Who wants to predict the future for Vintage watches?

Someone say beetles
IMG_7688.jpeg

Like 1
I did it, and asked chatGPT:

Predicting the future of collecting vintage watches is speculative, but we can make some educated guesses based on current trends and factors that influence collecting in general:

1. Continued Popularity: Vintage watch collecting is likely to remain a popular hobby and investment. The appreciation for craftsmanship, history, and aesthetics associated with vintage watches is enduring.

2. Increased Online Activity: The online vintage watch market will continue to grow. Online marketplaces and auction platforms have made it easier for collectors to buy and sell vintage watches globally. This trend will likely continue, making it more accessible for enthusiasts.

3. Price Appreciation: Highly desirable and rare vintage watches will likely continue to appreciate in value. As with any collectible, scarcity and demand play a significant role in determining prices. Collectors should expect competition for the most sought-after pieces.

4. Focus on Originality: Authenticity and originality will remain crucial factors in determining the value of vintage watches. As more reproductions and fakes enter the market, collectors will become more diligent in verifying the provenance of their pieces.

5. Interest in Lesser-Known Brands: While brands like Rolex and Omega continue to be highly sought after, collectors may also develop an interest in lesser-known vintage watch brands, leading to increased diversity in collections.

6. Sustainability and Ethics: As environmental and ethical concerns continue to gain traction, some collectors may focus on vintage watches as a more sustainable and ethical alternative to buying new watches.

7. Rarity and Uniqueness: Collectors will always be on the lookout for rare and unique vintage watches. This includes limited-edition models, prototypes, and watches with historical significance.

8. Technology Integration: As technology advances, collectors may seek ways to integrate modern conveniences, such as smartwatch features or enhanced accuracy, into vintage watches while preserving their classic aesthetics.

9. Educational Resources: Access to information about vintage watches will continue to improve. Collectors will have more resources available to research and authenticate their timepieces.

10. Generational Shift: The demographics of vintage watch collectors may evolve as younger generations become more interested in this hobby. Their preferences and values may influence the types of watches that gain popularity.

11. Cultural Influences: Pop culture, fashion, and historical events can influence collecting trends. Certain movies, celebrities, or cultural moments may spark interest in specific vintage watches.

12. Regulations and Authentication: The vintage watch market may see increased regulations and authentication requirements to combat counterfeits and protect consumers.
It's important to note that the future of vintage watch collecting will depend on a multitude of factors, including economic conditions, societal trends, and technological advancements. While these predictions provide some insights, the evolution of this hobby will ultimately be shaped by the collectors themselves and their evolving tastes and interests.

3 / 3

A well organized, incredibly wordy piece that says absolutely nothing. I'm soooo looking forward to seeing more and more writing being done by "Cat, I farted" (thanks @eugeneandresson, I'm totally stealing that picture!).

Seriously, distinguishing between "authenticity" and "originality", that's just word bubbles. Technology integration into vintage watches, yea, I'm going to rip out all that old metal and plop some smartwatch functionality in, of course.

It really helps to remember that this so-called "artificial intelligence" is only good at creating texts that look plausible. There is no guiding intelligence in there, just heuristics - a language model, that's what it is. Impressive, sometimes, but leading nowhere.

Good to be made fun of, though.

(Talk about thread drift ... sorry that I contributed to that!)

Like 5
Vintage watches Very interesting!If you can repair it You will know the mystery behind it 。
today I Maintenance and repair a Glycine SST in 1970年。

Let's take a look Its internal structure。

微信图片_20230823165230.jpg 微信图片_20230823165231.jpg 微信图片_202308231652311.jpg 微信图片_20230823165234.jpg 微信图片_202308231652312.jpg 微信图片_20230823165232.jpg 微信图片_202308231652321.jpg 微信图片_202308231652322.jpg 微信图片_202308231652331.jpg 微信图片_202308231652332.jpg 微信图片_202308231652341.jpg abe4fa635379509aef4db0b7059a746.jpg 微信图片_20230823164911.jpg 微信图片_20230823164903.jpg f24f7c6e6ae9341b64cfb6db4cbbe3b.jpg

Like 2
Why not replace the springbar? ::confused2::

Vintage watches Very interesting!If you can repair it You will know the mystery behind it 。
today I Maintenance and repair a Glycine SST in 1970年。

Let's take a look Its internal structure。

微信图片_20230823164911.jpg

Like 3
Why not replace the springbar? ::confused2::

::facepalm1::The customer does not allow replacement :D

Carry forward the spirit of hard work and simplicity:p:p:p

Like 1
My 30 something year old daughter has already informed me that she wants my Speedmaster and at least one other vintage Omega from my collection after I depart the Earth. In her words, “so part of you will always be with me.” I must have done something right as a parent. And women who wear Speedmasters are the coolest women on the planet. :cool:
Yep. My girlfriend wears a speedy and I have one for my daughter who is now 13 years old.

Like 1
This is a wonderful thread. The images are wonderful and the variety welcomed.

This thread is turning dark...
It’s getting dark but it’s not there yet
With a Hard days night to follow

No 6 on the not a Beatles fan register

Not a big fan of the Stones or Dylan either- though both made some amazing music
The Beatles though… well, if I hailed from Norway, I wouldn’t have Norwegian…

Someone say Start me up

quote-either-he-s-dead-or-my-watch-has-stopped-groucho-marx-18-93-41.jpg

Any insights for a time poor fella ;)

A lot of Rolex discussion, particularly for Daytonas. They agreed that the market was insane. They think speculators are still sitting on their new watches, unwilling to take the loss. These same spec buyers aren't ever coming back. By the end of the year perhaps they will start to unload, further driving down new watches.

Good vintage is still good vintage. Using subs as an example, there were a lot of earlier reference subs available at decent prices. These sub prices have stabilized and increased. They haven't seen the same flight from vintage as they have for new watches. It's a good time for vintage collectors.

Pretty much what others are seeing. They didn't say whether or not they liked the Beatles or Stones.

Me? Don't have any Rolex, don't hate them but can't see ever wearing one. Don't not like the Beatles and Stones, but they're sooo played out. Even tired of Neil Young. Still love Tupelo Honey.

That's it from the No New News, news department.

Like 6
The Beatles and the Stones are both still esteemed in this house along with other classic rock acts and so are Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and other Classical composers. We never tire of hearing their work.

Current pop music? Modern symphonic compositions? I don't even want to know!

I appreciate vintage watches and their styling in the same way and won't be tiring of them. I am open to many vintage Rolex models and styling and can envision acquiring a vintage example or two.

I have not warmed to contemporary Rolex and and their current line up.

For me, it's more gratifying to wear vintage mechanical watches that seriously mattered in bygone times, from an earlier era when mechanical watches were the only wearable personal timekeeping accessory rather than an anachronistic whimsy among many timekeeping accessory options. Surviving vintage watches have a soul.

Like 7
Agreed re soul!
Even a perfect recreation of a classic vintage watch Doesn’t interest me
I’d much have the one that has lived a life

The Beatles and the Stones are both still esteemed in this house along with other classic rock acts and so are Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and other Classical composers. We never tire of hearing their work.

Current pop music? Modern symphonic compositions? I don't even want to know!

I appreciate vintage watches and their styling in the same way and won't be tiring of them. I am open to many vintage Rolex models and styling and can envision acquiring a vintage example or two.

I have not warmed to contemporary Rolex and and their current line up.

For me, it's more gratifying to wear vintage mechanical watches that seriously mattered in bygone times, from an earlier era when mechanical watches were the only wearable personal timekeeping accessory rather than an anachronistic whimsy among many timekeeping accessory options. Surviving vintage watches have a soul.

Like 3
It’s getting dark but it’s not there yet
With a Hard days night to follow

No 6 on the not a Beatles fan register

Not a big fan of the Stones or Dylan either- though both made some amazing music
The Beatles though… well, if I hailed from Norway, I wouldn’t have Norwegian…

Actually, you would be #7 on the list...

I watch a YT channel where a guy makes tables from wood slabs, and he's not a Beatles fan either. He occasionally inserts a jab at the band in his videos, and has said a few times that the most vitriolic comments he gets are from butt hurt Beatles fans. :D::screwloose::

Like 1
Well, I know that I am butt hurt! Right now, this minute!

It's from sitting here at the kitchen table though, drinking coffee while sitting on a hard chair rather than moving over into my comfy chair as I should have done an hour ago.

It's too late in life to gen up much ire over others' dislikes of one's personal likes.

On the other hand, Mrs. noelekal is still asleep and she would not like it if I crank "Helter Skelter" at full-on Armegeddon volume before she rises.

That would generate a whole world of hurt!

Like 2
I had a Beatles lunch box in school. My classmates would tell me their parents did not like the Beatles and would not allow them to have any Beatles merchandise or listen to that evil music. The Beatles have always been marmite.

I liked the Saturday morning cartoon, Which ironically was done with voice artists.

We would go to Berkley for Friday night dinners. I liked the Jefferson Areoplane backlight posters. We had one in the downstairs bathroom with bead curtain for years. Never really warmed to starship. I also liked Led Zeppelin. When I was in high school I brought in a cover band. Everyone then though was into Soul and disco.

The Stones of course are the Stones. A class by themselves. As was Bowie.

I remember when Elton John came on the scene. I though that was a here today gone tomorrow fad. That the Beatles were forever.

Then there was the early Queen Ironically I never really paid attention to the member of the group. But I would hum another one bites the dust every time I fixed a computer bug.

Ironically I also liked the film Xanadu (which reminds me of my senior High school year.) So went all ELO till the Blues Brothers came out and gave me an appreciation for elevator music.

Mostly though I listened to Broadway pop and Film scores. Used to keep the dial on the Highbrow classical station. Mostly because they did not have advertising.

My Uncle lived next door to one of the SF Opera choristers (who was with the company full time for decades -- what a job.) So I grew up with Opera as well. Mostly Mozart, with some Verdi and the occasional Wagner.

I do not think there is any music I do not have an appreciation for.

Like 2