Forums Latest Members

1967 Speedmaster Professional restoration complete! 105.012-65 HF

1. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Hey Omega Forum guys!

I posted my watch to reddit a couple days ago and I have been updating the process over there but have been neglecting this forum. So here goes.

I bought this watch off of craigslist for $500, Im sure some of you remember. Anyway, I showed it off, then asked about service and went with ABC Watchwerks. It just came in three days ago and I was gonna show you all how it came out.

Unfortunately I had to replace the DON (i still have it) but it was ugly so I put a replacement on it. ABC got the chrono working, they re-lumed the hands but you can't even tell (if i sell I will disclose that). One pusher was repaired one was replaced(period correct), new hesalite, and everything else was just cleaned, no polishing on the case, and I even put it on a NATO because thats just what you do. So im in my pre moon speedy $2200-/+ and I am super excited about it and my girlfriend is ready to kill me from talking about it so i'm posting here.

Im interested to hear your guys' opinions, what do you think I should do to it next? Ice it out? (joking)
    What do you think its worth?
    IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0135.JPG 5PgaCII8Qc+oKohsde2%QA.jpg IMG_0119.JPG VzaCU+JiQR2YWwY%SbxAJw.jpg IMG_0116.JPG

Etp095, jimmyd13, Screwbacks and 6 others like this.
  2. sevenhelmet Dec 24, 2017

Very nice! I think you made the right call, replacing that DON bezel. That looks like a squared away Speedy. :cool:

Happy holidays.

jricketts65 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

Well your original bezel is worth more... did you keep it?

jricketts65 and Nathan1967 like this.
  4. sevenhelmet Dec 24, 2017

Why is a DON bezel that looks like it was put through a wood chipper worth more than a nicely restored watch?

It's questions like this that keep me out of vintage watches... just because something looks nice, doesn't mean it's "good", and vice-versa. It's a confusing world. :confused:

photo500, GGG964 and jricketts65 like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

Why is there no premium for a 220... it just is what people will pay.

6. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Yes I kept it, Its in the safe. Im gonna buy a nicer one hopefully mid 2018 and sell the crappy one for a few bucks to really make this watch original.

Etp095, George.A, Nathan1967 and 2 others like this.
  7. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Its just the "good stuff" idk man its a piece of painted aluminum. but its what people wanna pay I guess.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

It’s not a bad to have a modern replacement, but value takes a 2k hit for the cost of making it right.

Lume match looks good. Was the dials lume bad enough to need a relume? It looks pretty good in the before picture.

jricketts65 likes this.
  9. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Nope that was left alone, and I was sketched out by the hands being redone but it came out nice. as for the DON, I guess Ill just have to take a 2k loss if I ever sell it but as a 23yo college kid I can't afford a nice DON. plus non watch guys can't tell the difference.

Etp095, murph and Foo2rama like this.
  10. sevenhelmet Dec 24, 2017

I think it looks great. Wear it in good health! :thumbsup:

southtexas, Foo2rama and jricketts65 like this.
  11. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Thanks !

12. ICONO Dec 24, 2017

Personally, I think a vintage watch should wear its cosmetic history with pride……

Otherwise it just looks like ANY modern Speedmaster……

Personally…I would not have changed the bezel…until I found a better original DON…and even then…I am not sure I would have changed it

Rather like ‘interesting’ Women……Battered, with history has charm, & appeal……whereas, ‘clinically pristine’ is a bit sterile…

bigdubnick, jaguar11, lando and 7 others like this.
  13. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

I agree to an extent, you would not show up to a classic car show with a totaled car, just like you would not show up with a replica. I was in that situation with my DON, wear a trashed watch, or wear a "replica". Id rather have the DON, but Id REALLY rather have a good looking watch, plus i can always swap em out.

14. ICONO Dec 24, 2017

Ah……well………I would actually show up, at a classic car show, with a gently totalled early Porsche 911 (930)…but then I am not trying to impress anyone……I am simply there to show the car…

All depends on what you define as ‘good looking’…?

Paedipod and jricketts65 like this.
  15. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

The replacement doesn't fit the look of the vintage watch you are right. I wash my car every weekend, and I can't sit at a messy desk. Im a visual kinda guy, though I understand the sentiment behind the earned scars and the originality of the 50yo watch, I will daily this watch so Im gonna spruce it up, besides, im on the hunt for a nice DON every day.

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 24, 2017

Well done :thumbsup:

You have got a superb 50year old watch that can wait for you (for at least another 50 years) to finish college and afford a better don. So no sweat now. During that time however you might just grow to love the gnarlyness of your current don, and thus end up where u r now...

Wear in good health, with much success and good memories that you will forever look back upon...

murph and red crowned like this.
  17. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

Thank you!

18. ICONO Dec 24, 2017

Everyone has different viewpoints……that what makes human beings interesting, & vibrant

Again, personally… I am not sure, I ever saw an image of Steve McQueen, in brand new Levi’s, with razor edge creases………?

Probably a generational thing……Hey Ho !…If you like the watch, then why should you need anyone else’s approval / validation…

19. repoman Dec 24, 2017

nicely done sir... Personally, I love that meteored bezel and would put that bad boy right back on the watch, but partly that's because I'm 53 urs old now. 20 years ago, I wanted my watches to look "brand new". Now, I want all my watches to look old and used.

murph and jricketts65 like this.
  20. jricketts65 Dec 24, 2017

I feel it, That seems to be the response of most. The DON gives it character, maybe in a few years ill get a nicer period correct one.