Forums Latest Members

Why can’t I post in selling threads

1. Japanred Jul 4, 2019

Thought I had done when I first joined a couple of years ago. If not I’ll do it this weekend if I get time.

2. Japanred Jul 4, 2019

A lot of what I’ve seen so far has been negative if I’m honest. A lot of sarcastic comments on this thread when all I’ve done is ask a simple question. I also asked a question about the Apollo 11 50th anniversary future values and got shot down in flames by several long standing members. I’ve also seen someone getting abuse for flipping the aforementioned watch.

Shame as I bought my Snoopy Apollo XIII 45th anniversary watch from a member on here 3 years ago. He was extremely personable and likeable and we remain in contact to this day.

I’m a member of several car forums and never come across anything quite like this. Not sure what’s got everyone’s backs up but it’s coming across as an unwelcoming place....

Just my opinion of course.

Lovewatches2 and yande like this.
  3. KingCrouchy Jul 4, 2019

I think the negativity you felt has something to do with the trend of today, putting value and investments first when talking of watches. More and more people buy watches to flip them weeks later. The interest is only financially motivated. Collectors here on the forum care more about the history and horological aspects of watches. The corruption of their beloved hobby for the sake of profits, isn't therefore well seen. When you asked about future value and try to sell a watch later, you don't give the impression to care about what is at the heart of this hobby. I'm sure that if you ask about the history or watchmaking aspects of a watch, the Members on the Omegaforum will gladly help you.:thumbsup:

Mark020, UncleBuck, ext1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Martin_J_N Jul 4, 2019

OF members are very welcoming, I have had nothing but help and support when I have asked questions.

MikiJ, FlyingSnoopy and MTROIS like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 4, 2019

Which you knew, most of the angst is there was a thread 3 below yours with the exact same question and about 4 this week. ;)

We are a nice bunch, but how do I sell and how much profit is a watch going to make are a bit tedious that’s all.

Good job on the Avatar and show us a few watches now and all will be good :thumbsup:

6. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 4, 2019

I am sorry but I couldn't resist the temptation as this has been a really boring day but I have a really hard time seeing how you could make the sticky post about sales rules more obvious than posting it at the top of the goddamn watch sales sub-section and starting the post with "PLEASE READ".

But let us not quarrel. Now you know the sales rules and welcome to the forum. This is a great place even tough it can seem a bit harsh times. In my view a lot of the things said that can seem "unwelcoming" are done to protect the integrity of the forum. Perhaps it is sort of like the father of the girl you are going out with who is eyeballing you and fixing you with his gaze across the table first time you are invited to dinner to try to determine if you intentions with his daughter are honourable (have been in that situation myself :D)

I had been a member here for about 5 months when I flew to another country to meet a guy who had been so helpful and receive a watch I had bought from a seller near him and carry it halfway across the planet. I don't know many places where you have an item worth several thousand dollars sent to a complete stranger on pure trust alone. Now that is worth protecting and that is why I guess that this place can seem a little harsh at first, if people somehow, unwillingly, come off as someone who just want to sell something quickly without becoming an actual part of the forum :)

Otterina, WatchCor, UncleBuck and 5 others like this.
  7. kkt Jul 4, 2019

This Google search produced many times that this topic has been discussed before:

+omegaforums.net why can't i post for sale?

This isn't rocket science (or watch servicing).

8. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 4, 2019

100% this. Worth protecting because once it's gone, it's not coming back. And if you don't understanding this or if you're overly sensitive to what are admittedly sometimes harsh tactics, then it's probably not the place for you. OP, hopefully you'll stick around a bit and get a better feel for the forum.

UncleBuck and MTROIS like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 4, 2019

Please remember you may message any one of the Mods and ask questions anytime you wish.
    We have all the answers :rolleyes:.

10. FlyingSnoopy Jul 4, 2019

If I may suggest, and since all have been said, why not lock this thread. Hopefully japanred will have a fresh start in this forum which is friendly, entertaining and at times offers lots of knowledge
    Cheers

11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 5, 2019

Might I also suggest an exclamation mark after “PLEASE READ” in the sticky. That would make it much more noticible and definitely go a long way to prevent these questions in the future :D:D

12. Japanred Jul 5, 2019

Thanks and I appreciate and agree with all your comments. I can imagine that flipping watches is frowned upon. That being said, future values is an important topic to me and others. I have approx £40,000 worth of Omega watches but would never have bought them if values were expected to plummet. This is my choice and it doesn’t make me a flipper or in it to make money. I don’t think I’ll ever sell my Omega’s as it would be nice to hand them down to children. I’ve only ever sold one Omega and that was because I had already bought the exact same watch in a different size.

Just because I’m interested in future values doesn’t mean that I’m in it to make a profit or flip. I buy watches mainly because I like the stories and history behind them, moon/space watches in particular. I don’t think people should be so quick to criticise.

Lovewatches2, KingCrouchy and wagudc like this.
  13. Japanred Jul 5, 2019

Thank you much appreciated.

14. Japanred Jul 5, 2019

If this question has been asked so much then I’d suggest it’s a problem with the forum/sticky rather than all the users who can’t find the answer.

Lovewatches2 likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 5, 2019

I disagree.

The watch sales sub-forum layouts are clear and easily understood, even I can see them and understand them, and I'm a grumpy old man.

Are you accessing the site via a computer or a telephone?

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. Japanred Jul 5, 2019

iPhone. It’s 2019 ;)

Lovewatches2 and STANDY like this.
  17. Martin_J_N Jul 5, 2019

I'm a newbie here, only joined a few weeks ago but I have no issues finding the relevant post on my 2017 iPhone, so not sure what is wrong with your version of the iPhone. Maybe the issue is that some people cannot be bothered or don't want to spend time searching forums to do things properly, they just moan when they get pulled up.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 5, 2019

:D

Yep, I figured that out when I looked at my calendar hanging on the kitchen wall ;).

I don't use my phone to access the web, I hardly know where it is half the time, but on the rare occasions I have done it, I found it a real PITA compared to seeing things on a Macbook Pro 15".

I’m not a complete Luddite though, heres a pic I took yesterday with my “telephone”

Careful Spidey, it’s a jungle out there.

18AC284D-CA3A-443A-AAC7-2D8E2D7C2BF0.jpeg

I tried to warn you!

:(

EBD634DC-DB23-4551-A1E3-5B9B50A658FA.jpeg

19. Martin_J_N Jul 5, 2019

Awesome pictures :)

20. Japanred Jul 5, 2019

Maybe you’re right. Who knows?