Who wants to predict the future for Vintage watches?

I think vintage watches will be fine for the foreseeable future. If there was already a market for these pieces pre www I think that the increased availability of information will keep adding new collectors to the fold...

You captured the heart of it. It's like a bottomless toy box.

Like 2
I do not believe that the current vintage watch market is strong, outside of the most desirable models, or those in particularly good condition, nor do I expect that to change anytime soon, due to broader economic factors. But over the longer term, I have little doubt that the market will both survive and thrive. I say that for a number of reasons.

First, the period that most collectors would consider to be vintage is roughly 1940-70, and a strong argument could be made that it coincides with what might be called the Golden Age of watchmaking. Without going into detail, some of the finest calibers ever developed came from that period, along with many classic designs that will always be present in the DNA of a high percentage of subsequently produced mechanical watches.

Secondly, and along the same lines, can anyone think of another complex, precision mechanical instrument manufactured 50-80 years ago that is capable of performing nearly as well as its contemporary descendents? A high-quality, well maintained and adjusted vintage chronometer should be well capable of performance similar to this, from Omega's current marketing for its MASTER CHRONOMETER line:

Official Swiss Chronometer Control (COSC) with precision criteria of -4/+6 seconds per day.

Of course there have been technical advancements, but when compared with, say, automobiles, the relative capabilities of high-quality vintage watches today are remarkable, and I would say that this, often overlooked factor, will likely benefit the market for as long as it exists.

Thirdly, there are, of course, a number of factors which contribute to the popularity of subsets of vintage markets. One factor that I would suggest is also often overlooked, or, put another way, perhaps only subconsciously registered, is that items from certain periods may be associated with the tenor of those times. The '50s and '60s happened to have been a very optimistic period, during which memories of the horrible wars were fading, economies were growing rapidly, and a broad swath of the middle-classes began to accumulate money to spend on other than necessities. It is true that those of us who were alive during that time are getting old, but I expect that it will continue to be seen as a golden era for much more than just vintage watches, and that the institutional memory will help to bolster the value of most collectables that are associated with it.

Finally, a segment of the population is already pushing back at the rapid technological progress that has been made in recent decades, and I rather doubt that this type of ambivalence will disappear anytime soon. Of course there have been tremendous benefits to many related advancements, but a significant number of people, quite reasonably I would argue, are very concerned about associated downsides. Those reactions are sometimes expressed through efforts to simplify one's life. To use one of countless examples, I drive a 2010 Audi, and am more satisfied than I would be if I were to drive a new car, as I find the latter to typically be over-engineered. In other words, I have more than just a soft spot for simpler machines, and generally prefer to own them for practical reasons, as well. That's not to suggest that vintage watches will become increasingly popular for their timekeeping capabilities, but rather that they will remain attractive alternatives to computers worn on wrists, or carried in pockets, and for a variety of reasons.
Edited:

Like 19
I don't mean any disrespect. My views are informed by what I read in papers likevthe NYTImes, Washingtonpost and The Economist. Without getting side tracked, there have been many recent articles about high unemployment among recent college graduates and under 30 years old, as well as other slowing economic forces.

I am glad to hear that this is not your experience and that it may not be universal.

As background, I may at times be a stupid cunt, but I also went with my family to Beijing six years ago and had a great time. Both my wife and daughter stidied Chinese and they were very excited to wander in the Forbidden city, as well as the markets and art district. Unfortunately, they never called me a stupid cunt, so I appreciate Dan's translation. They did call me a 'Dabiza', which they said means big nose.

Anyway, what more can you add about the prediction for the future of vintage watches in China? I take it you think it'll hopefully still be strong?
I think there's also a language barrier at play here too, since he's copy/pasted some output from his translator that included the Chinese in his post. Meanings and severity/tone can get changed going both directions, especially with English/Chinese. Not ideal for political/economics topics.

Wu mao clowns are coming through the woodwork these days.
Kind of uncalled for. It's very possible (and far more likely) to just be a dick and not get paid for it.

For the sake of objectivity, don't forget the US funnels many millions in to anti-China and pro-US news through USAGM (US Agency for Global Media) -> Radio Free Asia / Voice of America, and then all of the less direct influence which is also super powerful and influential.

Like 2
I think there's also a language barrier at play here too, since he's copy/pasted some output from his translator that included the Chinese in his post. Meanings and severity/tone can get changed going both directions, especially with English/Chinese. Not ideal for political/economics topics.
Oh, I think there's definitely a language barrier, but he made himself understood pretty well, IMO. :D

Like 3

Thanks, no offense taken. Didn’t mean to go political, just more about how economics influences the future of watches.

I guess he/she thinks the future of vintage watches is good. :D

Like 1
I don’t mind if you want to (foolishly) equivocate, but the insult apropos of absolutely nothing offensive or controversial was uncalled for.
Referring to a member as "Wu mao clown" because they're Chinese is just as rude as how he was acting and contributes nothing constructive to the conversation.

Like 4
....Thirdly, there are, of course, a number of factors which contribute to the popularity of subsets of vintage markets. One factor that I would suggest is also often overlooked, or, put another way, perhaps only subconsciously registered, is that items from certain periods may be associated with the tenor of those times. The '50s and '60s happened to have been a very optimistic period, during which memories of the horrible wars were fading, economies were growing rapidly, and a broad swath of the middle-classes began to accumulate money to spend on other than necessities. It is true that those of us who were alive during that time are getting old, but I expect that it will continue to be seen as a golden era for much more than just vintage watches, and that the institutional memory will help to bolster the value of most collectables that are associated with it...

Great comment. I suspect we baby boomers, will be, at least for the shorter foreseeable term, continue to provide supply and demand pressures to keep the social 50s and 60s "tenor" alive and in so doing keeping the horological gains active in the forefront of thinking about vintage watches; all the while hoping that the following generation will do its share by taking up the baton. There is no doubt that as we move on, our concept of vintage will progressively move forward until one day that Benthos 500 or 105003 or whatever... will be as distant as a trench watch is to us today. And then what value - vintage to antique...

Like 2
Do you know how many antique watch to sell to China every year, do you know how many Watch player in China, you don't know!! tunnel vision

Do you know how many antique watch to sell to China every year, do you know how many Watch player in China, you don't know!! tunnel vision
Please inform us, we are all eager to learn.

Cheers

Like 6
Who are they buying from?

I do not know any dealers shipping to China for vintage pieces.

Like 1
Who are they buying from?

I've been trying to learn about and poke around Chinese Wechat groups, social media, and forums. The vintage scene definitely seems to be growing. Can't comment on where the watches are coming from specifically, but supply doesn't seem to be any issue. Also found some watchmakers posting detailed and pretty satisfying repair videos, no Chinese language required to enjoy those.

Like 1
I think two things can be true at once: China is beginning a serious economic contraction AND the Chinese well-to-do will covet and buy prestige Western designer watches (vintage and new.)

Like 4
Quoted member kgb
I think two things can be true at once: China is beginning a serious economic contraction AND the Chinese well-to-do will covet and buy prestige Western designer watches (vintage and new.)

Wish what you said is true, smile dead.HA HA HA HA HA HAHA。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wish what you said is true, smile dead.HA HA HA HA HA HAHA。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Not sure if you are agreeing or challenging me. But I will say I have run a business in close cooperation with a major Chinese partner for 10 years and have traveled there many many times. I admire Chinese culture, and people, and (most) business relations. But facts are facts.

Once again it would help if you shared your wisdom?
Cheers

Like 1
Continue to。。。。。。。。

upload_2023-8-21_13-34-1.pngupload_2023-8-21_13-34-35.pngupload_2023-8-21_13-34-54.jpeg

I am sorry, I don’t understand your point.
Edited:

Like 3
I am sorry, I don’t understand you point.
Language issue, probably hard to elaborate. Phrases like "smile dead" are a bad machine translation of 笑死了 = dying laughing or "LOL".

I assume the collection pics are in response to:

Like 3