Forums Latest Members
  1. steevvvooo May 21, 2020

I know the answer is "only you can decide" but humour me for a moment...

I have a hesalite Speedie I've owned for about 7 years. Model year is about 2000 I think from memory. Bought without the bracelet and I wear on a variety of coloured natural leather straps. It's a great watch and I love it. It needs a service (running 2 mins a day fast!) which will get done soon. Watch is part of a varied rotation.

I missed out on a brand new Soyuz meteorite Speedie around 2014 for £3500. Regretted it for a long time and now I'm considering biting the bullet and getting one. What's holding me back is after servicing my current watch it will be worth maybe a couple of grand in trade? I've seen a few meteorite speedies in the £8k range so I'll be basically paying 4x my current watch just for the dial.

I know the dial is special, but come on... Doesn't it sound nuts when put like that?! Has the lockdown turned my brain to mush...?

Screenshot_20200521_222033.jpg Screenshot_20200521_222212.jpg
  2. hanky6 May 21, 2020

7E865AFB-29DF-4E55-B382-707240EAD686.jpeg I love my Meteorite but one thing to consider is the Sapphire crystal. Its not a big deal for most people but if you are a die-hard Hesalite fan you might be a little bit annoyed/irritated by the look of Sapphire. Does not scratch as easily though, so the watch looks minter;) for longer.
    I say go for it if you can afford it:thumbsup:

3. stevec14 May 21, 2020

The monetary aspect only you can answer. As an upgrade, yes it’s a terrific watch with few around. Will look Great with a black croc giving a plat 321 look.

As you have asked the question, I assume you want to and want some encouragement. I say go for it.

4. YY77 May 21, 2020

I'm mesmerized by the great dial but the asking prices are too rich for my blood, already having the A11 50SS not willing to pay almost same for the soyuz.

5. SkunkPrince May 21, 2020

Coveting fancy is fine. So also is saying "this is nutso!" at an outrageous price point is fine too.

You own the ICON, the one everything else is merely painting the lily. There is nothing wrong with that.

6. OmeGez May 21, 2020

Personally, I wouldn’t. By your post I can sense you’ve already talked yourself out of it. Unfortunately, I think you’ve missed the boat when they were £3500. Enjoy what you have, as you already have one that your fond of.

7. Eric304 May 21, 2020

I would upgrade to a vintage ed white if you sending around 8k

TDBK and apsm100 like this.
  8. Caliber561 May 21, 2020

I was able to find one new at an AD last year, complete with the 5yr warranty. They might still be out there if you have a chance to look.

9. steevvvooo May 22, 2020

thanks all. I honestly thought there would be more forceful enabling :)

@hanky6 yours looks great! I would sell some other watches to make up the difference so not too worried about affording it but struggling to make sense of the trade.

@stevec14 croc strap would make it resemble the 321 platinum, you are right. I most likely would wear it on a grey natural leather strap (same as the blue one on my photo) and dress it down a bit though

@YY77 @SkunkPrince @OmeGez you all seem to be inline with my OP... nice watch, not necesarily value but that isn't always the point in this hobby I guess

@Eric304 don't open a can of worms please :) You will have me burried in the depths of the internet for months if I start looking...

@Caliber561 that was a lucky find! I'm still amazed that people who work in these ADs don't seem to know the value of some limited editions and they sit there in the ADs for years. You would have expected someone, be it an employee, a random passerby, someone hunting to make a quick buck, to spot it and realise they could flip it even if they didn't like the piece themselves. Unless it wasn't in the case I guess?

hmmm, food for thought though. I think if I can get a new one, even at close to market value vs list price, that came with the 5yr warranty that could sway me but if it's a used model, no warranty, with some enamel peeling on the back which many seem to have then perhaps I'm best holding tight at current prices and moving on. Missed the boat as noted :(

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 22, 2020

Nope, keep your Speedmaster and spend the cost of your watch on another watch.
    If that doesn’t work spend the price of both watches on another watch.
    (Your still under a Soyuz at this point by your maths above)

2 new watches scratches more itches than one. ;)

simomega and DJG2645 like this.
  11. Japanred May 22, 2020

I love my Apollo Soyuz and wear it frequently. There’s something about the backstory to it and the dial having come from outer space that I like

Like you I missed out when new and ended up paying £6,650 in October 2018. I think it’s worth the extra money but the beauty of this game is that we all like different things :)
    4E177F08-41D9-4F4B-A048-A3254D34D38C.jpeg CA2CCBDD-F75E-4CF4-91ED-DFB37723DF70.jpeg

hanky6 likes this.
  12. steevvvooo May 22, 2020

@Japanred you are not making this easy... :)

I thought I had a lead on a new one from a dealer but turned out it wasn't real :(

I'm leaning towards keeping what I have but as you said the allure of an out of space dial is strong, and there is certainly an element of FOMO/the unobtainable grail about this for me having missed one years ago that I regret

13. Japanred May 23, 2020

It’s a tough decision steevvvooo, but a nice problem/decision to have. Have you tried one on yet?

The one I bought was for sale in Cornwall from a watch dealer. I enquired about it and it turned out that he (the dealer) was coming to Leeds (my city) to visit his daughter at uni 2 weeks later. I said to my wife “I’ll just go try it on, it can’t hurt can it”. She replied with “if you try it on you will buy it” and the rest is history. I guess she knows me too well haha. I met him in a hotel lobby and just liked the whole look and feel of it. It’s brilliant in the sun and really brings out the meteorite. The fact that no two are the same is a bonus.

I don’t think you will be able to make the decision based on pictures alone. If I hadn’t tried it on I probably wouldn’t have bought it.

14. steevvvooo May 27, 2020

@Japanred I haven't tried one but have seen one in person when I stumbled across one in a local jewelers window years ago. It was brand new at at AD and I emailed to enquire. It was in the window for £3500 from memory (or they may have offered me that price on email, can't remember now) but I also tried to get them to throw in the interest free deal they had in store at the time. They wouldn't accommodate and I passed. Annoying thing was I didn't need the interest free to buy but felt put out that they wouldn't show me some negotiation.

When I decided a few weeks later to go ahead it was obviously gone. I'm reluctant to pay £8k+ for one now given it won't even be new but given my history with the meteorite dial this is close to a grail. I hate the use of that word in watch circles but if a grail is not a mythical unobtainable object then what is it?!

Japanred likes this.
  15. rootbeer7 May 28, 2020

I’m a recent Speedy convert having bought a stunning tritium model. I don’t think you can better the matte black dial of the ‘standard’ Speedy.

16. Japanred May 28, 2020

I completely understand your predicament mate. Hard to justify paying more than double what you could have got one for previously. That being said, if it’s your grail watch then I’d go for it. It may cost £8k but I just see that as money in the bank or future inheritance for the kids. You will get back at least what you pay for it if you decide to sell in future.

I’ve spent Too much money on watches, which is insane. However I know that I can get back the money I’ve spent if I need to (eg if I lost my job). Failing that I’ll hand them down to the kids and they can either sell or keep.

What’s worst that could happen? You buy the watch and in 12-18 months decide it’s not for you. Sell it for round about what you pay for it, maybe losing £1000 maximum in dealer margin, and then buy something else.

hanky6 likes this.
  17. stevec14 May 28, 2020

I think this may be the answer. Yes it’s more money but if it makes you happy then it’s worth every penny.

sometimes an itch needs to be scratched and as above it’s a piece which due to its scarcity is unlikely to do too much damage should you feel the need to liquidate in the future.

Japanred likes this.