Forums Latest Members

would rebuilding this 1603 make sense?

1. S.H. Jun 7, 2021

Hello,

not being too good at vintage Rolex I could use some advice. I could buy a steel 1603 case, hands and trashed dial for 3-400eur from someone I know. I looked around for a movement but I never see lone 1570s these days. I saw this on ebay, a 1560 with a slightly older swiss dial. Caseback says II.65 . I assume that a 1560 in 1965 could make sense but a swiss only dial, not so much?

Pictures of ebay dial+movement (around 3k, ouch, it would only make sense if negotiable around 2.2k maybe):

jydfh2.jpg jydfh.jpg

Picture of case+trashed dial; case sure had a life

DSC_6908.jpeg

What do you think? Stupid idea/abort or proceed with caution?

2. cristos71 Jun 7, 2021

I don't mind crazy projects as long as I start with a good dial. Otherwise it can be time consuming, expensive and frustrating.

I write these words whilst in the middle of a time consuming, expensive and frustrating project where I didn't start with a good dial....

3. Canuck Jun 7, 2021

I guess if you are as desperate to own a Rolex as it sounds to me that you might be, ask yourself what the chances are that you will be happy with the result! And do you have access to parts, should they be needed?

4. Dan S Jun 7, 2021

I don't think it will be too difficult to find a decent dial. Unfortunately, I suspect that the movement may be the hardest, since many are probably being scavenged for Subs.

Dries and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. S.H. Jun 7, 2021

:D

I know, I always say it myself.
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I'm never desperate to own a watch, but I don't like good parts sitting around doing nothing. And a clean 36mm oyster case is good. As for the parts access, well, is it just money. Those movement parts are common. It not like the 1930s AS1034 that is giving me trouble for some time now.

Indeed. I procrastinated for two years and prices climbed steadily.

I'll sleep on it, I'll probably find it is a dumb idea in a day or two. Doesn't make much economical sense.

6. Jkbenn02 Jun 7, 2021

Negotiate better

7. Sherbie Jun 7, 2021

Dumb idea IMO - just buy a decent one or an old Air-King ( probably still the cheapest Rolex right now)

Mark020 likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jun 7, 2021

Not anymore. Cat is out of the bag on those

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  9. S.H. Jun 8, 2021

Indeed, a boring old white one is 3.5k now where I am located. Prices are nuts.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. Dries Jun 8, 2021

I personally don't like the idea of a champagne dial in a steel case, it will always smell of transplant.

I do like that steel case though, how is that dial in person? It can't be that bad?

But, as said before, the bottleneck will be the movement.

11. JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2021

As said before, the movement is the issue as these get pillaged for higher value watches. The pillaging leaves behind dials, some in very nice shape, so they are out there....but then we are back to the movement.