Forums Latest Members

So sick of paypal... (non watch story)

1. djmusicman Aug 24, 2015

I commented on a post before about how you should be careful about who you accept a paypal payment from. Last week I sold a guitar on ebay, the description was meticulously accurate. I took the pictures with a pro camera that i borrowed from a friend. I sent the guitar extremely well packed, in a hard flight case made for a guitar inside a cardboard box filled with bubble wrap.

Today I get an email from the buyer saying that I sent him a damaged guitar that is unplayable. This is just not possible. Why wait 1 week to inform me? Why was no damage reported to the delivery man so that an insurance claim could be made? For damage to get all the way through to the guitar the cardboard box would have looked destroyed. I am guessing the buyer wants to swap the guitar with a different damaged guitar and send it back to me for a full refund on paypal.

There is just no protection for sellers against this kind of thing. I guess the fact that i have 100% feedback as a seller since 2002 won't come into consideration. Very frustrating, i'm done with ebay and paypal.

3 Cropped.jpg
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 24, 2015

Sorry to hear about this DJ. That's a tragedy. I hope it works out in some way for you.

djmusicman likes this.
  3. redpcar Aug 24, 2015

I've had similar problems where the buyer clearly has remorse. Did they send you a pic of the damage? Unwritten rule with ebay is the buyer always wins. I've learned to live with it due to the extreme amount of views and the prices that my watches get. Take it in stride. Some people always return items. My wife, for example, buys 4 outfits and returns 3. Drives me crazy.

TexasKevin and djmusicman like this.
  4. redpcar Aug 24, 2015

...........oh, I forgot, block the buyer.

djmusicman likes this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 24, 2015

does your guitar have a serial number? do you have a pic of the s.n.?

that should be helping,right?

luck,Al

Archer, WatchVaultNYC and djmusicman like this.
  6. djmusicman Aug 24, 2015

I've asked for pictures of the damage, no reply as yet. The guitar does have a serial number and I have pictures of it. It does seem like a case of buyer remorse. As I didn't accept returns through ebay it seems that the buyer has resorted to this in order to force a return. That in itself would not be the end of the world, i could relist and sell to someone else. What worries me is that the seller will probably have to prove that there is damage. So, how far would the buyer go to get a refund, maybe damage a perfectly good guitar? I'm hoping he'll give it up. It is all very disappointing, considering the time and effort I put into describing the guitar, taking the pictures, answering questions.

7. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2015

Is that a Harmony?

8. redpcar Aug 24, 2015

There is always fear that you will inspire the need to damage. Probably not cheap to ship. Buyer is supposed to pay for return shipping but this might be trouble, too, as they may choose a shoddy method and drop it in an envelope. I would wait for their reply then try to get it back as quickly and safely as possible.

9. wsfarrell Aug 24, 2015

I've been buying on eBay for many years. Stories like this make me think I'm never going to sell.

ron n and kov like this.
  10. djmusicman Aug 24, 2015

This is a Spanish made guitar by Alhambra, it retails around £1000 and I sold for half that. By the way, according to ebay I will be responsible for the return shipping cost too. That's just another perk you get when you are a seller.

11. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2015

eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS. eBay SUCKS.

djmusicman likes this.
  12. Wongo Aug 24, 2015

Hate c::censored::ts like that. They are the next level below scammers.

13. marturx Aug 25, 2015

Not only will you have to pay for the return shipping, if it's a case open, and eBay rules in favour of the buyer, which they most certainly will, whatever the facts, you won't get the eBay and PayPal fees credited. In total it's 14%

14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 25, 2015

Shit like this drives me fcuking wild.

You get screwed 6 ways to Sunday. Shipping fee's, your time, sellers fees etc., etc. The "buyer" will damage your item further just to support their claim and ship it back to you the cheapest way possible.

The cherry on top is you get stuck with a worthless item which wasn't worthless when it left your possession...

I had a friend who had a similar situation present itself to him and the delivery outfit for the return left the item on his doorstep. Or so they claimed, if you catch my drift. Advantage: seller.

But, this sort of scenario would leave you in a morally confusing place - I'm not advising you what to do, just offering a possible scenario where you can stick it right back at 'em, IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT.

***Edit. WAIT: when did ebay start making seller pay for returns? That was always the only real protection sellers had against flakes...

Edited Aug 25, 2015
  15. genghis khan Aug 25, 2015

Exactly the reason why i do not sell on ebay any more. If i do decide to list something, i will only accept bank checks from buyers or the occasional PP gift (if the buyer agrees) It definitely limits the purchasing audience but also helps to weed out the worldwide assholes who make up stories simply because they've changed their mind after a good night's sleep. The entire 'ebay experience' from no negative feedback to return policy is catered to generate revenue (repeat business) from buyers more than sellers. Sorry you have to go through this. It sucks when you put so much effort into listing an item only to see it washed away by someone with a happy index finger. Hope things work out in your favor. Regards. -Khurram

dennisthemenace and djmusicman like this.
  16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 25, 2015

I (((love))) your Omega forums name lol. It was one of my two nicknames from school (I was a "frat boy")

So, one was "Genghis!" and the other was "Buster Brown" (which was my pledge name).

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. genghis khan Aug 25, 2015

Thanks. Its wasn't easy growing up nicknamed after the Mongolian Emperor but overall had its advantages. ;-)

citizenrich likes this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Aug 25, 2015

What you do is don't tell the buyer you have pix of the serial number, and see what happens.

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 25, 2015

and make sure you leave a papertrail of everything you do... might be small things that can tip the scale in your favour.

20. saturn1981 Aug 26, 2015

Ebay changes their rules a month ago. They hiked up the selling prices. I agreed with ulackfocus ebay sucks!!!!