Forums Latest Members
  1. subregister Jul 24, 2020

Hello OFers-
    Lots of people have been asking me about recent trends in the A386 market, so I thought I would share in one location (all prices in USD) a list of recent sales and items offered to provide context. Links included.

We set some significant outliers, with a surprise (to me) of a strong recent auction price with an unusual caseback (of which I've only seen one other example to date...with both of these examples appearing in the last 6 months...odd).
    This outlier auction example is something we haven't seen since the other outlier at Phillips in the fall of 2017. Not to say that isn't where the market is, we just rarely see this. I am a huge fan of this reference, and maybe with the additional Revival/LEs they are getting more looks, which is causing a slight uptick in price.
    The Tajan piece I believe was a good buy as compared to some others that have sold recently

Recent closed sales:
    Tajan of a not-perfect but decent, piece well-bought at $5.2k
    Antiquorum of a unusually-casebacked piece for $29k
    Pandolfini an example with a number of issues (wrong hands, service tachy, highly polished) passed at $9k
    eBay sale at $11.8k
    eBay
    sale in very poor-looking condition with bad bracelet discount for $15.8k (this up for sale again, below)
    Dr.Crott at $16.7k

A few for sale:
    The $15.8k eBay watch above on omegaforums at $30k (on Chrono24 at $32k) post-service
    Dealer example at $30k (Mk1)
    Dealer example at nearly $21k with service hands and tachy
    Quite a few on C24 in a variety of conditions from $14-23k (of course, some of these have been there a year...)

Buy safe, everyone!

Edited Jul 30, 2020
  2. TexOmega Jul 24, 2020

Does the one up for sale here on OF further support the opinion that pointy subdial hands and small circle crowns are indeed from the factory, and Factory Original?

3. chronoboy64 Jul 24, 2020

Great post, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

4. subregister Jul 24, 2020

Most welcome!
    I'm all about transparency, and hope that it can help people with their purchases, and perhaps even avoid some of the pricing bubbles that we have seen in the past, and rather keep things growing nice and smoothly.
    I wish I had a better way to categorize each piece objectively so it is easier to quickly sort the live chart with prices, but maybe will figure out some way to do that down the road...for now you can filter by dial, hands, bezel, etc. but not the "quality" level.

chronoboy64 likes this.
  5. ndgal Jul 26, 2020

Is this a subjective or an objective opinion?

What exactly do you mean by this quote?

Oh, I see. You’re a “Savior” of sorts?

Edited Jul 26, 2020
  6. subregister Jul 26, 2020

hi @TexOmega
    I've written a bit about these pointed register hands, and do appear on the last (231E1+) pieces at the end of A386 production. They aren't on all 231E1+ pieces, but enough that I believe they are original to these watches. I don't personally believe the original design of the A386 intended to use pointed register hands, however, but rather started to be used as supply of the earlier hands ran out. Hopefully some marketing material from that period will turn up to help clarify - it would be great to find an advertisement of an A386 with pointed hands to let us know Zenith's intention.

7. TexOmega Jul 26, 2020

yes, I agree, probably not intended as designed, but still defined as “original” from the factory.

8. MarkTr Jul 26, 2020

I first noticed that many of the 231E1+ A386's in your spreadsheet when I first looked at it last year-I believe we discussed this in a few past threads. I am happy to hear that you are starting to believe that the pointy hands may have come with many of the last 386's- my late A386 came with pointy hands and I have owned it for over 40 years.

9. subregister Jul 26, 2020

Correct, I do believe that the pointy hands came with some of the last 386s produced, but that they were not initially designed to be used on the A386. Please do let me know if you find any Zenith material that can lend some insight... thanks-

MarkTr likes this.
  10. ELV web Jul 27, 2020

I also have a late a386 with pointy hands.

MarkTr likes this.
  11. subregister Jul 27, 2020

I'll drop you a PM on yours, @ELV web - I think yours be a little earlier than the 231E1+ mentioned above (I've seen some 230Exxx with pointed also that could be original to the watch). Its rare to have nice crisp images of these (or other) pieces, but we do get to see nice sets of images post-Zenith service on OF from @TexOmega here and @ndgal here.
    We see these pointed hand examples (you can find the links on the database also) in a number of other OF posts as well. Unfortunately my database doesn't differentiate between original pointed hands service replacement pointed hands, but I would question the originality of pointed hands if not 230Exxx or later until I learn more.
    The pieces that sold at auction for the highest amounts have flat ends, but given exceptional examples are so rare, as of now I don't believe the register hand style has an impact on value. So if you like pointed register hands, you can track those down (or simply get service parts from Zenith and replace the flat-end hands...of course if you do that please send me hands you are no longer using ;)), or search for a flat-end register hands, whichever your eye prefers! :thumbsup:

Edited Jul 28, 2020
  12. ELV web Jul 27, 2020

Mine is also a 231E0xx. The xx is close to 99 ;)

13. TexOmega Jul 27, 2020

Mine starts with a 9 after the E

Do we know the serial number start and end numerals?

14. subregister Jul 27, 2020

Based on what I've seen so far, I believe that pointed register hands would appear between 230E9xx and the end of the manufacture of the A386. I'm not certain the last case number - I've seen 231Exxx of course, but also have read of one at 233Exxx (have not seen images).

Edited Jul 28, 2020
  15. MarkTr Jul 28, 2020

Mine is 231E128 with pointy hands

TexOmega likes this.
  16. TexOmega Jul 28, 2020

crown?

17. MarkTr Jul 29, 2020

TexOmega and Pahawi like this.
  18. Pahawi Jul 29, 2020

TexOmega likes this.
  19. TexOmega Jul 29, 2020

20. MarkTr Jul 31, 2020

OK-- just sold her today to a fellow forum member. After about 35 years of ownership, it was time to pass her on to another caretaker who will love her as much as I have.

IMG_1599.jpeg

ajn3323, Andsan, ELV web and 3 others like this.