1970s Bulova identification

Going through a bunch of my grandfathers stuff and came across this bulova from the 70s. I only assume it's from then because of an anniversary inscription on the case back. I don't really care for it that much and would like to try and sell it off. I really don't know a good or even fair price to sell it at. It has three diamonds in it which I don't know if they're real or not. It doesn't look to be any kind of solid gold, probably gold filled? I can't get the case back off to look for further info. Not sure of the model if there even is one. Just was looking for some info on it. Thanks!

I agree that it's not solid gold and also not terribly collectible at the moment. But it's an interesting look and someone might appreciate it if you can cast the net broadly. Have you considered just putting it on eBay in a no-reserve auction?

Not a particularly handsome piece, but I have a mate the loves that sort of '70s ugliness..... he can't be the only one, whilst it mightn't fetch a great price, there musy be someone that'd want it, so yeah I'd stick it on ebay and see what happens.

Not a particularly handsome piece, but I have a mate the loves that sort of '70s ugliness..... he can't be the only one, whilst it mightn't fetch a great price, there musy be someone that'd want it, so yeah I'd stick it on ebay and see what happens.
There are a few members here who love that kind of ugliness, but has to have VC or PP on the dial. They want their disco-nasty in solid gold.

Yeah I'll give ebay a shot, at least it's manual winding works and keeps good time. Thanks for the help!

Yeah I'll give ebay a shot, at least it's manual winding works and keeps good time. Thanks for the help!
Sorry to not have better news about the box find. This was the era when Bulova was dying a slow painful death and grasping at any design elements that were popular at the time, but still had the name recognition of their former glory as a premium brand.

Sorry to not have better news about the box find. This was the era when Bulova was dying a slow painful death and grasping at any design elements that were popular at the time, but still had the name recognition of their former glory as a premium brand.
No worries! I'm not expecting much from it so it's no big deal if I can't really find any info on it. I was more or less trying to Guage a starting price for it if I could find ones in similar style with the diamond dial that have been sold. If they diamonds are real then the price could be a bit higher if they're not then the price would be lower, ya know. I do appreciate the advice though on just tossing it on a auction on ebay and seeing what happens. I'm sure, like others have said, that someone would be interested in it.

Bulova codes for dates was:
L=50’s
M=60’s
N=70’s
Number is year, so yours is 1975- right around when the shit hit the fan.
Oh ok gotcha, what was their downfall?

Ohhh yeah....that makes sense. Unfortunate
Bulova was one of the American premier mass consumer brands until the early 70’s (most Americans knew of Omega, few had heard of Rolex until the late 60’s, but everyone knew Bulova).

They were pioneers in the battery operated tech with their tuning fork (aka hummer due to the sound they make) movements in 1962, a predecessor to quartz and amazing for its day. Accurate to within a few seconds per year when tuned properly. One of the early tuning fork models they made was a pilots watch called the “Astronaut” that several NASA astronauts wore- it was a sensation (there are pics of Elvis wearing one too).

Several companies, including Omega licensed the tech for their own watches as it was cutting edge and chronometer accurate. But it was expensive and complicated technology requiring skilled tech’s and specialized equipment to keep them working to spec. When quartz hit the market in the mid-70’s the Japanese dominated the cheap and reliable tech which was by its nature even more accurate than the hummers (the cheapest quartz watch is far more accurate than the most expensive mechanical watches).

The “quartz crisis” revolutionized the industry (cheap more accurate movements in mass quantities) but those who weren’t quick to adapt (like Bulova) or carve out their own niche in the luxury market (like Rolex) died. It was a sea-chang the likes of the film to digital transition in photography and companies that had gotten big, fat and lazy felt it the hardest.

Bulova was one of the American premier mass consumer brands until the early 70’s (most Americans knew of Omega, few had heard of Rolex until the late 60’s, but everyone knew Bulova).

They were pioneers in the battery operated tech with their tuning fork (aka hummer due to the sound they make) movements in 1962, a predecessor to quartz and amazing for its day. Accurate to within a few seconds per year when tuned properly. One of the early tuning fork models they made was a pilots watch called the “Astronaut” that several NASA astronauts wore- it was a sensation (there are pics of Elvis wearing one too).

Several companies, including Omega licensed the tech for their own watches as it was cutting edge and chronometer accurate. But it was expensive and complicated technology requiring skilled tech’s and specialized equipment to keep them working to spec. When quartz hit the market in the mid-70’s the Japanese dominated the cheap and reliable tech which was by its nature even more accurate than the hummers (the cheapest quartz watch is far more accurate than the most expensive mechanical watches).

The “quartz crisis” revolutionized the industry (cheap more accurate movements in mass quantities) but those who weren’t quick to adapt (like Bulova) or carve out their own niche in the luxury market (like Rolex) died. It was a sea-chang the likes of the film to digital transition in photography and companies that had gotten big, fat and lazy felt it the hardest.
Love a good history lesson. I knew of the Quartz crisis just not in depth. Never really looked into Bulova's history as a brand before, but thank you for giving this nice insight on it. Learned something new today!

Love a good history lesson. I knew of the Quartz crisis just not in depth. Never really looked into Bulova's history as a brand before, but thank you for giving this nice insight on it. Learned something new today!
There are a few threads here on Bulova- several of us have a real love for them. They were an incredible brand with a diverse catalog from dress watches to serious tool watches (for their time)- always high quality until they collapsed in the 70’s. Then it was a dark period of total shit while the company changed hands a few times as each owner cheapened the brand. Finally they were bought by Citizen and their most recent heritage reissues of the last decade (I ignore their fashion watches) have been fabulous. Not of the same quality as their glory years, but solidly made with citizen reliability and price point.
And we can’t have a thread about Bulova without a little snorkeling

IMG_4629.jpeg

There are a few threads here on Bulova- several of us have a real love for them. They were an incredible brand with a diverse catalog from dress watches to serious tool watches (for their time)- always high quality until they collapsed in the 70’s. Then it was a dark period of total shit while the company changed hands a few times as each owner cheapened the brand. Finally they were bought by Citizen and their most recent heritage reissues of the last decade (I ignore their fashion watches) have been fabulous. Not of the same quality as their glory years, but solidly made with citizen reliability and price point.
And we can’t have a thread about Bulova without a little snorkeling

IMG_4629.jpeg
Though I am unfortunately not a fan of metal bracelets, that style of watch (not function wise), and the size, I can absolutely appreciate others admiration for the brand during their golden era of pieces. Orange is my favorite color so that middle one is perfect but just way too large. I would need a 38mm or 36! I will have to check out some of their newer pieces. Any you would recommend?