Forums Latest Members

Wittnauer 8007 Super Compressor

1. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 24, 2020

One of my favourite watches in my collection happens to be one the cheapest in my collection - and no it is not the Wittnauer that this post will describe, it is in fact a Rotary Aquaplunge skin diver from the 1960s, on an original signed tropic band.

IMG_6343.jpg

Skin divers, like the recent reissue by Longines are beautiful watches and those from the 60s are real class with simple black and white dials and bezels that make them elegantly sized yet masculine nonetheless.

Such an example as my Rotary above is a rare finding, not only is it the "non-date" version which this happens to be only the 1st of 2 examples I have seen, but it is in very good condition. Very rare for a more affordable watch that people did indeed use and abuse. We see a similar trait in most skin divers from the 60s and that is why this somewhat under the radar example above remains my favourite.

Bezels are usually the most damaged part of the watch, as they are exposed and can knock and bump into things. So when I heard about the super compressors with internal bezels I knew I'd have to get one for my collection. Of course, Longines had their fantastic example, but is a watch that in the cosmetic conditions that I enjoy, I could unlikely afford, let alone locate. This is what led me to its 'cousin' the Wittnauer 8007 Super compressor, and my purchase after 2 years of searching.

IMG_0891.jpg

Coincidentally like the Rotary before it, I purchased in need of a service so it will be visiting the doctors soon! Nonetheless, when you find an example in such beautiful condition - I am quite happy to invest a little to make the 'perfect' watch.

As far as I can tell all parts are original apart from the crystal which should have a trapezoid cyclops. The bezel turns smoothly, the dial is immaculate and the "4 O'clock" crown pushes down to advance the date by one day - I have not seen this mechanism before and I like it!

All in all a beautiful watch, although one thing I did find odd was how the lume in the dial and hands is greenish, whilst that on the bezel is yellow. I have seen this on several other 8007s online, but I would have preferred them to all be the same tone.

I have seen similar examples by Bulova, Benros, Enicar, Lipp and of course Longines and recommend them to collectors. I am not sure which example is my favourite at this moment, but I did see a beautiful Bulova the other day, so it's probably between my one above and that one.

If anybody knows where I could get an original Wittnauer 8007 crystal with the cyclops, please let me know.

My next diver will probably be something with a blue dial... not got a blue dial in my collection yet :p

Ollie :)

Edited Apr 24, 2020
    bubba48 and loniscup like this.
  2. loniscup Apr 24, 2020

Beautiful catch, congratulations!! I really like the Sandoz too among the others you mentioned.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  3. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 25, 2020

Any idea of why the bezel lume could be a slightly different shade? Could it be that it was replaced at some time?

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 25, 2020

Different parts of the watch are mostly made by different subcontractors. No wonder if they don’t age same way ;)

5. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 25, 2020

That makes me feel a bit better haha - thank you :)

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2020

Also to add to @kov above, applied to different materials ie: dial being metal and bezel may be plastic.

Even with hands it’s common for them to look different as they are applied to a void with no backing, unlike the dial being a flat surface.

OllieOnTheRocks and kov like this.
  7. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 26, 2020

Thank you for the information! Good to know :)

What is people's opinion on the crystal? This one is surely wrong as there's no cyclops. Do you think it would be possible to get one, or if not an original one, an aftermarket one that would at least look the same? The one on it at the moment is serviceable, but it's flat at the bottom for about 2-3mm before it domes. The originals through my research were domed all the way to the case (see pic below).

I think if I can't find one with a cyclops I'll at least try and get one that is this shape as it will make the watch a little slimmer, and in my personal opinion I think these crystals looks much better.

[​IMG]

8. OllieOnTheRocks May 2, 2020

Anyone have any suggestions on crystal replacements, with cyclops?

9. TexOmega May 6, 2020

Get a precise measurement, and keep checking ebay, Wittnaur had a nationwide network for many many years, so if I can find(after 2-3 years) the factory, very thick crystals for an Enicar Super Jet and UltraDive , you should have any easy time :D.

Think of it has a treasury hunt.:thumbsup:

Good luck

I have a Rotary from early 1970's

6DA85655-3BF9-4220-B07B-094FDFFDAD9F.jpeg