Forums Latest Members
  1. noonespecial May 22, 2020

I've been looking for a C-Case constellation from the 60's-70's and have mainly been looking for a 564 but have come across one in particular. It's been on my eyes for a few days and it looks like it has the original, not refinished dial and the body doesn't look like its been polished much at all. The price I got from the seller was $500, and from looking at historic prices for similar models on the forum that seems quite fair.

Is there anything I should know in particular about this model vs the 564 C cases? I did read a while back that the 70s was a transition period for Omega in terms of how they made their movements but otherwise, I am not too well versed.

Feedback on the watch itself would also be much appreciated too.

back1.jpg backopen.jpg front1.jpg front2.jpg movement1.jpg

movement2.jpg side1.jpg side2.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2020

The dial seems to have some spotting and corrosion on the hour markers.

Not a bargain.

I'd wait for a 5xx, they're plentiful in nice condition for a little more.

Be patient!

noonespecial likes this.
  3. noonespecial May 22, 2020

Ah, I see it too now. Appreciate the spot!

I've seen a bunch on the bay from Japan, but not quite in the condition I'd like. Are 5xx more common?

4. Edward53 May 23, 2020

@noonespecial as a general point when considering any watch, save photos and expand them to maximum magnification to assess the condition of dial, hands, case and crown. Also check whether the hands appear to match the dial, and whether they are the right length - the minute hand tip should extend up to the minute markers (as it does on the watch above). There are a few exceptions to the hand length rule but you can disregard them for the time being. Google Image Search is definitely your friend for the above.

There is nothing wrong with the 1011 movement, which is highly accurate but requires slightly more frequent servicing than the 564. Also, collectors generally consider the 564 a thing of engineering beauty and the 1011 more utilitarian in appearance, which may or may not bother you since you'll only see it if the watch is opened up.

noonespecial likes this.
  5. noonespecial May 23, 2020

Thanks for the specific tips. Looking at these vintage watches presents a lot of variables but I think that's a part of why I am so intrigued.

I see, I did read up a bit on how the 60s was a period for Omega that a lot of people look back fondly on. So, if the prices aren't vastly different then I guess the search for a 564 goes on! Appreciate the help guys!