Why I chose the X-33 Marstimer as my first Omega

I pulled the trigger on the Marstimer about 2 months ago and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

As a member of the space industry, I'm no stranger to the intrigue and draw of the original SMP - it's a beautiful timepiece that certainly deserves its place in the annals of horological history. However, just as we looked to the future as a source of imagination and inspiration when we chose to go to the moon and do the other things, the ST 145.012 was selected first and foremost as a tool-watch to satisfy a niche requirement to enable man's realization of that future. So while homages to the original through design, be it a sedna gold case or a meteorite face has its place, the Marstimer pays homage instead through purpose and intent. To me, that means more than a color or material change.

While we may acknowledge that the horological world may advance at a glacial pace, contrary to the nth iteration of the SMP, space exploration didn't simply stop in 1969. The X-33 is today's SMP in that all current American/European astronauts are issued the watch prior to a launch. This family of instruments are what is currently on the wrists of men and women that are currently overhead, traveling at over 28,000 km/h, pushing the envelope that Neil and Buzz so captivated the world with over half a century ago. More specifically, the Marstimer was purpose built as an instrument to enable space professionals to (remotely) explore a even further world. In this generation, that new world happens to one, possess a different day cycle than earth, and two, has no magnetic field to provide a directional bearing. The former is important because every one of our remote explorers rely on the sun, whether it's power or electro-optical sensors to monitor and collect pictures. And with your sun-rise/set times changing every day, keeping track with 24-hr watches becomes a daily chore. With the latter, it's my opinion that the inclusion is because timing and direction enable one of the first principles of exploration; dead reckoning. It's in this spirit, I think, that Omega used the equation of time to calculate true North based solely on the sun, and your lat/long. If that's not enough to convince you of the bona fides of this watch, check out the flight qualifications on pg49 at the end of the extended manual.

So whether you're working on the next mission to Mars, paying homage to today's space exploration professionals, or simply want to have an 80db alarm that will repeat at the 47th minute and 17 seconds of the 16th hour on every Monday in UTC+8, maybe kicking the tires of this criminally underrated reference will light the fires of your imagination of what's possible tomorrow.

Per aspera, ad astra.
Edited:

Well I read that and I understand bugger all of it........just as well I have absolutely no intention of going into space!
But I think the watch is way cool!

Can it be used outside the suit during a spacewalk/repair as the "Speedmaster" was?

But what about Mowing, Blowing, Diving?😉
Blowing? do you mean like....could you suck on this, I think it's blocked!

Welcome to OF. Great watch, but sadly to big for me 🙁.

I think that's an awesome choice for a first Omega. There are so many things about that watch that I find interesting and attractive...beginning with the bezel colour. Congratulations!

Cool first Omega 👍

Would love one myself but the buttons on the side scare my brain.
I looked at the instructions once 😕 😗

Can it be used outside the suit during a spacewalk/repair as the "Speedmaster" was?

Looks like it has! (At least its predecessor, another X-33)
x33_moonwatchuniverse_01-jpg.1482139

https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-ultimate-omega-speedmaster-x-33-guide-—-all-four-generations.150851/
Edited:

Welcome to OF. Great watch, but sadly to big for me 🙁.

FWIW I have a 6.5" wrist and it feels great for me!

Awesome watch and great choice! Will be fascinating to see if this model is on the wrists of the crew when eventually boots are put on the martian surface. I imagine Omega are very keen to be involved.

Awesome watch and great choice! Will be fascinating to see if this model is on the wrists of the crew when eventually boots are put on the martian surface. I imagine Omega are very keen to be involved.

"if" , my faith in Spacex is dwindling, give the project back to NASA. And put Omegas on the astronauts wrists.

I've been trying to find one of these to look at. My last trip to the San Francisco boutique the sales person didn't even know what it was!

The one negative I have heard is that battery replacement is not straightforward, i.e. needs to be sent to Omega.

I've been trying to find one of these to look at. My last trip to the San Francisco boutique the sales person didn't even know what it was!

The one negative I have heard is that battery replacement is not straightforward, i.e. needs to be sent to Omega.

1st point, what a shit sales person, they should have an idea about what they sell, or they won't sell much!
2nd, that would depend upon the capability of the battery installer... some people have a natural mechanical aptitude, others have mechanical ineptitude.
As for sending it to Omega.....that would take so long the bloody battery would already be flat by the time it you got it back!
I'm sure any competent watchmaker could do it. Even a half way competent enthusiast should be able to

As much as I enjoy wearing the watch as-is, I think there are a couple of improvements that would make the watch even better - listed in increasing complexity:

- Differentiate the 12 o'clock marker on the bezel: Pretty self explanatory; sometimes it's hard to quickly tell at a glance where the 0/60 position is on the bezel since all four cardinal directions use the same marking.

- Change the count-up bezel to count-down (e.g. the Sinn 103): As functional as a traditional count-up bezel is, I think given the watch already has a chrono and timer, the only time you may want to use the bezel is for on the fly measurements. Sure, you can map both the chrono and timer to the top left pusher as the quick-function, but a chrono will always start at 0 vs different countdown events will always require setting/adjustment. So if you had the bezel as a count-down instead of count-up, you can have both functions quickly accessible/adjustable.

- Program the alarm feature to reference MET/PET: Right now, the timer will beep at 1 minute and every second for the last 5 seconds before expiration. It would be terrific if the alarm can be programmed to go off say.. every 30 minutes in reference to the MET or PET; instead of only Earth/Martian times.

- Add a photovoltaic layer to the face (even if it's not fully covered): Citizen in particular has pioneered this with their eco-drive; while it may not be sufficient to charge the watch indefinitely, it may at least prolong the interval between battery change (currently advertised to be around 2-5 years). If Omega is serious about building a watch for astronauts to take to Mars, having a watch that will last the whole mission plus margin, without battery change will be essential.

Photos for reference:

The Sinn 103 Ti Ar DiaPal: One of my favorite tool watches; it's got a column wheel chrono, second hour hand (that can be hidden), also in titanium, but includes some new technologies like an argon purged interior, an internal moisture absorber capsule (that little blue thing by the lug) plus a diamond pallet which is supposed to increase longevity/reliability even further. (Its older brother, the 140 has also gone to space)
iu
sin152s.jpg

Citizen Eco-Drive: Even with how busy this face is, plus two digital displays, plus alarms, plus radio controlled, this watch is able to be powered entirely by the ambient light.. at around $500 USD or less
iu

As much as I enjoy wearing the watch as-is, I think there are a couple of improvements that would make the watch even better - listed in increasing complexity:

- Differentiate the 12 o'clock marker on the bezel: Pretty self explanatory; sometimes it's hard to quickly tell at a glance where the 0/60 position is on the bezel since all four cardinal directions use the same marking.

- Change the count-up bezel to count-down (e.g. the Sinn 103): As functional as a traditional count-up bezel is, I think given the watch already has a chrono and timer, the only time you may want to use the bezel is for on the fly measurements. Sure, you can map both the chrono and timer to the top left pusher as the quick-function, but a chrono will always start at 0 vs different countdown events will always require setting/adjustment. So if you had the bezel as a count-down instead of count-up, you can have both functions quickly accessible/adjustable.

- Program the alarm feature to reference MET/PET: Right now, the timer will beep at 1 minute and every second for the last 5 seconds before expiration. It would be terrific if the alarm can be programmed to go off say.. every 30 minutes in reference to the MET or PET; instead of only Earth/Martian times.

- Add a photovoltaic layer to the face (even if it's not fully covered): Citizen in particular has pioneered this with their eco-drive; while it may not be sufficient to charge the watch indefinitely, it may at least prolong the interval between battery change (currently advertised to be around 2-5 years). If Omega is serious about building a watch for astronauts to take to Mars, having a watch that will last the whole mission plus margin, without battery change will be essential.

Photos for reference:

The Sinn 103 Ti Ar DiaPal: One of my favorite tool watches; it's got a column wheel chrono, second hour hand (that can be hidden), also in titanium, but includes some new technologies like an argon purged interior, an internal moisture absorber capsule (that little blue thing by the lug) plus a diamond pallet which is supposed to increase longevity/reliability even further. (Its older brother, the 140 has also gone to space)
iu
sin152s.jpg

Citizen Eco-Drive: Even with how busy this face is, plus two digital displays, plus alarms, plus radio controlled, this watch is able to be powered entirely by the ambient light.. at around $500 USD or less
iu
The battery doesn't have to last for the duration of the mission, when it stops, just send back to Omega to be replaced! 😁

I've been trying to see one of of these in person for a bit - none at the Bellevue OB, or Orlando OB when I have been at those locations.

The OB in Costa Mesa, CA had and X-33 Marstimer when I was there a few weeks ago, as well as one of the X-33 Solar Impulse limited editions, and I was able to try them on. It's a large watch but being Titanium the size didn't seem to be as much of an issue as I expected. On the NATO the Solar Impulse was pretty nice.

They said they have an X-33 Marstimer around 70% of the time, and suggested that if I had the Bellevue OB call them they could ship it up for me.

At the start of my career I had the good fortune to work on hardware that is still up there roving around on Mars, so the Marstimer has a personal connection for me. I purchased a 3861 Speedmaster Professional last year to mark a work milestone at my current job, Marstimer is next on my list.

Photos for reference:

iu
sin152s.jpg

iu
Good wright up!

About the photovoltaic layer; as Mars has lower illuminance the watch could be charged with artificial light. Or maybe a charging port is the way to go?

I know there isn`t any water on Mars yet (space god elon will fix that) but couldn`t The Speedmasters have as high WR as The Sinn And the Citizen.