Forums Latest Members

Would you swap this for a Speedy Pro?

1. Dedalus05 Aug 1, 2020

I picked this up at an auction in January:

20200529_144131.jpg

A JLC Master Ultra Thin Date. I got a really sweet deal on it. I like the watch, it is very, very nice. But I am at that point in the cycle now where I want a fresh watch to wear. No particular reason, I just want a new watch :)

Buying one outright is not an option, because I don't have the readies. So I put the JLC up on a local small ads site, and have been offered €4k for it (it is listed at 5.5k). What I think I want is a Moonwatch, and that €4k would allow me to get a second hand as-new Speedy for sale on the same site that was bought in 2020.

What I can't decide is if I would be underselling the JLC, or if I should bite the hand off the guy who has offered me 4k. My instinct is the Speedy will hold it's value long after this watch has fallen to the sub €2k mark. And having a watch that holds value is one of my criteria. Am I wrong in my evaluation of both watches?

(Sorry mods if this comes across as a pitch for a sale/trade. It is not and I will not be entertaining PMs to that end. Delete if it is inappropriate).

Other pics:

1036104-f389b400c0b5af2e1ae907b0c81acd7f.jpg

a43478cc11c470d8037fad8a610f7dae.jpg

20200529_144537.jpg
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 1, 2020

I am in the mood for a JLC and have been looking at a master ultra thin moon, so have been looking at these recently. The JLC MUT are offered at around US$5k, but I have not seen the blue dial version you have for sale. So I think you would be selling at under market for EU 4k. Also the speedie will be around forever so you don’t exactly have to rush into a purchase.

mayankyadav, Eve and Spacefruit like this.
  3. time flies Aug 1, 2020

Why not? Yes. I would...if I had a second or third or forth Speedmaster. I might think twice if the Speedmaster was my only other watch or ...well anyhow its really what you want to do. I like the jlc.
    Do it. As above.. you will always find another speedmaster 20190328_160652.jpg 20190110_064634.jpg
    have fun
    kfw

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 1, 2020

I think you may have misunderstood the OP's question, he has the JLC, not a speedmaster.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. janice&fred Aug 1, 2020

The JLC is pure class. The speedmasters all look the same and are a dime a dozen.*

*Just couldn't resist poking the speedy dweebs :D

Pazzo, JwRosenthal and Dedalus05 like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 1, 2020

No, I think he's saying Speedmasters are a dime a dozen compared to the JLC.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 1, 2020

Haha, great minds...

janice&fred likes this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 1, 2020

Except I wasn't poking.

9. Dedalus05 Aug 1, 2020

Thanks for the feedback so far. The feeling being the Speedy is not the best swap I could do. But it is a nice position to be in - I got the JLC for a song. A guy asked me once if it was a Daniel Wellington. He begged for his life before the end.

lindo and abrod520 like this.
  10. time flies Aug 1, 2020

Thank you. My mistake. Sorry. Apparently as much as I try I still have thoes moments. I do like the jlc and think the speedmaster is...available...all the time...everywhere.

Again. Thanks
    kfw

Edited Aug 1, 2020
  11. WatchCor Aug 1, 2020

So you got that gorgeous watch by singing? Wau. I am impressed. (Unless that's a english idiom I am not familiar with:thumbsdown:)

The few times I have tried singing I didn't get watches thrown at me. :oops:

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. Dedalus05 Aug 1, 2020

"To go for a song means to be sold for little money, to be bought or sold for much less than the item is worth".

No need to make a song and dance of it ;)

WatchCor likes this.
  13. w@tcher Aug 3, 2020

I would do that...
    I don't care if there are thousands of Speedies out there...

If i had to keep only one watch,then it would be the Speedy.

The most beautiful and iconic in my eyes...

14. Eve Aug 3, 2020

Does your watch has box and papers?

I like your JLC very much, i would keep it and save money for a Speedy.
    Keep on singing, maybe you will get a good deal on a new Speedy too ;)

Dedalus05, lindo and michael22 like this.
  15. Dedalus05 Aug 3, 2020

No box or papers. No provenance to speak off. An over looked auction item I swooped in on. I've since had it serviced and authenticated, but that's it.

So on the one hand I am anxious to solidify my advantage, such as it is, by parlaying the gains on this watch into something with more appeal (today I am thinking a Seamaster Diver 300M "Great White"). And on the other I can't help but think of the numerous stories of guys/gals on OF who sold a piece and since regret it. The JLC is the classiest watch I own (I know that deep-down in my plums).

Maybe I need to off-load a price and regret it at least once so I can call myself a watch hobbyist - either way today I am gonna go into the city and have a look around and what is going for the 4-5k mark.

16. Dan S Aug 3, 2020

When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about a trade, but apparently you are talking about selling your JLC (for less than its market value) and then hypothetically buying a Speedmaster, assuming it is still available. These are two separate transactions, and so really it's entirely a financial question. Since it's a financial issue, and you are "anxious to solidify your advantage", I think you should sell your JLC for its actual market value. Selling it for less, just so you can buy a Speedmaster is the opposite of solidifying your advantage.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  17. Dedalus05 Aug 3, 2020

But Dan...

20200803_135812.jpg

Seriously tho, you are right. Thank you. I think my asking price is right. I won't let it go for less.

Dan S likes this.
  18. Eve Aug 3, 2020

Comon, the JLC fits you like a glove! Such a wonderfull watch! ::love::

Edited Aug 3, 2020
    Dedalus05 likes this.