1957 Connie Pie Pan 2852 Cal.505 Gold Cap Black Dial

I managed to get my hands on this beautiful Connie from 1957 recently. I realise that the clover crown seems a little off but I have read in another thread that some 2852 from the late 50s came with a clover crown. Should I replace it with a 4219 thick decagonal crown? Also, any thoughts on the dial? Looks authentic to me but I might be mistaken. It was serviced recently according to the seller, hence the polished appearance.

IMG_8854.jpeg IMG_8844.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg

Regards,
Hensley

Could you please provide the better pictures focusing of the font, including the “Swiss Made”?

Totally missed your post. Sorry about that. Here are some pictures of the font on the dial.

IMG_8896.jpeg IMG_8897.jpeg

Is it a dome dial? I can’t see the pie pan edges on any of your pictures, hence the question.

Is it a dome dial? I can’t see the pie pan edges on any of your pictures, hence the question.

IIRC there are a lot of ‘soft-edged’ pie pans in the 2852 world.
Often the only clue, looking at photographs, is the angled minute haches (between the indices) and the fact that the cross-hair doesn’t extend beyond the 12,3,6,9 markers.

It is a pie pan dial, but it is hard to tell through the pictures. I let the ceiling lights reflect onto the dial for the shot below to show the shape of the pie pan.

IMG_8908.jpeg

Mine says hello:

IMG_5404.JPG IMG_5405.JPG IMG_5406.JPG

Well, hello there! 😀 Yours has the clover crown too! I’m starting to think that at least for this model, it may have left the factory with the clover crown.

Lovely.. Leave it alone!

Well, hello there! 😀 Yours has the clover crown too! I’m starting to think that at least for this model, it may have left the factory with the clover crown.
Yours is not the same “clover” crown that may (debated) have originally come on some of these Constellations.

I’m also not convinced of originality of the dial on yours. The fonts are good, but the tick marks are uneven and the font isn’t quite as “bold” as you can see on @Pahawi’s. Interested to hear other’s opinions.

Yours is not the same “clover” crown that may (debated) have originally come on some of these Constellations.

I’m also not convinced of originality of the dial on yours. The fonts are good, but the tick marks are uneven and the font isn’t quite as “bold” as you can see on @Pahawi’s. Interested to hear other’s opinions.

I think my photography skills are to blame so here’s another picture. Black dials are so hard to capture! And the pie pan reflects absolutely everything ::facepalm1:: It would break my heart if this dial turns out to not be original but I am definitely open to more opinions.

IMG_8921.jpeg

Yup, +1. Tbh that's mainly why I asked about the shape of the dial, as a dome dial with pie-pan-style minute ticks is a straight give-away. It's a bit more difficult here though and since our opinion of the dial wasn't asked for I kept quiet.

Since it's out there: The color of the text also also made me very sceptical. Would definitely love to see sharp close-ups if possible.

Yup, +1. Tbh that's mainly why I asked about the shape of the dial, as a dome dial with pie-pan-style minute ticks is a straight give-away. It's a bit more difficult here though and since our opinion of the dial wasn't asked for I kept quiet.

Since it's out there: The color of the text also also made me very sceptical. Would definitely love to see sharp close-ups if possible.

Thank you for your opinion. I grabbed my DSLR and took a few more pictures that I hope are clearer.
DSC_1498.jpeg DSC_1482.jpeg DSC_1483.jpeg DSC_1497.jpeg

Thank you for your opinion. I grabbed my DSLR and took a few more pictures that I hope are clearer.
Surely looks okay to me based on these pics.. thanks for sharing. I also noticed the tick marks aren’t entirely straight on @Pahawi’s either (they sort of bend in towards the middle of the dial - had never noticed that before).

Surely looks okay to me based on these pics.. thanks for sharing. I also noticed the tick marks aren’t entirely straight on @Pahawi’s either (they sort of bend in towards the middle of the dial - had never noticed that before).

Yes, I noticed that too and the first thing I did was check Pahawi’s pictures. They curve ever so little.

Thanks for sharing @Hensley, it’s the same font as my black dial😀.
At first, I thought there is some problem.

02AEAC22-E3CE-471D-A126-4D2D6AA53D0B.jpeg

Oh, that looks much better. Thanks for the pics!

There is a mark behind the star. Did they glue it back or stablized it somehow?

DSC_1518.jpeg DSC_1505.jpeg DSC_1510.jpeg DSC_1511.jpeg Since I got my camera out, here’s the crown that MAY have come with the watch originally, with some bonus pictures. 😉

There is a mark behind the star. Did they glue it back or stablized it somehow?

I am not sure but it is reaaally small.