Who wants to predict the future for Vintage watches?

... Thoughts and predictions??

Well, not this.

It's turning into a classic thread, though. And shows the international pull of OF. Pretty cool.

Sheesh, hard marker…
I don’t really like the Beatles much at all, a few songs are ok, so where does that put me……in the sworn enemy category perhaps?
:D

I'm the same. Now there's two of us. :)

Three:D

Four

Five...

Like 1
My 30 something year old daughter has already informed me that she wants my Speedmaster and at least one other vintage Omega from my collection after I depart the Earth. In her words, “so part of you will always be with me.” I must have done something right as a parent. And women who wear Speedmasters are the coolest women on the planet. :cool:

…only to be out-cooled by women who wear Ranchero’s :whistling:
That will probably be her second choice after my Speedmaster.
IMG_5195.jpeg
Edited:

Like 2
I did it, and asked chatGPT:

Predicting the future of collecting vintage watches is speculative, but we can make some educated guesses based on current trends and factors that influence collecting in general:

1. Continued Popularity: Vintage watch collecting is likely to remain a popular hobby and investment. The appreciation for craftsmanship, history, and aesthetics associated with vintage watches is enduring.

2. Increased Online Activity: The online vintage watch market will continue to grow. Online marketplaces and auction platforms have made it easier for collectors to buy and sell vintage watches globally. This trend will likely continue, making it more accessible for enthusiasts.

3. Price Appreciation: Highly desirable and rare vintage watches will likely continue to appreciate in value. As with any collectible, scarcity and demand play a significant role in determining prices. Collectors should expect competition for the most sought-after pieces.

4. Focus on Originality: Authenticity and originality will remain crucial factors in determining the value of vintage watches. As more reproductions and fakes enter the market, collectors will become more diligent in verifying the provenance of their pieces.

5. Interest in Lesser-Known Brands: While brands like Rolex and Omega continue to be highly sought after, collectors may also develop an interest in lesser-known vintage watch brands, leading to increased diversity in collections.

6. Sustainability and Ethics: As environmental and ethical concerns continue to gain traction, some collectors may focus on vintage watches as a more sustainable and ethical alternative to buying new watches.

7. Rarity and Uniqueness: Collectors will always be on the lookout for rare and unique vintage watches. This includes limited-edition models, prototypes, and watches with historical significance.

8. Technology Integration: As technology advances, collectors may seek ways to integrate modern conveniences, such as smartwatch features or enhanced accuracy, into vintage watches while preserving their classic aesthetics.

9. Educational Resources: Access to information about vintage watches will continue to improve. Collectors will have more resources available to research and authenticate their timepieces.

10. Generational Shift: The demographics of vintage watch collectors may evolve as younger generations become more interested in this hobby. Their preferences and values may influence the types of watches that gain popularity.

11. Cultural Influences: Pop culture, fashion, and historical events can influence collecting trends. Certain movies, celebrities, or cultural moments may spark interest in specific vintage watches.

12. Regulations and Authentication: The vintage watch market may see increased regulations and authentication requirements to combat counterfeits and protect consumers.
It's important to note that the future of vintage watch collecting will depend on a multitude of factors, including economic conditions, societal trends, and technological advancements. While these predictions provide some insights, the evolution of this hobby will ultimately be shaped by the collectors themselves and their evolving tastes and interests.

3 / 3

Like 2
This thread is turning dark...
@Omega wu liked my post nothing can bother me now. My head is in the skies, I have a new BFF.

Like 3
@Omega wu liked my post nothing can bother me now. My head is in the skies, I have a new BFF.

Wait till he sees the brothers Grimm. That'll be the real test.

Like 1
"In fact, China is more open, democratic, and free of speech than any other country in the world."

At what point do the Mods stop this nonsense?

You missed the rim shot emoji. I think that post was intended for this thread:

upload_2023-8-22_13-52-28.png

I have worked closely with several Chinese people, some of the supporters of the CCP, but none would say that such nonsense with a straight face. Some have told me that speech and other restrictions are needed to keep order in such a densely populated country. I don't agree with them, but I can understand that perspective.

My apologies to the OP. It is a good idea for a thread, but we are so far off course now it is ridiculous.

Like 4
YSome have told me that speech and other restrictions are needed to keep order in such a densely populated country. I don't agree with them, but I can understand that perspective..
India has roughly the same population as China, with one-third of the land area.

Like 2
Five...

glad there songs are so short….it’s about all I can handle.

Six

Like 2
glad there songs are so short….it’s about all I can handle.

Six
Hell is Yellow Submarine on repeat. :whistling:

Like 1
Hell is Yellow Submarine on repeat. :whistling:
I’d like to dedicate this to the five who “don’t like the Beatles”
I mean the thread can’t get much worse I can’t see the harm but you need to realize life flows on within and without you. Also a big shout out to Wu

Like 2
I grew up in the '60s and '70s listening primarily to soul and funk, so I basically had little interest in the whole Rock & Roll genre. :D

But I do like this related joke!

magic9786.png

I’d like to dedicate this to the five who “don’t like the Beatles”
I mean the thread can’t get much worse I can’t see the harm but you need to realize life flows on within and without you. Also a big shout out to Wu
It’s six:D

Like 1
Interestingly, I just watched Yesterday the other night; a Danny Boyle movie about a struggling singer-songwriter who is in an accident and awakens into a world in which the Beatles never existed, but he remembers their songs. An imperfect but fun movie, with Ed Sheeran and Kate McKinnon in hilarious supporting roles.

It reminded me that they had some pretty good songs, especially their ballads. Many of the more up-tempo rock and roll songs feel very dated, obviously, but still nostalgic for me.

Edited:

Like 4
This thread undoubtedly proves that we are the masters of thread drift, from a discussion about the future of vintage watches to the merits of The Beatles with some foreign politics in the middle:D

Like 7