Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1966 Miramar EPSA Supercompressor Dive Watch, A. Schild 1903

1. Dr.Sascha Sep 9, 2020

On offer is a classic dual-crown supercompressor dive watch, of a type that is becoming increasingly rare and collectable. Super-Compressor refers to a patented case-sealing method developed by watch-case manufacturer Ervin Piquerez S.A. (EPSA). This system employs an interior bezel and a specially-designed crystal, creating a closed system where exterior pressure tightens the seal. Here's the Worn & Wound write-up on them: https://wornandwound.com/guide-super-compressors/
    The watch is all original, including dial, hands, lume, domed crystal, and dual cross-hatched crowns. The upper crown, employing a star-shaped gear (visible in the movement pic below) rotates the interior bezel birectionally, while the lower crown winds and sets the watch (including a quickset date feature).

What makes this watch especially desirable, besides its condition, is its 36mm case and the high-quality A. Schild 1903 movement (most watches of this type have a more generic ETA movement). The piece is not oversize, but has a very solid wrist presence. The absence of the exterior bezel makes it a bit more elegant than the typical dive watch, and it could easily be dressed up with the right strap.

The watch has a screwback case with the EPSA dive helmet logo and brevet numbers 317537 and 337462. Caseback number is 35066 on the inside.

The piece is in very good overall condition, especially the dial, which is not surprising given that these were designed to stay sealed under very high pressure.

Glossy black dial is lovely, lugs are sharp, case is unpolished. Caseback shows signs of normal wear, but the lightly-etched lettering is still visible. These casebacks tend to be quite plain, though sometimes the ESPA "diver's helmet" is on the outside, rather than the inside, as in this case.

Running strong and keeping good time. Service history is fuzzy--original seller claimed it was serviced in 2018, but take that with a grain of salt!

Comes on a black nylon NATO strap, which suits it well. I really enjoyed wearing this piece, but need to cover some new purchases, so this should go to someone who will wear and appreciate it!

DSCN4211.JPG DSCN4216.JPG DSCN4220.JPG DSCN4222.JPG DSCN4223.JPG DSCN4224.JPG IMG_3501.jpg IMG_3502.jpg IMG_3503.jpg IMG_3504.jpg SC Back.jpg

£750 ONO (inc. shipping)

I am mostly hoping for an ordinary sale, but in terms of trades, I am on the look-out for an all-steel panda (black sub-dials on white face) chrono from the 60s/70s, a vintage Glycine aviator, or a nice Seamaster automatic from the 50s/early 60s.

UK shipping via Special Delivery. International shipping tracked and insured by most appropriate carrier.

This is my third sale on OF (endorsement from the first two: https://omegaforums.net/threads/dr-sascha.118735/, https://omegaforums.net/threads/dr-sascha.118487/).
    I have bought several watches from members, have sold to a member on Chrono 24, and have a 100% seller rating on Ebay. Questions/comments/feedback welcome, and thanks for looking!

Edited Sep 30, 2020
  2. Dr.Sascha Sep 12, 2020

Saturday bump!

3. Dr.Sascha Sep 18, 2020

Weekend bump.

4. michael22 Sep 18, 2020

Two nice watches. Before somebody starts making cryptic comments, you can only bump one thread per day.
    Read the rules:

Listing & BUMPING of your thread:

I am finding my self more and more these days deleting bumps by sellers on multiple threads in the sales sections only to find they re add the bump later. This is not acceptable and the advert will be deleted and not reinstated even if you ask.
    • There is a limit of ONE thread, OR ONE bump, or one post, per day (24 hours) (regardless of number of watches listed) on the Private Watch Sales forum per person, use consideration.
    • Listing a watch and bumping a watch is not permitted.
    • Marking an item SOLD or OHPF is not classed as a bump but a simple update to the listing, these will be allowed

bpgani and Dan S like this.
  5. Dr.Sascha Sep 19, 2020

Ugh, rookie maneuver on my part (and didn't look right when I saw it!). Thanks for the heads-up.

Lonestar, JwRosenthal and michael22 like this.
  6. Dr.Sascha Sep 22, 2020

Bump and price drop.

inchpincher likes this.
  7. Dr.Sascha Sep 30, 2020

One last price drop and bump before it goes to the (e)baying hounds . . .

rootbeer7 likes this.
  8. Dr.Sascha Oct 5, 2020

Traded to another OF member, thanks for the space!