Forums Latest Members

Will Ebay come thru for me? (Non watch purchase)

1. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

I'll be the first to stand up and bash ebay since I've been taken for a ride more times than I care to say. I've even told myself I would never use that platform ever again which lasted about 6 or 7 years now. Well today I broke my own code :D

So after some time without finding this certain electronics item made by Microsoft, I came across a "brand new" one on ebay today and pulled the trigger. Microsoft updated this item with a new version but I prefer the original. I tried to cover my bases by messaging the seller asking if it were unopened and unused.

Seller replied it was in fact factory sealed and never used.

Only selling because receipt was lost and couldn't return it.

Seller only has 4 transactions under his/her belt

Member since 2015

I'm taking bets, will this transaction leave me even more bitter about Ebay or will I actually come out unscathed?

Update

I recieved the package and it was delivered fast, and factory sealed as described, when I asked via email. Great communication from the seller as well. After years of hating ebay I must say this really helped me like it a little more. I'm still sceptical though Haha.

Edited Mar 5, 2020
    GordanDaniel likes this.
  2. Rumar89 Feb 22, 2020

For all the times I’ve been scammed on eBay, and it’s more than once, they have never failed to give me a refund (knock on wood). And without a doubt, the best watch scores I’ve ever made have been on the platform. So, while some of the sellers may be $&@! I love the service.

Are electronic scammers an epidemic to the same extent as they can be in the watch world?

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. killer67 Feb 22, 2020

Buyer protection is your friend if you have any problems

4. Partagas Feb 22, 2020

I can tolerate the buying risk there...to a point. The selling hassle is beyond what I'm willing to endure!

Good luck with your purchase!

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

If this was a "me selling" situation then I wouldnt have broke me own no ebay rule Haha.

6. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

I'm sure every genre of hobby has their own scammers on ebay. In this case here I'm thinking the worst case scenario is that item really isn't new but packaged back up and put into the original box. That's why I wanted to play it safe and ask first so it's on record.

7. GordanDaniel Feb 22, 2020

THIS is the content im here for

8. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

Place your bets

9. timecube Feb 22, 2020

That might be a bad case, but I can think of a worse case

[​IMG]
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/must-read-scammer-got-played.109568/

DaveK likes this.
  10. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

Yeah I followed that thread and patiently waited for the updates ::popcorn::

11. asrnj77 Feb 22, 2020

I think the risk level goes hand in hand with what you’re attempting to purchase:

1) AP Royal Oak 15300 for $5,000?
    2) NOS Ed White

versus

1) Unopened can opener for $10
    2) “I love Las Vegas” refrigerator magnet

I don’t know the details of your attempted purchase but most modern stores are able to give store credit even when you don’t have the receipt because they have a history of the purchase electronically. Maybe they wouldn’t give him any credit or cash or maybe it “fell off the back of a truck” ;)

12. BradleyJ. Feb 22, 2020

Well msrp when these were available was only 150. He wants 160 to cover cost and shipping so price isn't a red flag.

13. Impgreene Feb 23, 2020

You can have triple level protection on eBay …………. pay on eBay using Paypal, and link Paypal to your credit card.

If you get ripped off first you file a claim with eBay, then if it doesn't work you go to Paypal, and if that doesn't work finally you go to your credit card company.

The latter (credit card) always works in the scenarios I have encountered - they will probably make you sign something to say your version of events is correct (i.e. if you are lying you are committing fraud) and then it works out - truth is that their insurers will probably be footing the bill anyway (and not the credit card provider), so as long as you are willing to put yourself on the line and sign something that has proper legal risk for you (i.e. you would have committed fraud in writing) and it's a small'ish amount (i.e. their hassle of dealing with the claim is high), you should be ok.

All a hassle though …………….. only had it happen a couple of times, but always got their in the end.