Forums Latest Members
  1. marcn Enough space to say witty Jul 7, 2021

I'm so conflicted right now...

On the one hand, no regret using YouTube to help arrive at a decision -- recently, to pick up a pair of Red Wing boots (Iron Rangers, FWIW... still breaking them in around the house... just add autumn, and I'm set.)

But on the other hand... damn... there are so many really good boot review channels, which leads down the leather shoe/boot care videos, and so on. I'm so not that guy... but, turns out... I'm that guy!

Any rabbit holes you never imagined you'd be down?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 7, 2021

Dungeons and dragons campaigns, lego Great Ball Contraption and custom gearbox design videos, magic tricks, general science videos, and Forgotten Weapons… many rabbit holes lol

Joe_A, Spacefruit and marcn like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2021

I went down the boot rabbit hole many years ago- was a die hard Redwing wearer. When the heritage line came out I was thrilled- then I tried them on…holy-good-god are those things narrow and painful to try and wear!
    After several years I now have 6 pairs of custom made Whites (3 of them Oxfords), 2 pair of Chippewa (US made thank you very much) a pair of Thorogood, a pair of Wolverine 1k mile brogues, 2 pair of Corcoran made for At The Front (the rough-out cap toe and the Service shoes) and I still have my Iron Ranger brogues which still hurt to wear but they are so damn sexy and ultra rare.
    And stay away from Obernaufs! That shit will destroy your boots. Unless you are a smoke jumper- it’s overkill.

And the rabbit hole for me was vintage HiFi many years ago. It’s like herpes, you think you are over it and it flares back up again.

Danwales, nzshadow and marcn like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2021

Safir makes good products for finer leathers (some of my whites are calf), and Bicks is good for work boots of thicker leathers. I believe Allen Edmonds has their branded stuff made by safir and are cheaper for the most part- good creams and waxes. I used to get them at Nordstrom with my points and their shoe trees as well when they have them in their sales. Sierra Trading also sells cedar trees reasonably.

5. Cayohuesovespa Jul 9, 2021

channels:
    your daily does of internet.
    ozzy man reviews.
    SNL
    film theory/food theory (awesome stuff)

Doc Savage likes this.
  6. wagudc Jul 30, 2021

Polyglot channels: Xioma, Laoshu and many others

Extinct languages

Interviews with WWII vets

Many others I can't think of right now.

stonestone likes this.
  7. marcn Enough space to say witty Aug 13, 2021

Well this is new to me, though it's from 2018... and it's pretty cool (and very similar to the laurel/yanny one).

Whatever you choose to hear, either "brainstorm" or "green needle", that's what you'll hear!

8. marcn Enough space to say witty Aug 29, 2021

Frank is my hero.

First, this project is just brilliant. He could easily afford any of the prosumer jibs out there.

Second, as a fellow stutterer, any time anyone of us puts content out there just automatically earns my respect.

sat968 likes this.
  9. Nepomuceño Aug 29, 2021

sleepyastronaut and marcn like this.
  10. 64Wing Aug 29, 2021

Y'all are spending too much on boots! I kid you not, buy a pair of Caterpillars. Mine are 5 years old and still perfectly useable, comfortable, and good looking (which is in the eye of the beholder, but I think a nicely worn boot is nice looking).

For less than $100 you can have a really nice boot.

11. 64Wing Aug 29, 2021

Also, here's a list of channels I really enjoy:

Essential Craftsman
    Steve1989
    Smarter Every Day
    Project Farm
    Sampson Boat Co
    Dan Lee Boatbuilding
    Tips From a Shipwright
    Vigilance Elite
    Veritasium
    Colinfurze
    Norman's Rare Guitars

Some are severely binge-worthy (lookin at you, Steve1989).

12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 29, 2021

American railway grade pocket watches... its a deep and fascinating hole, but a hole none the less

noelekal and 64Wing like this.
  13. marcn Enough space to say witty Aug 29, 2021

A) Drifting is perfectly acceptable in this thread, because:
    B) This made me laugh harder than almost anything I can remember in the longest time!

BLOW UP, marco and blufinz52 like this.
  14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 29, 2021

Christopher Hitchens videos. Could listen to him all day.

BLOW UP, marco and Archer like this.
  15. spe777 Aug 30, 2021

"Todd in the Shadows." Never thought I'd end up watching so many videos about one hit wonders and terrible albums, but I'm absolutely hooked.

ahartfie likes this.
  16. 64Wing Aug 30, 2021

ahartfie likes this.
  17. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Aug 30, 2021

I have so many but here are just a few. YouTube Premium has been so, so worth it to get rid of the ads.

Technology Connections - everyday items explained. My favorite is the one about brown.
    PastaGrammar - An American man marries an Italian woman and learns about food
    The Second Empire Strikes Back - a couple in St. Louis rehab an abandoned house built in 1886 or so
    Modustrial Maker - Guy buys an abandoned building in Chicago and rehabs it, plus makes all kinds of nifty furniture and lights
    Rare Car Classics - a man's mid-60s to mid-70s land yacht collection. I want all his cars.
    The Try Channel - young Irish comedians try various food and drinks from around the world
    Periscope Film - all kinds of old educational/instructional movies

64Wing likes this.
  18. rcs914 Aug 30, 2021

The History Guy - absolute my number one recommended channel

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  19. marcn Enough space to say witty Sep 5, 2021

Mad respect to these incredibly skilled workers / artists!

20. marcn Enough space to say witty Sep 6, 2021

I don’t understand how this is done, but the results are never short of breathtaking. (They take old footage and somehow up-sample it to 4k 60fps, colorize it and add sound effects.)

Rochete likes this.