Forums Latest Members
  1. Justme Sep 28, 2017

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple of years. The information provided has been great because I am a picker and I come across Omegas here and there. But this year, I've come across more Omegas and I'm at the point where I am keeping them instead of reselling. Hence, my latest find that I cannot part with. I purchased it in a thrift store for cheap. In the last 2 months, it is the third Omega I have found...after a Pie Pan and a Seamaster. I have not had the others serviced, but I wil enventually. Anyway, I'm looking at: What are my best options for restoring the watch based on cost? I'm not sure if Omega has the best price for the correct tachometer or if buying one off eBay would be better. Which would require the services of a great shop that would use parts I supplied...and then warranty the work. I did receive a quote for getting the band's springs replaced for about $250 plus shipping. And also, would the value afterward be worth a possible restoration cost of $1200-$1800(I'm guessing). I don't have that kind of money to spend, but as a picker, I have several decent watches and precious metals that I would sell if the expense is worth it. If it's cost probibitive, I would part it out and sell. But I would rather keep this watch as it would be the nicest one I have owned up to this point in my life!

Etp095 likes this.
  2. bgrisso Sep 28, 2017

Hey and congrats on the purchases. Need lots of good pics to answer your questions. Do you mean a 145.012-67? If so you would need DON bezel, several thousand alone. Does it need other parts? Service only maybe $400ish but the rest totally depends on parts.
    Do not send the watch to omega unless you want it ruined plus a fat bill.
    I wouldn't be too focused on warranty if you are trying to pick up cheap used parts yourself. Maybe consider a modern used bezel if you don't want to spend tons.
    Anyhow.....pics!

Justme and gdupree like this.
  3. bags1971 Sep 28, 2017

pics?

4. bgrisso Sep 28, 2017

Photos

demchocholips likes this.
  5. Damo Sep 28, 2017

More pics the better...

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 28, 2017

Any pics would be better.

7. rcs914 Sep 28, 2017

Just to get on the pictures train... Seriously though originality is key to value. Omega factory servicing does not care one whit for originality, and many very valuable watches have been destroyed by them. Please post some pictures, as the experts here can definitely help you assess what is original, etc.

Justme likes this.
  8. M'Bob Sep 28, 2017

Pics, photos, magazine cut-outs, sketches, wood-block print, oil painting...something.

Justme likes this.
  9. Mozziebite Sep 28, 2017

WHAT??!! NO PICS?
    fullsizeoutput_319.jpeg

Justme and Etp095 like this.
  10. Justme Sep 28, 2017

11. Justme Sep 28, 2017

Took me minute to post the photos...I hate threads without pics! Haha! BTW, I'm in the US and there are a couple of reputable jewelers nearby, but I don't want to chance messing up this restoration. My boss is very interested in buying it if I don't keep it. But he and both think it will be worth the investment.

12. rcs914 Sep 28, 2017

I'm going to guess, that it is most valuable to a collector in the condition that it is currently in, because they can then take it to a watchmaker that they know and trust. This is pretty much "barn find" condition. The big hit is the missing bezel, which will be almost $4K to replace with a correct one. The other issue is that those wide pushers are pretty difficult to come by as well. But the case looks like it has terrifically sharp facets that have never been polished - don't do anything to that.

13. M'Bob Sep 28, 2017

Dial is fantastic.

Justme and Seaborg like this.
  14. bgrisso Sep 28, 2017

That’s not a 67 speedmaster, it’s a 105 012-66 CB
    And a nice one at that. Case looks amazing. Dial and hands pretty nice. If you don’t want to drop the $ on a DON bezel I would just pic up a used service bezel and ship the thing off to Archer for a full service

Value just check speedmaster 101 and deduct the missing bezel.

Great that u have the bracelet and end pieces also.

I’m going to torture myself and go ahead and ask what u paid for it?

Congrats!

Etp095, mikechi22 and Justme like this.
  15. Justme Sep 28, 2017

Thanks for the replies...$4K for the bezel is amazing?! Wow. As far as the price...well...um...$20.00. The two in my avatar cost me $17.99 and $30.00. All purchased within the last 6 weeks.

16. bgrisso Sep 28, 2017

Wow. Why does this never happen to me. Lol.
    The 105 012 is worth a lot.

Justme likes this.
  17. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 28, 2017

Well many, if not most, -66s were made in 1967 so it is fair to say you're both accurate.:)

To the OP, you have a valuable watch there, but the restoration won't be cheap. The movement obviously should be serviced and may need parts. You need a new pusher and bezel, neither of which are cheap for original, correct ones. The $4k quote above is for a mint bezel, there are less expensive, but correct original bezels out there in lesser condition from say $1500 on up. You can get by with cheaper, modern replacements but that's still additional cost. Having the original bracelet is nice, but it looks like it needs to be repaired. The case, dial, and hands all look great, except that the center chronograph hand looks possibly bent. Not sure if that's going to be a problem, but again more $$ if it is.

I would not let the restoration costs intimidate you, they are worth it on a watch like this. The correct parts and a competent watchmaker would be an investment. No matter what you do, don't let anyone touch any part of it with a polishing wheel.

18. lando Sep 28, 2017

Ah, yes. If you would have paid $2000, that would have been cheap. $20 is more like a steal.

Justme, Etp095 and Damo like this.
  19. jimmyd13 Sep 28, 2017

Find the money and restore. Unless you would like me to double your money? I'll happily part with $40 for that, in that condition ... I'll even pick up postage.

Justme likes this.
  20. Davidt Sep 28, 2017

Wow that's going to be great after a restoration!

Where on earth did you find that for $20?!

Justme and Etp095 like this.