Forums Latest Members
  1. JetLinks Oct 9, 2019

Hello gents!

Sorry I had to disappear for a quick minute to take care of a few security issues but old man Speedie is now all safe and sound so here are some of the extra pics that were requested.

As an update, it looks like my Dad is talking to some auction houses in Europe so my dream of being passed on the watch that my Grandfather bought him on his 21st birthday are pretty much gone!! :(:(

I've told him that at the very least he should get another Racer watch that he can wear & enjoy so any suggestions??

(I'm liking the Japanese racing watches but not the 3570.40 as my budget can only really afford the 3518.50).

Racing Red Face.jpg Racing Red Set.jpg Racing Red inside.jpg
    Edited Oct 10, 2019
    Etp095, 03Hemi, Flatfoot and 30 others like this.
  2. Wuza72 Oct 9, 2019

Take the watch and run away ….. verry fast and verry far ;)

3. Sherbie Oct 9, 2019

Just hand over an adequate wad of notes to you father !

Simples

Etp095, felsby, chronos and 1 other person like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Oct 9, 2019

So how much do you value speaking with your father :whistling:

5. wagudc Oct 9, 2019

I can understand his perspective, and it is his watch, but that has to be hard for you. :unsure: I am of the belief that people can do whatever the hell they want with their money, and that you should not expect anything as an inheritance. However, in my mind this rule should not apply to watches. To me history is worth so much more than money. Of course I don't know the circumstances here and should mind my own business. :thumbsdown: On the plus side you would be more comfortable wearing other racer daily.

Etp095 likes this.
  6. Ville_W Oct 9, 2019

I have no clue about your fathers economy and his plans but at least I would be more happy to pass this watch with its history to my son when it’s time than a load of money.

Etp095, KingCrouchy and JimJupiter like this.
  7. repoman Oct 9, 2019

Search this forum for some good threads on placing a watch with an auction house, and negotiating sellers fees, etc. There's some good info to be had here. Best of luck to your dad, and sorry you won't be getting the watch.

Etp095 likes this.
  8. larryganz The cable guy Oct 10, 2019

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 10, 2019

I guess that means your Dad hadn’t cared about my dibs from the previous deleted thread :D

on a serious note : poor poor you! I would be gutted, but I am certain he will put this cash injection to good use. Also remember advice from the previous thread : it would be an honor for any auction house to auction this watch -> as such negotiate 0% sellers fees (nothing more! They will still make their buyers premium of about 25% on the hammer price).

Anyone care to speculate what this stunner will sell for at auction? I’ll go first.

$95k total (hammer + buyers premium)

Etp095 and southtexas like this.
  10. CPRwatch Oct 10, 2019

Thanks for the update & the pictures are amazing , what a superb watch. It must be a bit difficult to know that your Dad has such a wonderful watch and he is possibly going to sell it , but I’m sure he is selling for the right reasons . If my Dad was in the same position with such a high value watch I think it might be best for him to sell it & enjoy the money with my Mother ( they are retired) rather than hope he would pass it onto me because if he did there would possibly be some serious sibling fallouts between myself and my brothers & sisters . Only because the value of the watch would be far greater than any other item my father owns apart from his house . Anyway best of luck to you & you’re Dad & hope the watch brings a record sale :thumbsup:

11. whyboddau Oct 10, 2019

Gorgeous watch! He may be talking to auction houses but you never know til it’s gone! Either way, be glad you’ve had an experience with it.

12. wagudc Oct 10, 2019

13. WYO_Watch Oct 10, 2019

Thanks for the photos! I love when a good watch returns ::love::

You’ll may get accused and insulted for promoting your watch before it goes to auction, but take it with a grain of salt. Most of us are grateful for the chance to see such a cool piece of history. I am all for your father cashing in his present for whatever reason he wants and think a modern replacement is a fine way to remember the watch.

Heed the advice above with the auction houses. Not that I have any experience, but there are preferred places and obviously preferred fees. I would agree that this watch is special enough that they shouldn’t ask you for a dime to sell it.

14. mzinski Oct 10, 2019

Wow! What a cool watch! From what I gather of the OP and comments, it's really unfortunate it's going to auction. It would be lovely to see this passed on thru the family.

New here, is there more backstory to this watch? What happened in the old thread that got it deleted?

15. JetLinks Oct 10, 2019

Well let's say this much, I don't want to it to leave the family..... a special watch is a special watch! It was bought for a normal price back in 1970 and therefore is a great timepiece regardless. But then when you look at it's value and then as @CPRwatch mentioned, how it wouldn't be fair that being the only boy, I would get a watch worth squillions (OK, I exaggerate a tad!) whilst my two sisters fought over a few rings, etc.

But walking around with this on his wrist is sort of a liability, plus he hardly wore it because it didn't have a date & needed to be wound each day, which now actually has helped the watch be in A++ condition.

It's a tough one, but having extra money in his retirement years would make a much bigger impact than this watch being in his safe. I just wish it was worth less, i.e. not worth enough to sell, so better to pass onto ME!!

How do I figure out this 0% auction fee because Sotheby's in London told him 10% (eff THAT!!) so I've told him to not commit to anything yet?

Etp095, lando, WatchCor and 6 others like this.
  16. Cad290 Oct 10, 2019

10% is not good. I had Phillips auction a nice Speedmaster for me and their initial offer was a 4% sellers fee

Etp095 and Mods like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Oct 10, 2019

18. jhross98 Oct 10, 2019

10% is a joke and not a serious offer. They must think you don't know what the market is

Personally I have found Philips gets the best prices as a seller. Not always, but on balance.

I would tell all 3 major houses (Philips, Sotheby's, Christie's) they are in competition against the others and give you the best deal on fees they have and tell you exactly what they are going to do to market your watch. Its not a 7-figure patek 2499 that could anchor an auction or the like but its special enough i would think you could get down close to zero fees

Etp095 and Cad290 like this.
  19. MikeMan2727 Oct 10, 2019

+1 for Phillips. They have the best results and knowledge from what I have seen. 10% sotheby's is a joke!

KingCrouchy, CJpickup57 and Cad290 like this.
  20. chronoboy64 Oct 10, 2019

I have no experience with auction houses as a seller. But I think as a EU based seller you might take into consideration that Phillips is not located within the EU. I would think that you have to Import your watch to Switzerland in order to get it auctioned by Phillips. In this case the Import VAT and customs fees might be higher than a specific sellers fee.
    Am I wrong ?
    Best