Forums Latest Members
  1. Cfcboy May 21, 2016

I have a new seamaster. Can anyone recommend a cost effective winder for this model please ?

2. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. May 21, 2016

3. victorngzh May 21, 2016

I am a bit unsure but form what i've read and asked around, to my knowledge, watch winders might not be such a good choice since it just causes servicings to be more frequent due to the wear, but im not really very sure

4. Cfcboy May 21, 2016

I believe I have a 2500d movement.

Firstly, how do I know for sure?

Secondly, is there a specific winder good for that movement ?

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 21, 2016

Go to the orbita website for winding specs. I've stopped using my winders. Probably will sell them.

6. uvalaw2005 May 21, 2016

Is it the SMPc in your profile pic? If so, I believe those were only made with the 2500d movement.

I previously answered your question here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-professional.38080/

7. Cfcboy May 21, 2016

Thoughts on the Wolf heritage winder ?

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 21, 2016

Bought a Wolf Viceroy, not cheap, and returned it as it wouldn't keep my Rolex Sub running. This was not due to the watch as it kept a 40+ hour power reserve and as long as I ware it every day it keeps perfect time. I've been told there is no such thing as a "cost" effective winder :( I've also been told the best way to keep an automatic movement wound is to wear it ;)

uvalaw2005 likes this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy May 21, 2016

On a budget, you can get a nice reliable basic Wolf winder from Amazon for under $100 (made for Amazon by Wolf) or a Kendall dual winder with piano gloss wood finish for $50 on Amazon, that I've used for 3 years with no noise or issues. Well, I have three and I messed one up changing watches while it was moving, so the fault is mine. The cheap Versa and Diplomat winders I've bought in the past all died or got very noisy.

10. Cfcboy May 21, 2016

Do they offer 800tpn bi directional ?

Cheers

11. larryganz The cable guy May 24, 2016

I'm guessing the ones I mentioned are 900 TPD bidirectional.

12. Cfcboy May 24, 2016

Anyone have ideas of a 800 TPD bidirectional winder ?

13. karalhoin May 24, 2016

The Temotus looks great and is fairly cheap.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winder-Temotus-Single-Automatic-Wristwatch/dp/B012WJT0SY
    http://www.amazon.com/Temotus-Quality-Programs-650-1500TPD-Japanese/product-reviews/B012WJT0SY

I'm using it only with a TAG Aquaracer and the Omega DSOTM, no problems with any of the two, they wind up enough even in the lowest 650 TPD setting.

650-1550 TPD configurable, bidirectional, sleep mode during the night... I'm happy with mine so far, except for being a real fingerprint magnet. Also, they're only 100% quiet during the first days... now it's nosier, but it's still a very low-constant hum. Barely audible.

Plus I have it shutting down during the night and it automatically comes back to life around the time I'm getting up for work.

20160428_193242.jpg
  14. Cfcboy May 24, 2016

15. karalhoin May 24, 2016

The Temotus has 4 speed settings, which can then be used in any three modes (left / right / bidirectional)

There is no 800 TPD setting, but I'm not sure why you'd need that specific number. In my two watches (Sellita SW200 and Omega 9300 movements) the 650 TPD setting is enough to keep them running, but 950 is also fine.

The last mode is a quick-wind feature for watches that are fully out of power reserve. It runs for 60 minutes and the manual says it will fully charge most watches in less than an hour.

I checked the Time Tutelary ones too (they are sold under many different names, seems to be a generic chinese model). They seem OK and many people are happy with them. I went with the Temotus mostly because the documentation looked a lot more professional (always a good sign) and it's been on the market for quite some time in the same design. They state that they can supply spare parts and there's no need to trash the whole winder if something breaks - of course I haven't confirmed this, but maybe some Amazon reviewers did.

Other things I liked was that it has the sleep mode (no worries with any noise during the night even if the motor develops any noises, since it only winds during the day), it has no LED (same reason) and it uses a japanese direct drive motor (in theory more reliable than belt-driven mechanisms, but only time will tell. A few of the other cheapos also use them).

16. Cfcboy May 26, 2016

Hi,

I have just heard on forums that you should get a winder that matches the database on orbita database. My model on the database states bi directional -800 tpd.

17. karalhoin May 26, 2016

It's a good idea to follow recommended specs, but I don't think it will make any difference if you set it to 950. In fact, if it keeps well winded with 650, that will be even better. But maybe others well versed in the tech aspects can comment more. @Archer perhaps.

Edited May 27, 2016
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2016

Ideally a winder should be set to maintain the state of wind, not increase it. If the winder you use is set to a higher TPD than needed to keep the watch wound, it's just adding unnecessary wear.

Cheers, Al

19. Cfcboy May 27, 2016

And what if it's lower? It seems hard to find a 800 tpd ? If it's a bi directional one does that mean 400 each way in a day ? I've hear they too low and too high can cause problems?

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2016

If you don;t get enough TPD the watch will self destruct for sure...or maybe just not stay wound. I'll let you decide which is more likely...