Forums Latest Members

1940s Grandfather's Suveran-like Omega identification help

1. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 16, 2020

I don’t think the dial was redone, but impossible to be sure without seeing it in real. At least the logo looks rights. Indexes look quite crude, including on sub dial. Maybr just this part sas repainted? a picture without the glass would help assess it.
    Caliber should be a 26.5 inside.
    Nice watch!

Lucasssssss, Larry S and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 16, 2020

For everyone here, if you claim those small concentric circles are proof of anything, YOU'RE WRONG.

I had a dial refinished, and I can't show it to you because I sold the watch 20 years ago...

You're just wrong. If it can be made, it can be remade.

:D

Tom

3. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2020

::confused2::

I don't think anyone here has mentioned the concentric pattern?

For me it is the markers on the subdial that are off. The ref. 2008 - and others - I have seen have a more finely executed track whereas this one looks rather crude.

4. Maskelyne Jan 17, 2020

I dont´t like when people scream. No one can be absolutely shure about this. There are signs of a repaint/redial. There are also a lot of Omega out there which suffers from not so well performed factory performance.

Larry S and gatorcpa like this.
  5. TimothyPrice Jan 17, 2020

I absolutely agree with you, gentlemen, the subdial markers do look quite crude. What I wonder is if there were any Omegas in the 40s that had details made by hand, or is it only the thing in case of the replicas/repaints?

6. ConElPueblo Jan 17, 2020

Did you try looking up the reference I mentioned earlier?

7. TimothyPrice Jan 17, 2020

I tried, but to no avail, at least in google

8. ConElPueblo Jan 17, 2020

Try it in combination with "cal 26.5" or even just "omega cal 26.5". Look for images of watches with the same case.

TimothyPrice likes this.
  9. TimothyPrice Jan 17, 2020

Now that was helpful! I found an astounding variation of models with varying degrees of sloppiness to their execution: especially the sub dials seem to be their weak point, many of them not being perfectly round or slightly overlapping the borders of digits in their vicinity, in other cases it's the digits that are in a way ,,squeezed'' against them. Yet I haven't found a model with double bullseye as mine, which may point towards the redone dial conspiracy. Does anybody possess any catalogues from the WWII period for some reference?

10. Dan S Jan 17, 2020

I find that a challenge with screening images like this is that many watches from that era have been re-dialed. You really need to bring a careful eye to the process, and carefully curate the images that you are using for comparisons. You're really not looking to identify general sloppiness and/or unevenness, since those could just be the signs of other re-dialed watches. What you want to find are other examples with exactly the same type of printing, since it is unlikely (though not impossible, we have seen it) that several watches were refinished in exactly the same way.

11. TimothyPrice Feb 3, 2020

FAD05A6A-7EA8-4F25-9FE0-1F0E4ECFEEE7.jpeg
    Alright, gentlemen – behold the interior.