Forums Latest Members

Is this IWC cal 89 dial too good to be true?

1. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Watch is in Germany, listed for around $3100, but negotiable. Listing says it was originally purchased from Goldammer.

The dial is so clean (to my eyes), I have to wonder if it's been re-finished...

Also, anyone with knowledge of this ref: is it (as the listing claims) really 37mm? Others that I think of the same model say 35, so I'm wondering if some people are measuring in a funny way.

Thanks in advance!

IWC2.jpg IWC1.jpg IWC3.jpg
  2. NT931 May 20, 2024

Hmm, hard to tell based on the pics, as there's no 'straight-on' pic. But for a watch said to be from 1950 in the listing, you can try matching it to some of the known variants below.

IWC fonts logos from Vintage Caliber - OF.jpg

ketiljo, zedlebowski and Annapolis like this.
  3. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Thank you! There are more pics in the listing, including some that are head-on, but they're not as tight and close as I'd need to do a detailed comparison with your images. Maybe I can see if the seller can provide one.

4. Ron_W May 20, 2024

Nice watch !
    Goldammer is a reputable dealer who is also on Instagram and here ; Classic Vintage Watches – Goldammer Vintage Watches

This "shark fin" model cal 89 is often listed as 37mm, but i think without the crown it is just under so 36,7 mm. It has one of the nicest Italic script logo`s of the era, and from the C24 pictures i say it is correct - unless it is a completely new pad printed dial. Several others can be found by google search from Menta and other sellers so you can compare the pictures. Good Hunting !

Annapolis likes this.
  5. Annapolis May 20, 2024

Thanks for this feedback! It's so much cleaner than all the others I've found---and I'm just skeptical enough to find that worrisome as much as exciting. :)

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 20, 2024

IWC are quality watches. I’ve seen a great number with very old original dials in excellent condition.

Pictures here are way too out of focus to be able to express an opinion on originality of the dial.

I think the price is very high for what it is.
    gatorcpa

7. Annapolis May 20, 2024

The price does seem high, but also seems to be around what they get listed for---usually in lesser quality.

I've contacted the seller about a better dial pic.

UPDATE: as yet, no reply from the seller. (Wrote my note in German and English.) Probably need to move on, even though I like this watch quite a bit.

Edited May 21, 2024
  8. NT931 May 20, 2024

I don't think the IWC that the OP has posted is a 'shark fin' IWC. The shark fin ones have rather different lugs, see this prior OF ad for one that sold a few years ago, and another sold by Goldammer previously.

As for redial, I've seen a few vintage watches from different brands, sold by Goldammer, that looked like redials (at least to me, like the one below)
    upload_2024-5-20_23-13-15.png

So just like for any dealer or seller, best to ask for good photographs and do your due D.

Edited May 20, 2024
    Annapolis likes this.
  9. Annapolis May 20, 2024

10. Ron_W May 20, 2024

Correct, the OP posted watch has the thinner lugs, the shark fin`s are wider. It is however a common monniker , like fancy lugs, to help find more examples on the web for comparisson.
    I think this typical Italic logo font is the most difficult to restore/repaint as it is such a fine print, and thus easy to spot. But with today`s tech it is possible to do an exact print over as some watch dial restorers on IG show.
    So yes, ask for good pictures and make it clear upfront you dont want a redial :thumbsup:

Annapolis likes this.
  11. Ron_W May 20, 2024

This is an easier to spot repainted logo in Italic style ;

iwc cal 89.jpg

NT931 and Annapolis like this.
  12. Dan S May 20, 2024

I have the same reference, and it is 37mm. These dials often hold up very well.

Annapolis likes this.
  13. queriver May 21, 2024

The 2nd photo in the C24 listing shows subtle dial spotting under magnification. It's most visible between 12 and 4 but that might just be due to the dial angle and the way the camera focussed.

Annapolis likes this.