Forums Latest Members

Your Most Sentimental Watch - and Why

1. lando Nov 29, 2016

The most sentimental is the one i got from my father, which he got as a present from my mother: Omega De Ville Ref. 111.067 with a Cal. 620. While i already gifted a vintage Omega to my father in return, this Christmas it will be my mothers turn, when i will give her a Ladies Omega with a Cal. 620. Closing the circle, in a way :)

_DSC2151.JPG

More here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-de-ville-new-addition.12146/#post-199970

Larry S, alam, jimmyd13 and 7 others like this.
  2. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Nov 29, 2016

My great-grandfather's pocket watch. My grandfather always had the highest praise for his father's demeanor and comportment, and from what I've been able to piece together, he seemed like a pretty swell guy. I have a lot of his paperwork.

His watch in its stand:
    IMG_3046.JPG
    The man himself showing off his newborn daughter to his son, my grandfather, in 1912. Careful observers will note the ring on his left pinky is the same one I wear on my left pinky.

1912.jpg

Larry S, marcn, Jwit and 7 others like this.
  3. dialstatic Nov 30, 2016

That watch! That suit! That 'stache! People just oozed style back then. I'd love to wear that, but people would just dismiss me as a hipster or something.

Larry S and ahartfie like this.
  4. Pvt-Public Dec 1, 2016

These 2 simply because they were my dads, "nuff said.
    P3211147.JPG P1011855.JPG

Larry S, Jwit, Halldawg and 5 others like this.
  5. isaac.owen.nz Dec 3, 2016

Have an old lorus Mickey mouse with the moving arms that my parents brought for me while taking their last holiday in the states/experimental cancer treatment in Mexico. He died a little after that so means a lot to me. It's broken and at home on the other side of the world (hence no pics sorry) but some days I wear it anyway for fun and would like to eventually get it running or move the dial/hands into a donor to use.
    Brought my step dad a longines dress watch while working in Mallorca last year, hes a watch guy too and wanted one of the James Bond omega specials but was too pricey for me, maybe in another year or two I'll surprise him with a genuine to replace his fake one...

Larry S, bristnj, citizenrich and 3 others like this.
  6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 4, 2016

I see the "bad taste gene" runs strong in your family ::stirthepot::::stirthepot::

7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 4, 2016

In order to get my first Rolex sub, I had to lie about its true value to my business associate (who sold it to me way under value), while at the same time sleeping with his wife (and sister).

Needless to say the watch means a lot to me.

:thumbsup:

(I keed, I keed) ... :D

Larry S likes this.
  8. rcs914 Dec 5, 2016

I happened to post this in a different thread about best heirloom watches, but it is probably more appropriate here:

My dad wasn't into watches, but he always wore a fairly cheap quartz casio. For his birthday the year before he passed I bought him a G-Shock GW2500 ana-digi. It was cheap comparatively to pretty much anything discussed here at ~$175 but it was by far the most expensive watch he had ever had. He was so surprised when he opened it, and I could tell he really, really liked it. He wore it every day until he died suddenly 9 months later. I wore that watch for a year after he passed. It was my connection to him as his death had ripped a hole in my heart. I will never part with it.

In short, what you buy and what you have to pass down doesn't really matter. It's the connection to your dad. I love this watch because he loved it, and he wore it every day. It means far more to me than if he had had a Rolex in a drawer that he never wore except on special occasions.

I only have one really nice watch now, and that is my birth year '77 Speedmaster. My plan is someday it will be my son's as I doubt my daughter will be interested, but who knows? I don't know what else I might end up with before my time is done, but for me the Speedmaster is my favorite, and I hope that he will keep it and wear it in remembrance of me.

Larry S, lando, citizenrich and 4 others like this.
  9. Canuck Dec 5, 2016

Well, well! Not TOO many guys would announce such dalliances in a public forum such as this, even in JEST!

Larry S likes this.
  10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 5, 2016

1905 Longines, bought in Winnipeg Manitoba by my Swedish Grandfather just after he landed here in Canada. About this time he had gone into Winnipeg to pick up his bride, who followed him over after he got settled on his land grant in Jasmin, Sask. It was possibly purchased on that little break from sodbusting.
    P1000456.JPG

Larry S, bristnj, citizenrich and 2 others like this.
  11. jimmyd13 Dec 9, 2016

Same person?

Jwit likes this.
  12. bristnj Apr 19, 2017

This Bulova Type A-11 belonged to my wife's grandfather (Sam) during WWII. The watch was issued to him in December 1943, when he entered the Army as an infantry soldier. He saw is 2nd son (my father-in-law) born just days before he left for Europe. Sam fought mostly in Italy between 1944 and 1945. In September 1945 he was on a boat headed for Japan when they received word that Japan had surrendered. Sam returned to New York, NY on 1945 and finished the remainder of his service as an MP.

I had the privilege of knowing Sam early on when my wife and I were just dating. He passed just prior to us getting engaged, but he was aware that I was going to ask his granddaughter to marry me, and thankfully approved. This year marks our 20th wedding anniversary, and my father-in-law brought Sam's watch to share with us, knowing my love for time-pieces. I happily agreed to be the watches care-taker, but only until my son is old enough to truly appreciate its remarkable history and sentimental significance, at which time I will make sure he assumes the role. I can only image the horrors and triumphs, the good times and bad that this little 32mm Bulova witnessed. Sam was a wonderful man, and is missed to this day. What an honor it is for me to be able to take care of such a treasured family memento filled with so much history.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 19, 2017
    GregH, ahartfie, Larry S and 5 others like this.
  13. Edward53 Apr 19, 2017

Sorry but I can't help it........got to post this.......no offence intended!

ahartfie and Larry S like this.
  14. Kian Apr 19, 2017

For me it's my first luxury watch that I received on my wedding, it's a gift from my family and my wife, it reminds me of a great time ... and look at the dial and case back, amazing movement:

20170419_220839.jpg 20170419_221025.jpg

ahartfie, Larry S, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  15. ClarendonVintage Apr 19, 2017

Hmm, should I be worried that none of my watches are particularly sentimental to me? Haha
    I do love them as my properties tho...

Larry S likes this.
  16. Markinrecess Apr 19, 2017

17. Sculler22 Apr 19, 2017

My LeCoultre Master Mariner, a 16th birthday gift from my Dad. Rarely wear it, but will always treasure it.

bristnj likes this.