Who wants to predict the future for Vintage watches?

So tempted to haul out the old phrase about “a knife to a gun fight”::stirthepot::

Like 4
I am not a rich man, just an ordinary income, in our country。;););)

I don't know you, but I'd be happy to see if I can stand up in this crowd :)
I wasn’t referring to me in particular, there are quite a few on this forum with seriously substantial and well curated collections that fly under the radar.
I have a few nice watches but these guys take it to the next level and rarely if ever feel the need to boast about it.
It is not about how many you have rather than the affliction of a WIS. The majority of us like or love what we have but still want more, bit like eating crisps or drinking beer:D

Like 7
Dr. Ian Malcolm:
God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...

Dr. Ellie Sattler:
Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth... and all vintage watches.

Gbesq:
New Swiss luxury watches from many brands have become so expensive that many buyers will turn to vintage instead. The current slow market will pick up. Quality will always sell.

Like 7
Contine......

微信图片_20230821134026.jpg 微信图片_20230821134054.jpg 微信图片_20230821134055.jpg 微信图片_20230821134056.jpg 微信图片_202308211340541.jpg 微信图片_202308211340552.jpg 微信图片_202308211340553.jpg 微信图片_202308211340561.jpg 微信图片_202308211340551 - 副本.jpg 微信图片_20230821134029 - 副本.jpg

OK you have a lot of own good pictures of your watches, so can you please use one of yours instead of mine for your avatar pic? Thanks!

Like 10
Westerner tunnel vision !::facepalm1::

Your unnecessary antagonism has redirected this thread to make it all about you. Can’t figure out why you can’t make your point without insulting anyone from an entire region of the world.

Like 9
My friends in China are loathe to get me any watches due to the amount of fakes both new and vintage. This doesn’t speak to China as a whole merely the people I know don’t know watches. They did well in real estate and only buy from Rolex AD and a few cool Chinese luxury brands.

Although we speak to them weekly and news I get varies too much from what is printed in the west. Chinas unemployment rate has always been high equal to that of the US population but their population cracking a billion may make that normal I don’t know. I always enjoy my times in China but was disappointed to find watches run about the same prices in the US.

I also found a lacking of swear words in Chinese conversation many blushed when I asked them to tell me a few. Anyway for those that lean towards the party line I always found it best to avoid political discourse as they are not prone speaking poorly about the government like we are in our towards western governments.

It is difficult to guess on the future of anything. I had some Chinese art I bought in China merely because I liked it. for some reason we looked up its value and found the artists work had skyrocketed like a tech stock during the internet bubble. I mailed it to family in China so they could take advantage of it shortly after which the value plummeted around here but I think it stayed strong in China so perhaps watch values will be cyclical and based on where your feet are in the world.

Perhaps I got off target here I just find china interesting no harm meant. I can only speak for myself and perhaps I will break even on my watch collection in the future. Like others I do give some vintage watches away to the few who expressed interest in what I was wearing nothing of great value as I don’t have many of great value anyway. I guess maybe vintage watches will do well or they won’t. That’s the best I can come up with.

Like 4
When I worked at Sydney airport in the early 2000s you would average 80-100 Omega Manhattans on every flight (mix of men’s and women’s)

Cleared a cruise vessel with a heap of old retired US travellers just before Covid and saw two gold constellation’s with brick bracelets on the one boat.

Deal with people usually daily and get to see what’s on people’s wrists.

See an uptake in real watches compared to the Fitbit, Applewatch of probably 2015 when everyone had a computer watch.

Recent visit to Japan I was surprised how many Aqua Terra Omega watches I noticed on the people I had dealings with.

The watch industry is strong.

Like 8
OK you have a lot of own good pictures of your watches, so can you please use one of yours instead of mine for your avatar pic? Thanks!

upload_2023-8-21_23-8-53.jpeg

SO OK ?!:p:cool:;)

Like 1
My friends in China are loathe to get me any watches due to the amount of fakes both new and vintage. This doesn’t speak to China as a whole merely the people I know don’t know watches. They did well in real estate and only buy from Rolex AD and a few cool Chinese luxury brands.

Although we speak to them weekly and news I get varies too much from what is printed in the west. Chinas unemployment rate has always been high equal to that of the US population but their population cracking a billion may make that normal I don’t know. I always enjoy my times in China but was disappointed to find watches run about the same prices in the US.

I also found a lacking of swear words in Chinese conversation many blushed when I asked them to tell me a few. Anyway for those that lean towards the party line I always found it best to avoid political discourse as they are not prone speaking poorly about the government like we are in our towards western governments.

It is difficult to guess on the future of anything. I had some Chinese art I bought in China merely because I liked it. for some reason we looked up its value and found the artists work had skyrocketed like a tech stock during the internet bubble. I mailed it to family in China so they could take advantage of it shortly after which the value plummeted around here but I think it stayed strong in China so perhaps watch values will be cyclical and based on where your feet are in the world.

Perhaps I got off target here I just find china interesting no harm meant. I can only speak for myself and perhaps I will break even on my watch collection in the future. Like others I do give some vintage watches away to the few who expressed interest in what I was wearing nothing of great value as I don’t have many of great value anyway. I guess maybe vintage watches will do well or they won’t. That’s the best I can come up with.

::facepalm1::You live in the 80 s? Or you all live in the 80 s in western countries?

In addition, I watch collection has more than 20 years, engaged in repair watch has nearly 20 years!:):):)

Omega wu;

We're not here for a "western countries versus the East" contest to see who can pee the highest up a wall. We want to get along on an international forum and enjoy watches together, all watches, all nationalities with nary a chip on any shoulder.

Like 12

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't, who knows where those photos are from, Nico. This joker is clearly a troll.
Edited:

Like 6
Aren’t you just brimming with self righteous virtue……….I’d just like to point out your vintage watches are from the past, and as such your enthusiasm for them must mean a part of you yearns for the past……At least we’ve allowed to live any way we want, if some folks wanna live in the past it’s fine by me and our decadent western society,
If our politicians or anyone else tries to order us what to do, we tell them to go to buggery and we get to vote them out when we’ve had enough of their stupidity.
Now enough of this politically charged dick measuring contest and let’s get back to the question at hand…… The future of vintage watches.

My thoughts are that even though our watches have theoretically been made redundant, by phones that display the time and do a shitload of other things, and smart watches etc.
Because of this “redundancy “ some people might say that collecting watches will die a painful drawn out death like a lot of other collecting hobbies, as the people who’re contemporary to the age of watches die out so will the hobby.
But unlike a lot of things time is eternal, as is the need to try and measure it.
“Time is an abstract concept, used to differentiate between two distinct happenings.” A definition I read in some dictionary.
Thus there will always be a need to use some kind of time measurement, you can use soulless smart junk which won’t last more than a few years, or you can use a vintage watch or clock…….things that have stood the test of time.
After all it’s all about time isn’t it?
Time will always be relevant to young and old, it is after all what both separates the two and yet it’s passing is common to both…indeed it’s the very thing that converts the former into the latter.
As such there will always be interest in time and the devices that record it, and that interest will spark enthusiasm in some members of the younger generations for the old ways.

::facepalm1::You live in the 80 s? Or you all live in the 80 s in western countries?

In addition, I watch collection has more than 20 years, engaged in repair watch has nearly 20 years!:):):)
Actually I’m stuck in the 60’s best American music, and British.

Like 5
My son is wearing a 168.004. And he's 15. So all is good here.

Like 6
I do not know any dealers shipping to China for vintage pieces.
It's funny because some years ago I bought a couple of watches from a Chinese dealer. The dealer had a lot of omega's for a good price. I tipped a friend and he bought a 166.010 from this dealer which he still wears.

Like 1
@Omega wu look we are buddies. Down with western imperialism and all the other bad stuff we do. I vote for the American communist party I think we should just surrender to Xi and get it over with, we are not the top of the food chain anymore at least China doesn’t lock up innocent people like we do-oh wait a minute (thread closed yet)
image.jpg

Like 4