Forums Latest Members

Your Most Sentimental Watch - and Why

1. dialstatic Nov 16, 2016

This thread I like! My most sentimental watch is the PloProf that belonged to my dad. The backstory is as follows.

In the early 1970s, my dad took up a new hobby: scuba diving. It was still the early days of scuba diving as a recreational activity: the Professional Association of Diving Instructors had only been founded five years or so before. He joined a Dutch diving club and whenever they got the chance, the divers and their partners traveled to the Mediterranean for diving (Saint-Aygulf, Tenerife etc.). My dad was in his late twenties at the time and, like the other guys, felt invulnerable.

This often led to seriously reckless behaviour, which at one point resulted in a British diving team referring to the Dutch guys as the 'suicide divers'. This was not entirely incorrect: they would often descend to depths in excess of 80 meters whereby they would actually include their reserve air supply in their dive planning to be able to stay at depth longer (effectively leaving them without a reserve). It was common for them the drink heavily on the nights before diving, which all divers know is a (very) big no-no. They commonly dived without buddies (leading to one of them only finding the exit of a cave system at the very last minute) and in prohibited locations (leading to several being hospitalised after having been repeatedly swept up against sharp, barnacle-encrusted rocks).

In June of 1974, my dad thought is was time for a serious dive watch, and purchased the PloProf. He was wearing it in February of 1976 when he and his buddies went diving off the coast of Mallorca. After an uneventful dive, my dad was making his final decompression stop. But because he was fooling around with something he found on the seabed (a lobster, I believe), he didn't notice he was hovering at an angle (his feet about 1 meter higher than his head). Soon after boarding the boat, he began to feel ill. He and his buddies recognised the symptoms quickly enough: decompression sickness ('the bends') was setting in. Unfortunately, there was no decompression chamber on the island at the time. But flying to a location where he could be treated, was very risky (possibly even prohibited) because cabin pressure is even lower, thereby exacerbating the problem.

My dad was slowly getting worse, and they all knew it would likely be fatal if they didn't act. His buddies bough tickets to The Netherlands and snuck my dad aboard the airplane under the excuse that he was severely drunk (which, these days, would be a pretty poor excuse as it would get you banned from the plane). About halfway through the flight, they notified the cabin attendant of the real nature of the situation. An ambulance was standing by at Schiphol when they landed. By that time, my dad had lost consciousness and slipped into a coma. After treatment in a decompression chamber, he eventually came to, but was fully paralysed from the neck down.

Days later, he felt a tingling sensation, first in his toes. Gradually, feeling came back to his entire body, although he had to learn to walk again. He eventually made a full recovery, which surprised even his doctors. He never dived again, married my mother, and they had me in late 1977.

When I expressed an interest in diving in my early twenties, my dad gave me the PloProf that he was wearing during the accident as a tale of caution against reckless behaviour. I guess it worked: the watch reminds me that I very nearly was never born, and when began diving myself I was alsways obsessively concerned with safety. It also sparked my interest in watches in general, and in 1970s Omega sports watches in particular.

This is the story as it was told to me almost two decades ago, as far as I can remember. I'm very fortunate in that both my mom and dad are still alive, so I'll fact check when I see them this week and update if necessary. This is one watch that you'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers ;-)

omega_seamaster_166077_ploprof.png

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    Dash1, Taddyangle, Larry S and 36 others like this.
  2. bristnj Nov 16, 2016

Wow.......Reads like a suspense thriller!! Great watch and thanks for sharing the cool history!

Jwit and dialstatic like this.
  3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Nov 16, 2016

Great thread. History of these two watches have also been shared earlier but happy to do it again.

Omega 2639, anno 1950/1951, bought by my grandfather (farther's side), who died before I was born. When he died my father inherited it. After developing an interest in watches I began to greatly admire the watch. 13 years ago my father was diagnozed with alzheimers. He went to a nursing home in 2014 and died last month :( In the spring my mother gave me his watch to take care of because the caretakers at the nursing home had forgotten to take his watch off, when they bathed him. Luckily no permanent damage. I of course love the watch dearly as it has been on the wrist of either my father or grandfather every day for 65 years, which shows.
    image.jpeg

2. My first mechanical watch and the one that sparked my interest in vintage watches and Omega. Bought the day before the birth of my oldest daughter.
    image.jpeg

4. Spike Nov 16, 2016

A great thread to read through with some lovely stories.......

I have shown this watch a couple of years ago but feel it deserves a small mention here as well:

This was my Dad’s 18th birthday present from his parents in 1930 (the case and movement date the watch to 1928), I inherited it in 1980 when he sadly passed away.

It’s only 9k gold and wouldn’t have cost very much as the family were quite hard up with his father being a stone mason for the local cemetery and renting a small ‘2 up, 2 down’ Victorian terraced house on the outskirts of London.

My father told us they they had used the weekly rent to buy it for him and when the rent man came knocking they all had to lay on the floor until he’d gone in the hope that his dad would have enough work to pay 2 weeks rent the following week!

He wore it through WW2 as his good luck charm, the original strap is lost, the dial is unnamed, the 9k case has worn through at some stage with age and has been sealed inside with lead, the case has some dinks and the dial has shifted position, if indeed it is the original dial.

I had it fully serviced in 2014 and probably don't wear it as much as I should do.......

My least valuable watch in monetary terms but definitely my most sentimental.

DAD'S.JPG

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 16, 2016

Love the Art-Deco look! Is the dial painted or porcelain? Any more photo's?
    Watch looks like a large example for that era, very unique.
    Can you tell I love these?

Larry S and bristnj like this.
  6. Spike Nov 16, 2016

Painted or porcelain?...................I should know but am ashamed to say without getting it out of the safe later that I'm not sure!

I assumed the dial has been replaced sometime in its past purely on its decent condition having been through so much...............it does have a nice texture to the dial though!

Can certainly take a few more pics at some stage, it's nice to feel that someone appreciates it:)

Jwit likes this.
  7. aap Nov 16, 2016

Great stories guys. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had such sentimental stories about my watches. I'm sure my kids would when (and IF, hehe) I give them my watches.

Larry S and bristnj like this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 16, 2016

I'm sure you are right but the porcelain ones can hold up amazingly well.
    Would love to see more someday.

9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Nov 16, 2016

I really groove on these stories...good stuff...thanks for posting them. :thumbsup:

My most sentimental watch is my Seiko 6309-7049 which I purchased new at the NAS Whiting Field Navy Exchange in 1987 while I was in U.S. Navy primary flight training. It was my first dedicated 'flying watch' and I wore it for the remainder of Navy flight training as well as while flying in the fleet. I continued to wear it as an airline pilot and still wear it to this day at the 'donut factory office'. Also, while I was furloughed from Delta Air Lines from 2001 through 2006 due to the effects of September 11th, I wore it while proudly serving as a full time Cincinnati Police Officer patrolling the mean streets of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

In summary, my 6309 has served me well for almost 30 years...I know it's not worth much money-wise, but it's priceless to me. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Pics have been updated.

IMG_6897.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    George.A, Halldawg, philh and 18 others like this.
  10. Moppel Nov 17, 2016

Hi.

This Nivrel watch is my most sentimental watch.
    It was a birthday present to my Dad for his 60th birthday in 1998 given to him by my Mom and me.
    At that time is was about 2000 German Mark which is about 1000 Euros today ( inflation not counted in ).
    He wore it with pride until he died because of cancer in January 2015.
    IMG_3547_zpsv9is9mhg.JPG
    I am now wearing it occasionally even though I am not a big fan of gold-plated watches. And the case could also be a bit bigger. But obviously my taste begins to change a bit as I just bought a 40mm Rolex. So who knows maybe one day I’ll buy myself a gold-plated watch as well.
    The funny thing about his 60th birthday is that he and I spent a week during Christmas time in NYC.
    And when he turned 60 on December 8th he and I were standing on top of the Empire State building toasting each other with a glass of champagne. Nowadays, you’d find yourself in jail after drinking in public I guess.
    So while wearing this watch it brings back good old memories.

Regards from Germany

Thomas

Halldawg, JimInOz, ahartfie and 11 others like this.
  11. bristnj Nov 17, 2016

WOW! Absolutely loving these posts. What great stories and tributes about all those people and times we hold dear, and how we honor those wonderful memories by holding a special watch that's deeply associated with them!

Edited Nov 17, 2016
    Halldawg, Spike, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Nov 17, 2016

This watch was a gift from my wife, the first luxurious and expensive gift I'd ever received in my life. I was completely blown away when she handed me a varnished wooden box after work one day and I saw what was inside. For the first few weeks that I wore the watch (which only left my wrist for bathing or sports) I felt like it gave me an aura of 'specialness' -- I suppose because of its value and the generosity behind its giving. I wore it so much, sometimes in situations not safe for a dress watch with a soft gold bezel, that it began to show some dings and scratches. But I didn't want to be without it, and when I didn't wear it I didn't want to be without a watch of comparable quality. So I bought myself a Planet Ocean with a ceramic bezel (pictured in my avatar) to be my other watch that I would wear when it was unsafe to wear my precious gift watch. And that's how I first set foot on the slippery slope of watch madness.

I still get that feeling of specialness each time I put this watch on :)

IMG_0573_mods.jpg

Edited Nov 17, 2016
    Halldawg, gostang9, ahartfie and 11 others like this.
  13. kkt Nov 17, 2016

Fancy, like to see the movement that can produce foottapping like that! What's the power reserve?

14. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2016

@bristnj - Are you sure you didn't mean to title this thread "You're most sentimental Speedmaster"? :p

kkt and bristnj like this.
  15. BFunky Nov 18, 2016

My mark 4.5, its my dads old watch
    IMG_20161118_190108.jpg

16. alam Nov 19, 2016

a Rado, received as a gift from my father 35 years ago.. serviced for the first time a couple of years ago by Steve (where's is he by the way?) This one has sort of a gentle sparkling dial too :thumbsup:

:)

IMG_3544.JPG
    Halldawg, bristnj and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. fnfz4 Nov 20, 2016

I guess the most for me will be an Explorer.. was my first Rolex so we have a love hate relationship. I would get tired of it but then would always come back to it.

Halldawg likes this.
  18. jimmyd13 Nov 20, 2016

If we're talking true sentimental value and nothing else, then there's only one choice for me. This isn't haute horology, it's simply the watch that my grandmother gave me when her brother died. My great uncle tried his best to teach me greek and latin; make me understand crosswords; explained geo-politics as well as popular feeling; these and many more things he tried to teach me and, along the way, managed nothing more than teaching me how to read and understand people. Probably the best skill I have.

Here's his, now my, watch:

Z2IviCk.jpg

Halldawg, ConElPueblo and bristnj like this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 21, 2016

This is a trio of watches presented to me by my Darlin' Ms A at various times through our relationship.
    They may not be in the big league of watch names, but mean more to me than most of my other watches.

Trio.JPG

Jwit, Halldawg and bristnj like this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 21, 2016

The most sentimental of course, is the little gold Omega Genève presented to my Dad on his retirement in 1977. It was passed to me by my sister who looked after all of Dad's things when he died.
    I don't wear it often, just on special days in his memory.

It'll be passed down to my son when I toddle off.

BHP_Geneve.JPG

Jwit, Halldawg, UncleBuck and 4 others like this.