Forums Latest Members
  1. vitriol Aug 15, 2017

Good evening,
    First time poster in a vintage section and I do not really know much about the older movements.
    Bought this watch as a donor. Serial number makes me think it is '68.

[​IMG]

Seller said the movement works fine, but sadly it doesn't, there are two issues:

1. At 2nd crown position - the crown slips when try to set the hands clockwise (anti-clockwise settings seems to be fine),
    2. Quick set date change does not work at all, tried many times to pull out the crown (3rd position) and pull it in (2nd position), but it just does not change the date.

My guess is that is it a winding stem to be blamed for 1&2 (W3236).

I am considering sending it back to the seller of pur it for a service, have no clue about the cost of W3236.

What do you think about potential root-cause of 1&2 issues?

Thanks

2. Canuck Aug 15, 2017

You bought it as a donor? You were going to cannibalize it to repair another watch? Yet now you are contemplating fixing it up? I am confused. The hand setting problem could be simply the crown loose on the stem. I can't figure how you think the stem is the problem. The calendar set problem indicates to me that the date ring trip cam has a broken spring on it. A common problem with that part. If you have decided to keep it and have it serviced, you need to have the over all condition assessed, a price quoted, and then decide whether to service it, or use it for parts.

Foo2rama and wsfarrell like this.
  3. omegasaso12 Aug 16, 2017

1.issue:
    Your watch needs service, gears are stuck. Old oil.

2.problem:
    It can be that part number 1110 setting lever is broken.

Overall watch can work as seller said but this still needs service badly.

Maybe likes this.
  4. vitriol Aug 16, 2017

Thanks Both.

It's a donor of the movement for the watchco.
    Keeps good time, manual winding works fine and a calendar changes correctly via automatic function - at 24 o'clock.
    Didn't know these movements have a problem with the calendar and all above made me think about the stem as the common part involved in 1&2.

I am not native in English does the "trip cam" is another name for a setting lever?

5. Canuck Aug 16, 2017

Trip cam is not another name for setting lever. I am not certain that "trip cam" is what Omega called the part I refer to. This is a circular disc which has a "finger" (spring) that projects outward from the rim of he disc. This disc turns back and forth on a stand-off screw which acts as an axle. This disc turns back and forth as the stem is pulled to the third position. Each time the stem is pulled out, the spring on the edge of the disc advances the date ring. That spring in known to break off, frequently.

vitriol likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 16, 2017

The part Canuck is referring to is the date corrector - there are two types:

[​IMG]

The one on top of the package is the old style made of steel. The only in the package that loos like an ampersand (@) is the newer style. If the quick change function is used when the date change is already engaged, damage can be done. If the old style date corrector is fitted, the date indicator (date wheel) will be damaged. If the new style is fitted, the thin end breaks off - it's designed to be sacrificial in this case.

It's unlikely to be the setting lever spring that is causing problem #2, but is likely a broken date corrector. For problem #1, it could be as simple as the crown being loose on the stem...

Cheers, Al

Rochete and vitriol like this.
  7. vitriol Aug 16, 2017

Makes sense. You guys know the stuff - many thanks.
    I doubt will I manage it by myself, so off to the watchmaker we go.

@Archer, thanks for mentioning about the risk of the damage. I read this movement has (extra?) function for temporary blocking the date correction mechanism. Somehow assumed it also provides protection from using quick set when date change is already running, but I see it was wrong.

[​IMG]

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 16, 2017

Yes, the quick change mechanism is temporarily blocked by the fact that the date change is engaged. When the finger/post on the wheel that changes the date every day at midnight is engaged with the date indicator, it will not allow the date indicator to advance via the quick change mechanism.

The assumption that this prevents damage is not correct - in fact this is exactly when damage can be done if you use the quick change mechanism.

Cheers, Al

9. DON Aug 16, 2017

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the teeth on the date ring might be worn. Have had that done a few times.

Actually didn't check one time until the watch was sold. Had to do a parts run and take it apart to change the ring

DON

10. vitriol Aug 25, 2017

For those who interested, I do have an update.
    The problem indeed was in the date corrector, but it was not broken, it was just missing :)
    My watchmaker said, the movement was nice and clean so most like it was serviced recently, for some reasons someone didn't install the date correct during re-assembly.

11. flqt-9000 Apr 14, 2019

I resume this old post because I got a problem with my SM300: I can't pull out the crown to position 3..
    What may the issue be?

12. DON Apr 15, 2019

Always best to start your own thread rather than jump into an old one