Forums Latest Members
  1. Arnie68 Jun 26, 2020

Hello to all of you. I am new to this forum, I am from The Netherlands and since last Saturday the proud owner of a new Speedmaster Moonwatch with hesalite and 1861 movement.
    Maybe this question is asked before but as I said I am a noob to both this forum and the Speedmaster, so my apologies for that.
    Of course I know it is a manual winding movement, but I can't really figure out how to wind it properly. At a certain point I feel more resistance when winding, and it feels like the crown wants to wind back. Should I wind even further then through the resistance or just stop winding like I did, because I don't want to break it.
    Yesterday my watch stopped running after just 14 hours.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Omegafanman likes this.
  2. rootbeer7 Jun 26, 2020

Keep going until you feel it won’t go further. You’ll know when it’s fully wound. They are buggers to wind up (as discussed many times), but all is forgiven once on the wrist.

83n likes this.
  3. Dor_42 Jun 26, 2020

Hello and welcome!
    Congrats on your new watch! I see that you posted both in Modern Omega Watches and in Open Discussion, please try to avoid doing that in the future - the mods will appreciate it.

Regarding your problem-
    Nothing about a watch should be done with applied force! If it's not winding smooth something might be causing it not to.
    Did you buy it brand new? Where did you buy it from? If it's new go back to where you purchased it and ask them to take a look.
    If you bought it online try locating an Omega AD and go see them.
    If the watch is pre owned maybe it's time for a service.

Also, make it a habit to remove it from your wrist while winding.
    It will put less stress on the mechanism and will lengthen the life of the movement.

4. Arnie68 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you for your advise.
    Regarding the issue; the watch is winding smoothly, and also keeping good time. I only feel resistance at a certain point and I am not sure if it is okay to wind it any further. That is the issue.
    Yes I bought it brand new from an AD.

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 26, 2020

How many winds did You give... should be easily 40 turns...

vbrad26 likes this.
  6. vbrad26 Jun 26, 2020

Yeah from totally dead to fully wound should be about 40-50 turns depending on how big your turns are.

7. Pun Jun 26, 2020

I faced similar dilemma many years back with my first new Speedmaster Moonwatch.

Please keep winding till you can't do any further. It'll be okay. Initially you will feel some resistance and that's okay with a new watch. I faced similar situation and got advice to wind it till it stopped turning at all. After few weeks it'll be much smoother and effortless exercise.

Wear your modern classic in good health.

kelsey and Duckie like this.
  8. Dan S Jun 26, 2020

Use a pair of these to get a good grip on the crown, and keep winding until something falls off.

[​IMG]

9. Duckie Jun 26, 2020

Precisely:thumbsup:
    There will be a period where the mechanism is breaking in.
    In my personal experience the most noticeable changes on any watch I have ever owned was the manual winding feel of my brand new Speedy Pro.
    If I recall correctly, it took a few weeks(winding every day) before it totally smoothed out to become rather sublime:)

Pun likes this.
  10. 83n Jun 26, 2020

While this is absolutely true winding the Moonwatch can feel off when compared to other watches.

What OP describes sounds normal to me. The crown does start to turn back a bit after some turns.

Well, you have to earn yourself the right to wear it each morning by pain and sweat while winding it - but for me it is worth it ;)

Dor_42 likes this.
  11. killer67 Jun 26, 2020

Is it new? If so it might settle after you break it in

12. Pun Jun 27, 2020

A demo video on your Speedy would be of great help to OP...

4011021, Fedev and s2000_driver like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 27, 2020

Myth
    That’s been written many times on the internet so people begin to believe it.

Just wind it until you can’t anymore. ( it will turn back for a few months from new )

14. rainking Jun 27, 2020

How many threads about the same topic can be on one forum LOL

15. Dor_42 Jun 27, 2020

Well, the first time I heard about this was here in OF...
    Did anyone ever try to actually measure the pressure difference between winding on the wrist and off of it?

Edited Jun 27, 2020
  16. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 27, 2020

Did anyone ever say there was a difference to measure?
    If the speedmaster had a screw in crown I would tend to agree with you, but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 27, 2020

If you can’t bend your wrist you can see there is no pressure on the stem.

Quoted Jim from this thread as my quote has a touch more colourful comment.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/winding-on-wrist-harmful.114292/#post-1518510

Dor_42 likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 27, 2020

Dor_42 and Martin_J_N like this.
  19. Arnie68 Jul 14, 2020

Guys, problem solved; after a winding my Speedy a couple of weeks with the "spring back crown" feeling, I do now hit "the wall". It will simply not go any further when winding, it just stops.
    Thank you for all your replies and advices.

Pun likes this.
  20. Peter_from_NL Jul 14, 2020

Isn’t this BS about the power reserve when the chrono is running? Anybody did a real test on this?