Forums Latest Members

WRULT? (what are you listening to?)

1. Tako Yaki Feb 22, 2021

allwoundup likes this.
  2. CameronD Feb 22, 2021

3. vbrad26 Feb 22, 2021

FIrst time I heard them i was like....what Zeppelin song is this? lol.

This is what was on when I pulled up to the office today so it is still stuck in my head...

4. Edward53 Feb 22, 2021

Tako Yaki likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 22, 2021

So I put that video on, and yes, definitely a Led Zep vibe. I then pulled up Tidal and put their full catalogue on. These guys are straight up copying Led Zep's sound.

Read up an Wikipedia, and it says this about their sound:

"Greta Van Fleet are often compared to Led Zeppelin.[53] Jake related that he "... went through a year of really intensely studying what [Jimmy] Page did to the point I knew how he thought," but he has studied other classic rock guitarists in a similar manner, specifically mentioning Pete Townshend.[54] Likewise, on his voice being compared to Robert Plant's, Josh said that Plant has certainly been an influence, "though it's not what I was going for."[55] Stating that he did not even know who Led Zeppelin were until high school, he explained that his singing style came out naturally one day while struggling to be heard over the rest of the band."

I have to say I do not buy for a second that his style developed naturally. Given the sound of the band, the choices of inflection, and even down to the lyrics, this is pretty blatant copying. Having said that, at least Robert Plant is okay with it:

"In a March 2018 interview, Plant said of Greta Van Fleet, "they are Led Zeppelin I" and described Josh as "a beautiful little singer.""

Wivac, Tako Yaki and vbrad26 like this.
  6. vbrad26 Feb 22, 2021

So Robert Plant basically complemented himself hah.
    I didn't think it was as noticeable in the posted video but there was one song where if you told me it was LZ I would have believed it lol.

Tako Yaki likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 22, 2021

Agreed. For me this is so close it's not funny...

allwoundup, CameronD and Tako Yaki like this.
  8. 64Wing Feb 22, 2021

I heard (and cannot confirm) that Page won't let them actually cover any Zeppelin tunes.

My opinion as a guitarist is that Jimmy Page is one of the best of all time with respect to his tonal development and his innovative playing style. The guitarist for Van Fleet is good, no doubt, but nowhere near the chops that Jimmy had even 50 years ago. Not saying that to demean the kid's abilities. He's bound to get better and better. Maybe the band will find a shift in their sound and realize they can make an even better go of it by sounding more like them and less like Zeppelin.

Still like to crank up some fleet from time to time though. They are fellow Michiganders

CameronD and Tako Yaki like this.
  9. Tako Yaki Feb 22, 2021

Steven Stills -
    Concert @ Capitol Theatre,
    March 1979

allwoundup and TexOmega like this.
  10. Tako Yaki Feb 22, 2021

Graham Nash - wild tales 1973

allwoundup likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 22, 2021

[​IMG]
    Youtube doesn't sound as good as this tune does when played on our stereo from the CD.

12. Tako Yaki Feb 22, 2021

I mostly just plug the smartphone to the home stereo and listen.
    Sure quality isn’t best but quantity of choices are ...
    Lol!

As living in another than my own country, I did not ship much of my music library when I moved to Japan. Vinyl Records are not getting better from beeing months in a shipping container !

noelekal likes this.
  13. CameronD Feb 23, 2021

Speaking of Zeppelin Clones:

How can we not forget (wish we could) Kingdom Clone.

Edited Feb 23, 2021
    64Wing likes this.
  14. CameronD Feb 23, 2021

Going back to the source - John Bonham's son's band, Bonham. Certainly, huge Zeppelin influence.

15. CameronD Feb 23, 2021

Here is what the late, great Gary Moore had to say about Zeppelin clones. With Ozzy on vocals:

Tako Yaki likes this.
  16. vbrad26 Feb 23, 2021

[​IMG]

Thats the one! haha.

Wivac and Archer like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2021

A number of years ago, we were at 3-day long outdoor music festival, and Sammy Hagar played with his band. Of course he played some of his solo stuff, some songs from when he was in Van Halen, but the drummer in the band was Jason Bonham. They played a number of Led Zep songs, and with Sammy on vocals, it was very good.

In one section they had the screens at the back of the stage showing old footage John Bonham doing a drum solo while his son played it live...it was pretty cool...

18. smoothsecondscom Feb 23, 2021

Not sure that this is the taste of most of you seeing as the previous posts were quite different genres, but i'm still listening to this:

Tako Yaki and vbrad26 like this.
  19. vbrad26 Feb 23, 2021

Not one of host most popular I don;t think but one of my personal favorites of his...

20. Snooz Feb 23, 2021

Jamiroquai today :)

abrod520, Tako Yaki and CPRwatch like this.