Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rotary Aquaplunge, 1960s, A. Schild 1701 mvt.

1. Dr.Sascha Aug 12, 2020

On offer is a vintage Rotary Aquaplunge, one of the quintessential dive watches of the 1960s.

With its beautifully-proportioned all steel case, angular lugs, and arrow hands, this is the epitome of form and function from the apex of 60s dive watch design. Inside is a robust A. Schild 1701 automatic Swiss movement with quickset date. It's running strong and keeping good time.

The black dial retains its factory gloss, the bezel is almost unfaded, and the overall condition approaches NOS, as can be seen from the images. All original, including signed Rotary crown with classic "R" symbol. Signed x3 (dial, caseback, crown).

The 36mm case is sharp and unpolished; the numbers, lettering, and indices are clear and match reference dials; and the crystal is without blemish. Caseback engraving is crisp and deep, showing only minor wear and a few light scratches (see pix). Tritium lume on hands, indices, and arabic numerals is near original colour, with minimal "pillowing." All lettering, including the 24 hour military inner chapter ring, is flawless.

Best, and rarest, of all for this model is the bezel. It is almost without fading (except a small crescent of wear at 3 o'clock) and adorned with numbers that brilliantly express the later period of mid-century modern design. There were many successors and imitators, but there was only one Rotary Aquaplunge. As Grandmaster Flash once said, "some might do it next, some might do it better, but I was first, and first is forever."

Very sorry to let this one go, but need to cover some recent acquisitions!

Dimensions: 36mm width w/o crown, 48mm lug-to-lug, 18mm lug width.
    Comes on a new, black leather strap.
    DSCN4152.jpg
    DSCN4151.jpg DSCN4155.jpg DSCN4159.jpg DSCN4160.jpg DSCN4162.jpg DSCN4168.jpg DSCN4170.jpg DSCN4148.jpg
    DSCN4142.jpg DSCN4149.jpg

£975 ONO + shipping.

UK shipping via Special Delivery. International shipping tracked and insured by most appropriate carrier.

This is my first sale on OF, though I have bought several watches from members, have sold to a member on Chrono 24, and have a 100% seller rating on Ebay. Questions/comments/feedback welcome, and thanks for looking!

2. Dr.Sascha Aug 15, 2020

OHPF, thanks to another OF member!

Mattibro26 likes this.
  3. Dr.Sascha Aug 15, 2020

SOLD many thanks to OF for hosting.

4. WatchTimes Aug 15, 2020

WOW that was quick, don't know how I missed it!
    Great watch, beautiful example and a good deal!

Dr.Sascha likes this.