Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1960s Wittnauer 8007 Super compressor dive watch

1. OllieOnTheRocks Jul 22, 2020

Continuing my journey to sell half of my collection - today I am offering my beautiful Wittnauer. The sibling to the famous Longines diver of the 60s this one is a beauty in its own right.

Only selling as I have a second super compressor and am trying to consolidate my collection so that I don't have any duplicates as it were...

IMG_4624.jpg

Dial: What can I say, for me this is the quintessential dive watch from the 60s (after the somewhat unattainable Longines 7042). Incredible legibility containing just a small amount of choice working on the dial - this watch is a true masterpiece. As can be seen in the pictures the dial is in remarkable condition. Generally when I buy watches for my personal collection, it is the dial that I always focus on - and as such this is a prime example of a watch I was very happy to buy - I would say blemish free, but please check photos to make sure you are happy as these form part of the description. There may well be dust inside the crystal, but I cannot see any scratches to the dial. All lame is in tact and glows for a couple of seconds before fading away. The bezel turns smoothly and is mesmerising strangely to watch as you turn it (see video towards the bottom of the advert).

IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg Movement / service history: The movement is one of the things that really make this watch both special and unique. I had never had a watch before that would advance the date with just the press of a crown, and this is exactly what this one does. You press the crown at 4 O'clock and the date advances. It is reliable and satisfying, this is great engineering and a lovely little feature in this watch. The watch was last serviced in 2013, for which I can provide a receipt, however I have not tested it for accuracy since then. It appears to be working well however, I have noticed that whilst it is very reliable on hand winding it can stop if you rely just on the automatic rotor movement. I would therefore recommend a service if this is important to you. I never bothered as this is part of a large rotation, so hand winding in the morning is only natural to me.

IMG_4632.jpg IMG_4631.jpg IMG_4630.jpg IMG_4629.jpg
    Case: This watch is great for collectors because the case is so honest and sharp. The buzzword here - unpolished! There are a few scratches here and there but overall it's very good as far as I am concerned. I believe the crystal has been replaced but it appears to be in good condition. Both original cross hatched crowns are present too! It measured 36mm wide (without the crown).

Strap / buckle: Please ignore the nato, I have decided to keep this for my other super compressor - instead I will ship on a tropic style black rubber strap with unsigned buckle.

IMG_8224.jpg
    Box / Papers: Wittnauer box, in lovely condition as pictured although I'm not certain it is original to the watch. After a google search I have seen other examples of this model sell with this box, but there isn't conclusive evidence. It is nonetheless a beautiful box that I believe at the very least to be time correct and perfect for storing this beautiful watch.

Price: £1600 (Would like to get back what it costs me but I'm open to offers for a quick sell - don't be shy, knock me down!)

Feedback: Four sales so far on here and three satisfied buyers:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/excellent-experience-buying-from-ollieontherocks.117036/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ollieontherocks-is-a-great-seller.116885/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ollieontherocks-is-an-excellent-seller.117015/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ollieontherocks-excellent-seller.120745/#post-1616260

I also have over 300 positive Ebay feedback and amazon feedback.

Thank you omega forums for the platform to sell, I hope someone likes the watch it’s a fantastic piece that in my opinion is an example of a great vintage diver to have in your collection!

Edit: I always think a video helps show off a watch in its best light so I took this video:

https://imgur.com/7BU7A3h

*Sold as seen - pictures contribute to description
    *No returns

Edited Oct 5, 2020
    Benbradstock, kip595, Gefa and 8 others like this.
  2. OllieOnTheRocks Jul 29, 2020

BUMP - Please don't be shy to make an offer! Trying to consolidate my collection so am a little flexible! :D

3. OllieOnTheRocks Aug 3, 2020

Reduced £1400, ONO

Mr.Bliss, Lonestar and rootbeer7 like this.
  4. OllieOnTheRocks Aug 24, 2020

Bump

5. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 21, 2020

Bump

rootbeer7 likes this.
  6. OllieOnTheRocks Sep 24, 2020

Reduced £1350.

7. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 4, 2020

£1300

8. Benbradstock Oct 4, 2020

Beautiful watch, the dial is fully original and unmolested, including the lume?

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  9. OllieOnTheRocks Oct 4, 2020

I believe so yes :)

Sometime ago I made a post about this watch on here and they said the difference in colour of the lume on the dial to the bezel is due to different materials that the lume was attached to as it were.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. Benbradstock Oct 4, 2020

Got it, thank you.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  11. Aquariusmatic Oct 5, 2020

That's 100% true, the only super compressor watch I that i've had and have seen a match between the bezel and the lume on the hands and the dial was the Bulova Super Compressor.

Edited Oct 5, 2020