Forums Latest Members

SOLD Wittnauer 800 Chronograph from the 1950s, the mother of the 235T

1. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 12, 2021

For sale comes the very first generation of the valjoux 72 powered Wittnauer chronographs, predecessor of the famous 235T which was given by Wittnauer to NASA for their space qualification program in 1964.

IMG_7215.jpg

So what do we have here? This particular reference has a very own 'solo' dial signed Wittnauer without any additional writings. Note the dial also has a SWISS mention at 6h without the T's.

IMG_7183.jpg IMG_7184.jpg IMG_7186.jpg IMG_7187.jpg

The dial has some marks and scratches. Yep, it's an almost 70 years old watch that had a life. The blue hour and minute hands are superb, luminous material on the hands and numerals original and still intact. Behaves as should under UV light : glows and fades very quickly.

IMG_7212.jpg IMG_7203.jpg IMG_7205.jpg IMG_7193.jpg IMG_7189.jpg IMG_7188.jpg

That 36mm case is specific to this reference and it is great. Its curved and faceted lugs are really beautiful and sit perfectly on the wrist. It's been worn, including by myself, so there are some very light traces of wear but no dings or heavy scratches. The caseback is also in a great condition, with some signs of wear - correct reference and serial engraved inside. All the other variations of this watch down to the 235T have a different case (with straight lugs) and a different caseback.

IMG_7194.jpg IMG_7191.jpg IMG_7192.jpg

The movement is super clean. Although it runs perfectly and keeps good time, its service history is unknown to me. Please note that it's a vintage watch and its water resistance was not tested and is not guaranteed. The buyer has to be aware of that and wear the watch with that in mind.

Finally, the watch comes on its original Wittnauer vintage leather strap with a (not signed) stainless steel buckle.

To recap :

- First generation, cool story related to the 235T and the space qualification program
    - Valjoux 22 movement
    - Original Wittnauer leather strap

What you see is what you get.

Terms and conditions :
    I am a private collector and will set the post OHPF after getting the first PM saying "I will buy this watch at your price".

2900 CHF wired to my Swiss bank account for a local sale in Switzerland.

Alternatively, 3400 USD / 2800 EUR / 2450 GBP wired directly to my Transferwise or Revolut accounts for a sale abroad. Fully insured shipping from Switzerland to wherever Fedex can deliver, included.

Returns are accepted only if grossly misrepresented. You will get what you see in these pictures which are of a decent quality, unedited and high resolution, so I don't believe there is any chance of misrepresentation. Feel free to ask for special details or angles you want to see better, prior buying.

References : by searching the 'seller profiles & review' sub forum
    100% positive feedbacks here as well as other platforms - can link with happy buyers worldwide, on request.

Thanks to OF for the space. :thumbsup:

Edited Feb 19, 2021
    Woops, DRjre086, inchpincher and 13 others like this.
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 19, 2021

SOLD elsewhere.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.