Forums Latest Members
  1. gefmey Mar 7, 2020

2. wsfarrell Mar 7, 2020

Wow---that eBay "store" is scary.......

Duracuir1 likes this.
  3. WatchCor Mar 7, 2020

Yep, indeed

Just out of curiosity, how does this work? The account has listed Paypal payment as an option. Don't these types of scams usually have bank transfer option? ::confused2::Unless of course the sales accounts PayPal account has been hacked simultaneously.:thumbsdown:

4. wsfarrell Mar 8, 2020

You can't buy these watches on eBay. The scammer directs you to a URL that looks sort of like eBay, but isn't. You fill out your name, address, email, etc. and they will send you an invoice. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be a PayPal invoice. I sent them my info, and will soon be the new owner of a Rolex ceramic Daytona for $3,450. Yippee!! :)

P.S. I also reported them to eBay.

5. WatchCor Mar 8, 2020

Congrats ;)

That m.o. makes sense. Thx for clarifying.

6. khanmu Mar 8, 2020

Unfortunately for eBay it seems to be a “whack-a-mole” game with these scammers...

7. default Mar 8, 2020

I have been scammed a 33mm 1940ties steel Patek through ebay recently. the watch had massive patina and an ugly dial and was listed for about 4000 usd. the seller offered PayPal and I paid with PayPal. after I had sent him the money through PayPal he immediately refunded the PayPal money and lured me into a bank transfer. His argument was, that PayPal does not allow him to retrieve this funds for two weeks, and I believed him and transferred the money. Another reason for me being so stupid was that I couldn't imagine someone scamming a 33mm vintage Patek - there is not much market for such a model. of course the watch never arrived and the seller suddenly didn't reply any more to emails.... end of a sad story.

DaveK likes this.
  8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 8, 2020

The scammers post a watch of mine more than I do :D

Spacefruit, wsfarrell, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 8, 2020

Sorry to hear. Cheating people has become big business these days.

KP-99 and MikiJ like this.
  10. TexOmega Mar 8, 2020

Not only these days. Just a few new avenues for them to ply their trade.

DaveK likes this.
  11. wsfarrell Mar 8, 2020

It seems the scammer is in Italy. Here's my "eBay" invoice for the Daytona:
    --------------------------------

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dear William Farrell ([email protected]),

Sun, 08 Mar 2020 06:53:50 +0000
    eBay Transaction #1326082272 approved![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Item Name: ROLEX DAYTONA STAINLESS STEEL WATCH 116500LN COM2037
    Shipping Method: [​IMG]
    Shipping address: William Farrell
    xxxxxx
    xxxxxx
    United States
    2015-03-17 18:09:08 +0000

Payment Details

Item Price: US $ 3,450.00
    Postage and packaging: US $ 0.00
    Total US $ 3,450.00
    Need help regarding this transaction?
    Click the Live Help button

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Complete your eBay transaction in 5 easy steps:

1. Buyer and seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price.
    2. Seller contacts eBay with the transaction details, eBay accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from either the buyer or the seller).
    3. The buyer sends payment and the seller receives it. After the payment is received, the seller must notify eBay. The Buyer will send the payment details directly to the seller`s email address. The seller has three business days to send the buyer and eBay the tracking number of the shipment. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the buyer.
    4. Buyer receives the merchandise and has 14 days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the buyer should accept the merchandise. If he refuses the merchandise, the buyer must ship the merchandise back to the seller within three business days.
    5. After the inspection period is over, the buyer must contact eBay with the result of the inspection. If the buyer refuses the merchandise, the refund will be sent to the buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified.

[​IMG] Conditions to be met before you may ask for a refund:

Here are the situations suitable for a refund request:
    1. If the item doesn't arrive and/or the seller stops communications after the payment was received.
    2. If the merchandise you receive has different specifications than the ones you agreed on.
    3. If your merchandise arrives in a much longer period than the one you agreed on (more than 15 days from the payment clearance day);
    For cases 2. and 3. you have to send back the merchandise to the seller prior to ask for your refund. If you did not pay the seller by the payment method required by us, your refund request will be declined.

To complete the transaction, payment must be made using bank-to-bank electronic wire transfer (see below). Wire transfer is a method of transferring money from one person or institution (entity) to another. A wire transfer can be made from one bank account to another bank account or through a transfer of cash at a cash office. Send the payment using the following seller details:
    [​IMG]
    You should use the fastest service using online banking.
    As a payment reference please use your receipt number: 1326082272.
    Once paid, please provide your Seller with a photo/screenshot of the payment.
    Need help regarding this transaction?
    Click the Live Help button

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This eBay notice was sent to[email protected]based on your eBay account preferences. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit ourPrivacy PolicyandUser Agreementif you have any questions.Copyright 2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

WurstEver and DaveK like this.
  12. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 8, 2020

Wow! And to think I was considering buying from that Australian guy...

Much cheaper to get screwed this way!

13. gefmey Mar 13, 2020

14. gefmey Mar 13, 2020

gemini4 likes this.