Forums Latest Members
  1. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 26, 2020

Hi all,

so I have a constellation with a 1011 movement. I have heard from YouTube watch guys one being the time teller, that the 1000 series movements have issues if they run out of power reserve and need restarting.
    Is this true?

should I not let my Connie runout of charge?

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 26, 2020

I don’t recall this issue ever being discussed here on OF.
    Perhaps you could share links to the reference material you’re referring to?
    (our resident watchmakers might then comment)

meanwhile here is a link to an essay by Desmond on the 1000 series moves that you might find interesting.
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/Movement4.pdf

3. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 26, 2020

This is a link to the time tellers vid I can’t find the other.

francisd1060 likes this.
  4. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 26, 2020

I just read desmonds essay with my heart in my throat..... I’m glad I have a 1011 out of all the 1000’s as it sounds like the least likely to give me trouble. And I’m glad it was serviced 1yr ago.......

5. ConElPueblo Jun 26, 2020

Pretty much all the issues with the 10XX series movements can be taken care of. If you then keep the watch serviced regularly there shouldn't be any trouble.

It is not like it will spontaneously explode on your wrist.

prokudin, Spruce and TIMElyBehaviour like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 26, 2020

I am not a massive 10XX series fan, I have had mechanical issues with mine in the past and wouldn't rush back but the main bugbear I have is the lower level of decoration they have vs earlier movements, even the chronometer rated models. The bent paperclip looking regulator spring also doesn't inspire confidence, though in reality is probably just as effective as an ornate swan neck.

7. ChrisN Jun 26, 2020

He can really talk in that video so, start at about 6 minutes. He is concerned that when resetting the day and date on his 1020, the gears are meshing in a bad way and can cause damage. Nothing else that I heard about restarting, just the setting of the day and date.

The 1010 to 1022 are not the same as the 1000 series (which have a poor reputation and partly justified) - here from an Omega document:
    upload_2020-6-26_10-37-28.png

The 1020 sets up very well in the main and it doesn't concern me.

On any design with a day and/or date complication there are always quite a few gears under the dial side. This is a 1020 part way through fitting the dial side parts (and yes, you can see some plastic there but, I wouldn't worry about that)
    upload_2020-6-26_10-40-17.png

If you have a quickset on any calibre with a day and/or date complication, then only use the quickset after putting the hands in the lower side of the dial (e.g. 6:30) as that way, all these little gears are not trying to change the day or date while you are trying to quickset. If you do that, then I wouldn't be concerned, although, as @ConElPueblo says, don't leave them too long between services. This applies to any calibre and is just a good thing to do - some calibres are very fragile in this area and will give problems if abused.

I hope this helps, Chris

prokudin and Peemacgee like this.
  8. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 26, 2020

Thanks guys. So basically if I treat it well, don’t change the date after the watch reaches 6:30pm and service it maximum every 5 years I should be fine?

I laughed at the exploding on my wrist comment. Nice work. Needed a laugh today to be honest.

he also says on the vid that he keeps it on a watch winder to prevent the issue happening of meshing gears. That says to me in my mind that they would mesh if it stops and restarts.

9. Canuck Jun 26, 2020

I have a model 1020. An excellent performer. Looks like the same case references yours.

BB8283A8-5D88-4306-9FE3-289D0F992333.jpeg

10. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 28, 2020

what is the movement ref on that one?

11. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 28, 2020

Disregard 1020........

12. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 28, 2020

Here is a photo of my movement. It took 2 people to remove the caseback. It was on there to stay.

6B958D20-287C-4B92-AC19-C2A95709E952.jpeg 8C7FD89C-395C-4A5A-A627-2DC50856FD60.jpeg AF37288E-6180-47FB-A130-6A6FED4405B3.jpeg
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 28, 2020

Take some of that information with a grain of salt. Generally these are movements that can run well if properly serviced and maintained.

All movements are a series of compromises, and this one is no exception. To make it thin, some things are not as robust as on other movements, but as long as it has been properly serviced by someone who doesn't take short cuts, you will be fine.

BTW the guy in the video you posted has obviously not had his watches serviced properly, because the problems he talks about on restsart don't happen to movements that have been taken care of. I'm guessing that his watches have had cannon pinion problems...it appears that many watchmakers don't properly disassemble, clean, and lubricate these.

Cheers, Al

connieseamaster likes this.
  14. TIMElyBehaviour Jun 28, 2020

I really appreciate your feedback. Upon having this watch opened by my watchsmith, he stated that from appearances it looks to have been taken care of. There is a slight scuff mark from where the rotor has traveled and he claimed this was due to it needing a service as the rotor shifted over time. He believes this is not happening now and the issue was rectified last time it was serviced. He replaced the caseback seal as this one was destroyed from having the caseback on so tight. I mean tight is good but it took both of us to get it off so......

I think this one will be a keeper. I’m chuffed and it holds time at about +3 ish secs a day. The rotor is damn near silent and free moving and the overall condition is pretty good for its age.

thank you to all that have contributed.

Peemacgee likes this.