Forums Latest Members

Whole new vintage LeCoultre. Or is it...

1. TimeODanaos Jun 30, 2020

I saw this for sale by a respectable (but not major-league) auction house. Nice case - it's D&A, 14Kt. The dial is aesthetically pleasing. But hold on...
    I spoke to the auction house for enlightenment about the vintage LeCoultre movement that both has small seconds and is automatic, but they didn't really answer that. No power reserve indicators... Oh, and, you guessed, they are unable to open the (standard JLC) caseback.
    Please, would anyone like to hand out some education? Or am I seeing things here? Thanks!
    LeCoultre supposed automatic.jpg

Bencherman likes this.
  2. timjohn Jun 30, 2020

Can't comment on the movement, but to me it looks like a more than averagely shabby redial

TimeODanaos likes this.
  3. TimeODanaos Jul 1, 2020

Didn't want to influence the jury, but you do have to wonder when the redialer freestyles to the extent of inventing a new calibre... ::puke::

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2020

Dan S likes this.
  5. TimeODanaos Jul 1, 2020

Cal 812 is a new one on me (I share my ignorance with Dr Ranfft, so not feeling too bad), so I couldn't be more grateful. But I even asked the lady to move it around a bit, to check if it was a bumper, sigh...
    I really am torn now - if bidding stays low, I might still be interested: that movement is just great. But how could the dial be rescued? Very happy to take advice from knowledgeable and experienced members.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2020

That dial cannot be “rescued”. It is either original or it is not. That one is not.

I think it is highly unlikely that you would find a redialler that would do a better job. If you can pick it up for cheap and can live with it as is, then go for it.

Otherwise, wait for another one with a proper dial. These are not particularly rare watches.

You can make an offer on this one:
    Vintage Le Coultre Automatic K812 Mens Watch St Steel RunsPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

gatorcpa

rolokr likes this.
  7. TimeODanaos Jul 1, 2020

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. The absolute key was finding out what's inside this thing, so now I can do all the usual comparisons. It does still really bug me that the auctioneer didn't have the info for me, to save me looking like a dork on here! Ironically, I had been avoiding this because I thought it was 100% wrong, but now I need to apply some different filters. I am indeed looking at a much lower price - it was only ever going to be an oo-shiny purchase rather than a collector piece. Wish I had $999 right now! Once again, thanks for bringing the knowledge.

Benbradstock likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2020

Seller is taking offers. You could get it for less, a lot less. It is not a $1,000 watch, neither is the 14K gold version you originally posted.

All they can do is say “no”.
    gatorcpa

TimeODanaos likes this.
  9. TimeODanaos Jul 1, 2020

[Edited to update with auction result]
    Took a last look at OP watch before deleting - hammered at over $1100, before about ?30% extras - well over twice what I would have considered. My CEO will be pleased. Still, that white paint is a shame! Didn't deter other folks, and as usual the house wins either way. Thanks again for telling me about P(K)812, never stops being good to learn. ::book::

Edited Jul 2, 2020
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 1, 2020

Here is one of my P812s in steel.

IMG_6772.JPG

kev1976t, rbob99, ELV web and 4 others like this.
  11. TimeODanaos Jul 1, 2020

Absolutely superb! - that's more what I like to find. Well, the years have been good to me, so who knows what lies ahead one day!

IDXM and Readiness77 like this.
  12. slwoodster Aug 23, 2020

what are some tell tale signs it's a re-dial?

13. TimeODanaos Aug 23, 2020

The OP picture isn't good enough to go into fine detail, but I think the bright but somehow flat white paint job was the main objection - contrast the warm tone of Gator's and XJR's examples.

Edited Aug 30, 2020