Who wants to predict the future for Vintage watches?

As long as there are people who want to dispose of watches of Dad’s, Mom’s, Grandfather’s, Grandma’s, other family members, and watches they no longer want, there will be those who will want to buy them. There will always be people who only have a collection of two watches. A daily driver, and a sentimental one that belonged to a departed member of the family. I have been actively collecting since 1975 (just short of 50 years ago). There were other collectors then, there are collectors now, and there likely always will be. Those with deep pockets who follow current trends in new watches (my newest are my Speedmaster 345.0808, and my Rolex Date-Just, and they are both 22 years old), and bottom feeders like me, and many other types of collectors between the two extremes. Tastes change, financial circumstances change, what people collect will change, but people will continue to collect. Nobody in my family will have any use for my collection when I depart this mortal coil. I am certain there will be collectors waiting. Unless I am buried with my collection.

Like 7
eedc6726d9dbe94c8ea063ece20ab50bcddb9d50dd6140d6212c90c8f7260a8b.jpg

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand

I just had a watch encounter that could illustrate a bright future for vintage watches.

I just returned home from a physical therapy session for my dodgy shoulder. There are two young doctors who head up the facility. The one assigned to me is already enamored of all things Omega and has a Seamaster Aqua Terra with white dial. He admitted that a Speedmaster is on his want list after spying mine a few weeks ago. Today, he was excited to show me a new Tudor Ranger he just fetched back from a trip to San Diego.The other doctor is also into watches as well and scrutinized my Speedmaster that day.

Today I sported a 1948 Longines with 27M movement in its Longines produced 18kt rose gold case for the appointment. I wasn't expecting as much enthusiasm for the 75 year old watch. The doctors were both keen about the Longines brand, the charm about my watch being vintage, and the solid gold. They obviously approved. One spoke knowingly about Longines currently upping its game.

These guys are both likely younger than our 38 year old youngest son, yet embraced the notion of vintage watches as a daily wear choice.

Like 11
eedc6726d9dbe94c8ea063ece20ab50bcddb9d50dd6140d6212c90c8f7260a8b.jpg

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand

I just had a watch encounter that could illustrate a bright future for vintage.

I just returned home from a physical therapy session for my dodgy shoulder. There are two young doctors who head up the facility. The one assigned to me is already enamored of all things Omega andhas a Seamaster Aqua Terra with white dial. He admitted that a Speedmaster is on his want list after spying mine a few weeks ago. Today, he was excited to show me a new Tudor Ranger he just fetched back from a trip to San Diego.The other doctor is also into watches as well and scrutinized my Speedmaster that day.

Today I sported a 1948 Longines with 27M movement in its Longines produced 18kt rose gold case for the appointment. I wasn't expecting as much enthusiasm for the 75 year old watch. The doctors were both keen about the Longines brand, the charm about my watch being vintage, and the solid gold. They obviously approved. One spoke knowingly about Longines currently upping its game.

These guys are both likely younger than our 38 year old youngest son, yet embraced the notion of vintage watches as a daily wear choice.
I had a shirt that had the “if you go carrying pictures of chair mao, you ain’t gonna make it with anyhow.” Got a few weird looks but mostly Beatles comments.
Again shows we are bros from another mo. My PT guy had a few vintage watches but preferred to wear his hamilton Murph at work. @Omega wu they of course lack the sophistication of Chinese watches but a younger guy who loved watches. So that is two. I think we just cracked the case, I’m pretty sure we can write a paper. Edit-I prefer the slow version. Take 18 to be precise

Like 2
That slow rendition grated on me way back first time I ever heard it. Now I like to hear it as an alternative to the popular version.

If vintage watches hold their popularity like vintage rock music has then I'll be happy.

Like 5
It’s an interesting conundrum, collecting vintage watches and speculating about future values. I got spooked by the Porsche market a few years ago and sold a beloved 356. Yes, prices continued to rise and I feared I’d made a terrible decision. Now, the market has softened to where I think I actually did pretty well.

It is the Model T syndrome. You can buy a perfect, 100% Model T for under $15k. Why? People don’t know what to do with them, and they don’t understand the historic value these cars have. Looking at my 26-yr old son, he has zero interest in vintage cars or watches. Am I staking my retirement on Omegas and Porsches? No.

Like 1
It’s an interesting conundrum, collecting vintage watches and speculating about future values. I got spooked by the Porsche market a few years ago and sold a beloved 356. Yes, prices continued to rise and I feared I’d made a terrible decision. Now, the market has softened to where I think I actually did pretty well.

It is the Model T syndrome. You can buy a perfect, 100% Model T for under $15k. Why? People don’t know what to do with them, and they don’t understand the historic value these cars have. Looking at my 26-yr old son, he has zero interest in vintage cars or watches. Am I staking my retirement on Omegas and Porsches? No.
He has no interests at all then…….after all classic watches and classic cars, what over interests are there?

:D
Edited:

Like 3
He has no interests at all then…….after all classic and classic cars, what over interests are there?

None? :)

That slow rendition grated on me way back first time I ever heard it. Now I like to hear it as an alternative to the popular version.

If vintage watches hold their popularity like vintage rock music has then I'll be happy.
-1 for “slow rendition grated on me” you are on friend probation sorry to be so harsh

Like 1
-1 for “slow rendition grated on me” you are on friend probation sorry to be so harsh
Sheesh, hard marker…
I don’t really like the Beatles much at all, a few songs are ok, so where does that put me……in the sworn enemy category perhaps?

Sheesh, hard marker…
I don’t really like the Beatles much at all, a few songs are ok, so where does that put me……in the sworn enemy category perhaps?
No, you have been living a lifeless myopia yet to be enlightened by the Beatles I feel sorrow for you my dear boy.

Like 1
Sheesh, hard marker…
I'm the same. Now there's two of us. :)

Like 2
I much preferred the Rolling Stones, or as they’re now known as the Strolling Bones.

Like 6
I'm the same. Now there's two of us. :)
You should just be banned

Like 6
And for all the SHA BI who will pile and and join the #metoo when it comes to not liking the Beatles don’t bother. First off it’s off topic and that is bad. Second me and my BFF @Omega wu dont care that you listen, but you do not hear, you look, but you do not see

So let’s just drop the #metoo stuff and stay on topic, no political or insults either please. Thanks

I much preferred the Rolling Stones, or as they’re now known as the Strolling Bones.

Yep. Same

Like 1
Be careful @Walrus is going to have a massive brain fart in a minute:)
If it causes me to lose my good taste in music I’ll just join you at the sun downers talk about knitting and Bon Jovi

Like 5