Forums Latest Members

1675 previously owned by President of Mexico.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

Man I just stated the watch was polished and therefore not exceptional.

Also other people in that discussione stated that the watch wasn't unpolished, it wasn't just me.

Please check the thread: you had never stated that the watch was unpolished before my comment, so I couldn't know it was sold as unpolished.

I don't have anything against Eric Wind, but please if buy the seller also check the watch!

It's a crazy argument to say that a watch is unpolished or correct just for the provenance, without empirically examine it.

I just tried to help a collector, sorry if my comment wasn't appreciated.

2. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

Sorry to have to say but that's just a friend vouching for a friend (as it already happened many times).

And the fact that this was done to influence people after Orchi and this thread is a scandal.

I don't know if the watch is good or not, but this is really, really bad.

3. Cozmopak Mar 13, 2020

Ok, I’ll chalk this up to miscommunication since English is obviously not your first language.

4. Traveler Mar 13, 2020

I’m going to really blow your conspiracy theory mind, but I also count Eric as a friend, so it’s a recommendation within a recommendation within a recommendation....

janice&fred likes this.
  5. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

Sorry everybody, I really don't want to argue anymore.

Mr.Wind is obviously a good guy with a lot of friends, but in my opinion that dial is a Mk4.

As I already wrote since there is no clear evidence it's pointless to go on with this discussion.

I find not honest from an intellectual point of view the Hodinkee contribution since there is no solid ground in the article.

One thing is recommend a friend (or a dealer) on forum, another thing is to write a biased article on an important site.

6. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

Sorry, I'll try to rephrase it: there were other Omegaforum members that told you that the watch you purchased from mr.Wind was polished, and I suppose you don't believe that they had a specific feeling towards Mr.Wind.

We made a comment on watch, regardless from the buyer or the seller.

If in the future you will try to sell that watch you'll probably get what I meant with my poor English.

7. 993watch Mar 13, 2020

We’ve had some interesting posts that have been heated at times on this thread thus far. I believe these forums should encourage constructive debate among collectors and be inclusive of those that make their living selling watches. It’s ok to disagree and have a difference of opinion.

The reaction may have been much different at times, if the initial tone hadn’t hinted at suspicion based on controversial IG posts and if clear contrarian proof had been provided up to this point. I personally wouldn’t share an unsolicited opinion on someone else’s piece unless it was requested. The intent may be constructive, but it risks coming off as critical IMHO.

MTROIS and Spacefruit like this.
  8. Cozmopak Mar 13, 2020

Oh my, the assumption that I would ever want or need to sell this watch in the future (and by the way, I’ve already had five unsolicited offers) is somewhat presumptuous.

9. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

Sorry no proof was provided, from the pictures it looks like a Mk4 to me ( and to other people) and a Mk3 to you (and to other people).

Meanwhile I hope that people who know will have the courage to talk, since as you see the watch doesn't come directly from the family of the first owner but it seems it passed through some hands.

And as you can see it seems that the dial was swapped previously by someone else, not by Mr.Wind, so really nothing personal .
    IMG_9622.jpg

Edited Mar 13, 2020
  10. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

I mean that if you will be in the position of selling it then it will be evaluated for its quality not for the dealer that originally sold it.

I have nothing against you and I also like your watch, I just think a watch should be judged for what it is not for who is selling it.

Also I only said it was polished, and I wasn't the only member who said it, so really I don't understand what is your problem with me.

Edited Mar 13, 2020
  11. 993watch Mar 13, 2020

Chris75- the issue isn’t about opinions on what the original pics show, as we may never be able to tell conclusively about Mk3 or Mk4 from the original pics available thus far and can debate that topic until the cows come home. The issue is that you and Orchi are calling the sellers liars with this continuation of collaborative effort, as the sellers have stated it came from the family and yet you and Orchi imply that is a fabrication.

Here’s the reference as pulled from the Robb Report article: “The timepiece has not only never publicly come to market before, it is also coming directly from Portillo’s family.” Are you saying this is a typo or the sellers are lying?

You apologize then go back on attack in a passive aggressive manner. Orchi’s post is nonsensical garbage and on top of that he has the gall to have his hand out for a reward? Unbelievable.

janice&fred and Cozmopak like this.
  12. Dan S Mar 13, 2020

I assume that there is documentation proving that the watch is coming directly from the family. At least a notarized letter from a family member or something like that. As a buyer, I would want to have something like this to support the asking price, which includes a large increment because of the provenance. Otherwise, it's really just a nice watch, even if it was worn by the president.

Even though the current sellers have first-hand knowledge of the watch's origin (I'm not implying otherwise), once the watch passes out of the current sellers' hands, such documentation will be necessary for the new owner to prove the provenance in the future. If a buyer chooses to put it up for auction someday, he would want to have a some direct evidence of the provenance, beyond saying "the well-known dealer from whom I purchased the watch told me that he purchased it directly from the family." There should be a demonstrable "chain of custody" IMO.

I happen to own a vintage dive-watch that was owned by a celebrity (a very famous astronaut), and I bought it from someone with first-hand knowledge of the provenance. I'm 99% sure it's legit. However, the documentation is gone, and I didn't pay a premium for it. While I enjoy my knowledge of the connection, and joke about it with my wife whenever I wear the watch, when I decide to pass it on to the next owner someday, it will just be a nice watch. Sadly, provenance can be unexpectedly ephemeral.

Edited Mar 13, 2020
    ndgal, Caliber561, slique12 and 5 others like this.
  13. Chris75 Mar 13, 2020

I am not related with Orchi and I am not calling anyone a liar.

Now I'll really back off from all this because I don't like the direction this is taking.

In my opinion the watch in the pictures looks like a Mk4 and I was told that the watch came out last Fall (or was offered) with the same dial it has now.

That's it.

Unless new evidence will come out there is no point in arguing.

14. harrymai86 Mar 13, 2020

Did I read it right or that post means that Orchi got his hand on the some photos of the watch before it was put up for sale?

15. 993watch Mar 13, 2020

You, in your post and Orchi’s pasted IG post directly imply the sellers did not get the watch as claimed,
    direct from the family. That is saying they are misrepresenting their claim of direct family acquisition and therefore, the equivalent of calling them liars.

Now you will “back off”, after proverbially pulling the pin on a grenade and tip toeing away....uhhh, ok.

On the other hand, I get what Dan S. means about proof of provenance. I guess the owner would have the Robb Report article for starters. I agree that a written attestation of some sort from the family would strengthen the chain of custody documentation even further.

16. ATWG Mar 14, 2020

I think O might be right in that it was first offered by another dealer. I had inquired about the radial on the left which had apparently been sold. I was offered the one on the right and was told it was worn by a former Latin president.

I could not find the pic as proof until I unlocked my previous phone.

Here is the IG post from last fall:

C83EF1DD-D7BA-4981-B818-D0D80C1B041C.jpeg

Notice the small diagonal mark on the bottom right lug:

8C7A3207-8888-42D1-BB1E-024FD42B0B5F.png

Here is the watch in question:

6A8F3BB5-4626-468D-857C-5B3C7C49E27B.png

Notice the similar mark on the bottom right lug:

E42C937A-B250-41F0-A6C8-D558981620B5.jpeg

trackpad, Caliber561, khmt2 and 10 others like this.
  17. ICONO Mar 14, 2020

If it is ?…the Bezel has been swopped out

The plot thickens…

ATWG likes this.
  18. GuiltunderGlass Mar 14, 2020

::rimshot::

Looks that post was deleted as well.

19. Renton Mar 14, 2020

Tried looking on his website for the said watch. Couldn’t find it. Though it could be that some watches were sold on IG, even before it made it on his website.

http://www.uberz.net/watches

20. ATWG Mar 14, 2020

Was never on his site....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.