Forums Latest Members

❅ Types of Watch Guys & Gals ❅

1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 29, 2016

The Pigeon Poster

Flutters in, clutching its uncle's/late father's/grandfather's/friend's (insert relative/friend/imaginary friend as appropriate) watch in its scabby claws. Doesn't set an avatar or read any of the stickies. Demands immediate advice as to authenticity/value/provenance etc based on two out-of-focus photos. Either gets really upset when told it's a worthless piece of crap or immediately buggers off to sell it on Evilbay or similar. Often craps on the forum floor before leaving. Also known as "the flying rat".

Edited Jan 8, 2019
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

The grail hunter.

Spends months searching for his Grail watch, so focused he passes on several watches that are just as good in the same realm of what he's looking for. Ends up knocking back several Grail watches because they don't match his mythical idea of what he started looking for. Posts about the one that got away and the ones that he was close on. Does not realise there is only Grail emptiness at the end...

The M&M collector

Needs to have a several of the same watch in all variations and all case metals. Usually does not reveal until the M&M moment is complete to the shock and awe of most of the forum.

YYTIN, lindo, JacksonPollock and 29 others like this.
  3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 29, 2016

So I read the whole thread and marked down those for which I share attributes:

Bespoke Starter - everyone has to start somewhere; I just wish my start had been here.
    The Contrarian - give me TV dials, please. I love my f300 and my Megaquartz.
    The He Who Doesn't Care For a Speedmaster Guy - until I tried on a Mark 40 a few weeks ago, and then I kind of Got It.
    The Just One More, and I'm Done - well, three more, but they're grails, and I have doubts as to two of them.
    The Big Z Collector - I really like my first!
    I Just Like Watches - amen.
    Gladiator/Horologist/Adam - my name's Adam :confused: (thanks for clarifying that further into the thread)

Do any of you know the Flame Warriors? http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 29, 2016

The Magpie

If it don't shine, ain't gonna wear it. Appalled by $10,000 vintage Speedmasters that look like they were dropped in a parking lot, then run over by a few dozen motorists.

[I'm simply self-reporting]

lindo, janice&fred, noelekal and 8 others like this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 29, 2016

Priceless, and outrageous -- all at the same time :)

6. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 29, 2016

D2CEC632-C65C-41F1-B7CD-52436BB7C1D9.jpeg

Edited Feb 14, 2020
    lindo, M'Bob, janice&fred and 12 others like this.
  7. WatchVaultNYC May 29, 2016

The "Looking For My First Watch Which Will Be Kept For Generations" guy

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 29, 2016

The peer group collector

Needs his peers to hold hands with him every step of the way. Starts with a what watch should I buy with X amount of $ . Next thread is what colour or model of peer approved watch followed by a thread on where peer approved watch should be bought from. Once purchased a thread to show off new watch to all the helpful peers. This starts the thread on what strap the peers recommend

9. trackpad May 30, 2016

I really love the Submariner – undeniable classic. Submariner guys, not so much.

10. philh May 30, 2016

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 30, 2016

My absolute favorite.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2016

The super collector

Several of these guys exist, you know them the guys that get 74 likes at a time on WRUW and What did you buy today in one night. They out do their last watch with something better and you go to bed wondering where they find them as you have never see anything like that in your 4 hour nightly searches. These guys have access to a time machine so you can never compete with them. They always get box, papers, hang tags and receipts with ever watches. They make the forum a better place as you spend the following days learning about their last purchase as you never knew the brand or watch existed before they posted buying one of their recent finds

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2016

Is that an item of US Government Property sitting on the table between you two rotorheads?

14. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

Not any more. ;)

15. blubarb May 30, 2016

The double wrister - rarer these days, but occasionally seen in the wild...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 30, 2016

This thread is priceless funny and very therapeutic. Thanks all. Hi my name is Larry and I'm an OMFG/ Adddict. So many watches , so little time!

noelekal, YYTIN, lindo and 8 others like this.
  17. ICONO May 30, 2016

Broadly correct...........but very catholic, ( small c ), tastes, - several speedies, several dive watches, several UG, Many vintage Omega Dress, all on 1st generation Rice Grain ( of course ),....& 1 x Seiko

Currently hunting down a Montbrillant Legende, just for fun

Oooooh........And a University Lecturer in 'Design & Creativity'......

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2016

The kitchen sinker

These guys don't only collect watches they collect everything. Hang tags, brochures, watch boxes, boutique display stands, boutique give always, pens, hats,you name it if it has anything to do with watches they collect it. Easy to pick as they have posted a boutique clock from the 50s that we have all drooled over....

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2016

Crank 'er up Andy.
    [​IMG]

STANDY, Mad Dog and blubarb like this.
  20. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 30, 2016

Well...you'd have to ask @ChuckMK23...from what I recall, that is his issued helo helmet that he was allowed to keep when he left active duty. I wasn't allowed to keep my helo helmet when I left active duty...which really bummed me out since it's a pretty cool momento to have.

M'Bob, Riviera Paradise and ChuckMK23 like this.