Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1970s Bulova 'D' Chronograph (Similar to Autavia) - Beautiful Condition

1. kip595 Dec 21, 2020

Hi guys;

This one is being posted primarily because as I realized after putting the most noticeable scratch on the otherwise (IMO) fantastic case myself just a week ago, it is simply too nice for me to feel comfortable using in the rotation. It is w/o a doubt the single nicest D chrono I've come across, but as much as I enjoy looking at it someone else will be able to give it a better life on the wrist than I currently can. Now on to some pics!

DSC00222 (2).JPG DSC00224.JPG DSC00225.JPG DSC00227.JPG DSC00230.JPG DSC00240.JPG DSC00241.JPG DSC00242.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG

As can be seen there are minor swirls and scuffs, as well as a few micro-scratches - the worst, near the 5-6 area of the case, were admittedly caused by myself recently and I honestly can't bear to think of putting too much wear on a piece that has aged so well. All edges remain sharp and while I cannot guarantee the case has never been polished, it would surprise me.

Service history is unknown, however all functions work perfectly, with a smooth wind and strong power reserve; time keeping has been excellent in my observation although I do not own a timegrapher at present. Chrono sets, works, and resets crisply (please DM me for video if you would like). I believe all 'D' model chronos of this sort utilized a Bulova-signed Valjoux 7734 hand-wind movement, however please be aware I have not removed the caseback as I've had no reason to and lack a proper caseback tool for this design as well. I have no reason to doubt that this movement is in use here, however if anyone has any concerns please feel free to reach out, as always.

The crystal, which I suspect to be original, does have numerous micro-abrasions, although I believe a dab of polywatch would clear it right up. I leave this up to the next owner. There is no noticeable effect on clarity when wearing the watch that I've noticed in my use.

The original bracelet snaps crisply closed with little stretch and could be adjusted up to approximately a 7.6-7.75" wrist.

Comps have been somewhat difficult to find, with ebay examples especially being insanely priced in my view, so I am listing it under the nearest similar pieces I can currently find, and am willing to talk it over with any interested parties. While this design is extremely similar to some Heuer chronos of the same era, I recognize that this is not that. :)

Please do note: due to some recent very unfortunate issues with non-OF members and the USPS itself, I will ONLY ship via insured FedEx or UPS - I will cover these costs.

Asking $1200 USD shipped CONUS as described. Trades will be considered, however preference is toward Omega and Tudor, primarily modern - all trades, + or -, will be considered. *To clarify; I am open to reasonable offers.

As always thanks for looking and I hope everyone is having a safe and happy holiday season.

*I didn't realize, but another member actually just sold one of the very similar Autavia models here on the forum!

Edited Dec 31, 2020
  2. JwRosenthal Dec 23, 2020

This watch is a stunner! They don’t come up often, and when they do, rarely looking like this!
    GLWS.

Larry S and kip595 like this.
  3. knafel1983 Dec 24, 2020

I have this exact same style. Wonderful watch, and a much better value than a Heuer. GLWTS!

kip595 likes this.
  4. kip595 Dec 25, 2020

Thanks for the kind words, @JwRosenthal and @knafel1983 - Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all, regardless of faith/s! :cool:

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 25, 2020

Collector grade Bulova ... Fair price. It’s lovely.

JwRosenthal and kip595 like this.
  6. kip595 Dec 27, 2020

One more bump for the weekend then onwards to NYE!

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season :)

7. kip595 Dec 30, 2020

Let's try one more time before the new year :)

8. kip595 Dec 31, 2020

What the heck, one more time and happy New Year's Eve to all - may 2021 be FAR better for EVERYONE! ::psy::

9. kip595 Jan 1, 2021

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a great start!

*SOLD 1/1/2021 - Thanks to all and OF for the space!

Edited Jan 1, 2021
    Zdzislaw likes this.