Forums Latest Members
  1. omegastar Oct 3, 2019

watchlovr likes this.
  2. omegastar Oct 3, 2019

I mean it should say dismantled ? Right ?

3. larryganz The cable guy Oct 3, 2019

"(it came with box and papers from the original owner. Box and Papers are not included.)"

Well of course, if he's keeping the case with Serial Number then he might as well keep papers and box for it, just without the original movement, dial, and hands that he's selling.

wsfarrell and connieseamaster like this.
  4. oinkitt Oct 3, 2019

I cant see what the big deal is. People have been parting out Rolex's for years.

I think his listing is a bit silly. Why add the original owner and box and papers crapola??

ndgal likes this.
  5. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

@omegastar Here is a silly question. What is wrong/bad with what this seller is doing with his own property, and why would you chalk this up to “Bad reputation” exactly? :confused:

6. omegastar Oct 3, 2019

I am just imagining the « All Original, box and paper Amazing Rolex 5513 Submariner » coming up next. Maybe he is an empty watch case collector.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

Bingo...

8. omegastar Oct 3, 2019

Is it yours ?

9. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

No. But even if it was, what’s the difference? As you’ve mentioned in your previous comment, you have already crated (imagined) a story in your head about what the seller has done with the rest of the watch and called their reputation into question based on your imaginary storyline... ::facepalm2::

10. omegastar Oct 3, 2019

That is exactly what I would call reputation, what people think of...
    I am trying to exchange with other members on the subject, I am not a offensive and if I was it was unintentional.

11. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

You are free to think what you want, but labeling someone (or a group of people) with “Bad” reputation based on an imaginary scenario that you have conjured up in your head is just wrong IMO.

12. sgrossma Oct 3, 2019

As long as he doesn’t sell and label the franken watch as “100% untouched, original barn find, single owner, never dismantled, never touched” then I guess it’s okay :)

13. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

Which Franken watch?

14. sgrossma Oct 3, 2019

I meant the ‘imaginative’ new watch he was going to build :)

15. ndgal Oct 3, 2019

Ah, I see... A lot if theories and conspiracies over imaginary watches that have never existed and actions that never took place... But watch dealers are bad... ::facepalm1::

16. larryganz The cable guy Oct 3, 2019

But that’s what I just said.

17. Edward53 Oct 4, 2019

I know nothing about Rolexes so pardon my ignorance, but what possible reason could there be for removing what looks like a perfectly good dial and movement from a full set and selling it off separately?
    The word "vandalism" comes to my mind, but as I said there may be something I'm not getting here.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 4, 2019

If the case was badly damaged, the he could be just trying to get the most value of what he has. However with laser welding and refinishing techniques available these days, that doesn't seem likely to me.

If he has box and papers matching the serial number on the case, and he's keeping the boxes, papers and matching case, I can't really think of a legitimate reason for doing this.

Before a dealer tells my I'm dreaming stuff up, I would love to hear some alternate theories about why anyone would do this...

sdre, Lonestar, Temprus and 4 others like this.
  19. ndgal Oct 6, 2019

That’s the beautiful thing about living in a free country. There shouldn’t be any “legitimate reason” to do anything and everything you want with your own personal property.

You’re dreaming up stuff.

He made a necklace from the midcase.
    He made a candle holder from the caseback
    He used the papers as a table setting.
    And the box was used as a house for his pet hamster.

Here’s your alternate theory.
    Hope everyone’s satisfied...

Edited Oct 6, 2019
    southtexas likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2019

Exactly what I thought...

sdre, Hijak, Lonestar and 1 other person like this.