new bezel insert. Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated and indeed if you know of another example of this watch that’s for sale then I’ll be very interested to hear. Many many thanks for any input! Cheers, Ian (UK)

As stated this is a service dial which has only one fat marker at 12, the original would have two thinner hour markers. I wouldn’t touch the bezel, it won’t be that bad to look at in person. An original example would be ideal if you don’t mind waiting.

Also my least favourite combination, an integrated bracelet.
Makes it hard to change straps/bracelets.
If it doesn't fit and you need extra links they can be hard to find.

Thanks all. I thought the hands and dial were too good to be true but to be honest I’m not a purist and indeed finding a perfect original example is just a not starter.

This design really speaks to me - 70s cool, integrated bracelet. I have at last count 9 watches but only one is a bracelet watch - it’s an iwc ingenieur automatic
323904, white face, which is actually the one that the new and much more expensive version is based on. So to add another integrated bracelet watch, which has a black face and is not a Rolex (just my view) is a good fit.

what do you all think of the chamfer - angle between the face and the bracelet? Looks a bit ‘rounded off’ to me but I haven’t seen it in person yet and indeed your comments might cause me to jump on a train to see it face to face… or not

many thanks

Ian

The edges of the case do look a little rounded over in my opinion. Although if it’s the same watch I enquired about a little while ago, it comes with the original dial and hands that were retained after the service. It might be worth enquiring about them with the seller.

There was a lovely 166.0251 on Australian EBay a few weeks back… needless to say it wasn’t on for long!

Cheers Andy

Also the bracelets for these do crop up, both used and NOS from time to time, so getting an extra link if a bracelet is too short is a possibility. It’s just a bit of a waiting game, like it is with most things vintage Seamaster related nowadays.

Also the bracelets for these do crop up, both used and NOS from time to time, so getting an extra link if a bracelet is too short is a possibility. It’s just a bit of a waiting game, like it is with most things vintage Seamaster related nowadays.

I have to clarify this point, the new bracelet is available at Omega for the equivalent of 550€ as are the links at the price of 31€ each, there is a guy who is exaggerating and is trying to sell bracelets for 950€ on ebay , it's way too expensive.

Are changed out parts always returned with the watch? Does Omega ever retain them? How long do you think they retain them?

This is one of my favourite watches of all time. Want to add it to my collection sometimes. Things to think about:

1. Its really expensive for a vintage watch, and not a common choice to spend your money on in this price range. Doesn't matter if you never want to sell it, but just to keep in mind.
2. I had a watch with a similar bracelet in my collection. Mine was a Seamaster Cosmic 166.0196. Has the 1257/220 bracelet. Yours has the 1321/295. If you look them up, almost identical. So, problem is: no micro adjustment. I sold my watch because of the bracelet, it was either too small or too long.

If you want to buy the 166.0251, i know one that has been professionally restored by Omega. It is for sale in the Netherlands. Message me if you want to know more.

1. Its really expensive for a vintage watch,

2. So, problem is: no micro adjustment. I sold my watch because of the bracelet, it was either too small or too long.

If you want to buy the 166.0251, i know one that has been professionally restored by Omega. It is for sale in the Netherlands. Message me if you want to know more.

1 what price do you have in mind to say that it is expensive? I find that it is less expensive than a 165024 for a much rarer watch and does not seem odd to me.

2 I am surprised because the buckle has 2 adjustment notches and it is perfect for switching from wrist mode in winter to wrist mode in summer, I have had so many watches without any adjustment possible that I appreciate this one too for that.

If there is one for sale in the Netherlands it would be interesting to know, but if they were made by Omega it must have a luminova dial and hands, right? Where can we find the ad? it's not that far from my house by train....

I thank you in advance

1 what price do you have in mind to say that it is expensive? I find that it is less expensive than a 165024 for a much rarer watch and does not seem odd to me.

2 I am surprised because the buckle has 2 adjustment notches and it is perfect for switching from wrist mode in winter to wrist mode in summer, I have had so many watches without any adjustment possible that I appreciate this one too for that.

If there is one for sale in the Netherlands it would be interesting to know, but if they were made by Omega it must have a luminova dial and hands, right? Where can we find the ad? it's not that far from my house by train....

I thank you in advance

1. if find 6,5k for this specific watch a lot of money, but thats a personal view. A vintage speedmaster or even a new one is for sale for those amounts of money.

2. Yes, i know. but i find the extented position of the buckle not nice to look at. But hey, also personal.

3. Will send you a PB with the ad.

1. if find 6,5k for this specific watch a lot of money

I completely agree with you, 6.5 is a lot, I thought the market price was more around 4k

Are changed out parts always returned with the watch? Does Omega ever retain them? How long do you think they retain them?

from what I know omega and zenith continue to return spare parts

The edges of the case do look a little rounded over in my opinion. Although if it’s the same watch I enquired about a little while ago, it comes with the original dial and hands that were retained after the service. It might be worth enquiring about them with the seller.

There was a lovely 166.0251 on Australian EBay a few weeks back… needless to say it wasn’t on for long!

Cheers Andy

Any inside information about the selling price?