White Omega deposit.

My boutique called and said they want a 50% deposit and have no idea what number I am in line, it they ask for a deposit for 10 people in line.

when I signed up last week they mentioned they had a list over 20.
I hate this crap. lol

I doubt I’ll give a deposit to be honest since they can’t tell me what number I am on a list of 10 (today) or 20 (last week)

Every day Omega becomes more like Rolex, even run of the mill watches (not limited or special) become unobtainable unless you pay a hefty deposit, or buy some slow moving model, to get in line for the privilege of buying a watch. Not playing that game, ever.

Every day Omega becomes more like Rolex, even run of the mill watches (not limited or special) become unobtainable unless you pay a hefty deposit, or buy some slow moving model, to get in line for the privilege of buying a watch. Not playing that game, ever.

Rolex doesn't require a deposit. For my Snoopy, I put down $5k deposit when it launched and was told Q1 2021 delivery. After first delay the OB manager told me I would be getting original price in case it increased. Ended up getting it July 2023 and had to pay the not one but two price hikes. I'm not playing this game again. Actually considering putting my name down for a Daytona...should have done it last June when I was at the Rolex pop-up shop at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Rolex person was surprised to hear my Snoopy story with deposit (delivery was the following month thankfully).

In Roma OB they have it for sale, no deposit, show up and buy it. At least they had it until last Monday, last time I checked.

This was the process for my 321 and snoopy, they delivered when it was my turn, no other games to be played etc… I enjoyed the process vs the Rolex games.

I didn’t have to for the white dial but if they asked for a deposit I wouldn’t have a problem. It weeds out the tyre kickers quick.

My boutique called and said they want a 50% deposit and have no idea what number I am in line, it they ask for a deposit for 10 people in line.

I hate this crap. lol

I doubt I’ll give a deposit to be honest since they can’t tell me what number I am on a list of 10 (today) or 20 (last week)
A 50% deposit is better than the payment in full that the corporate OB asked for on release day. The AD owned OB near me only requested a $1,000 deposit before they closed their list. However, I expect the corporate OB to start deliveries before the AD owned OB.

This was the process for my 321 and snoopy, they delivered when it was my turn, no other games to be played etc… I enjoyed the process vs the Rolex games.

I didn’t have to for the white dial but if they asked for a deposit I wouldn’t have a problem. It weeds out the tyre kickers quick.
My issue is that, they can’t tell me what number I am on a list and asking for 50%

tell me a number and if I feel like it’s close enough ok, deposit, if I’m 19 of 20 no thanks

So, they told you today you’ll be 10th in line? Maybe 10 backed out since last week if that’s the case…

Regardless, even if you’re in the top 20, do you not think they’ll have 20 Speedys delivered to your AD in 6-12 months' time (or however long you're willing to wait)? Maybe I’m naive, but I think 20 Speedys allocated to one AD in 6-12 months is plausible if it is a regular production piece as they say.

In Taiwan, today, they offered to put my name on the list, for free. I said no, because I'm not interested in it, but I did see one in person, and the white dial is really nice.

I wonder if Omega is more likely to ship them to stores that can make a plea re: having committed customers ready to go?

Never say never, but I can’t imagine paying a deposit for a watch. I already feel like a heel dropping $$$$ on a mass produced steel watch. Leaving half that just for the vague assurance that I’ll someday have the privilege of doing so..? Maybe for some customers it would help build the hype and anticipation, but for me it would have quite the opposite effect—it calls even more attention to the absurdity of a hobby that I already engage in with a certain amount of shame. :-/

I wonder if Omega is more likely to ship them to stores that can make a plea re: having committed customers ready to go?

Never say never, but I can’t imagine paying a deposit for a watch. I already feel like a heel dropping $$$$ on a mass produced steel watch. Leaving half that just for the vague assurance that I’ll someday have the privilege of doing so..? Maybe for some customers it would help build the hype and anticipation, but for me it would have quite the opposite effect—it calls even more attention to the absurdity of a hobby that I already engage in with a certain amount of shame. :-/

My US OB gets 3-5 in a batch every couple weeks and is not requiring a deposit.

My issue is that, they can’t tell me what number I am on a list and asking for 50%

tell me a number and if I feel like it’s close enough ok, deposit, if I’m 19 of 20 no thanks

they won’t/can’t give you that info. If a corporate purchase comes thru; that order will get a waitlist/hot piece. Everyone on the waitlist will get pushed back. So, no point of an assigned number anyways. But if they take 50% deposit, good chance you’ll get yours before end of year.

I don't see it that way. I would't be ashamed of a hobby of mine for starters, otherwise I wouldn't even engage in it. And since I am willing to spend that X amount of money for the given watch, sending over 10, 20 or even 50% before hand won't make a difference in the end, as after all is said and done I'm down that amount of money and up a brand new watch I was lusting over, what does it matter if I send a % of that amount a few months in advance?

Of course I'm talking reasonable periods here, a handful of months tops, if we are talking years (like I believe happened for the Snoopy) then that is just too long and during that time I might just want to do something else with the money.

they won’t/can’t give you that info. If a corporate purchase comes thru; that order will get a waitlist/hot piece. Everyone on the waitlist will get pushed back. So, no point of an assigned number anyways. But if they take 50% deposit, good chance you’ll get yours before end of year.

Not sure about ADs, but my OB tells you your spot (roughly). Top 20 getting it by May so 10 per month is pretty good movement imo. No need for anyone to be putting down a deposit or paying over retail imo. It's not limited production (per my OB).

I don't see it that way. I would't be ashamed of a hobby of mine for starters, otherwise I wouldn't even engage in it. And since I am willing to spend that X amount of money for the given watch, sending over 10, 20 or even 50% before hand won't make a difference in the end, as after all is said and done I'm down that amount of money and up a brand new watch I was lusting over, what does it matter if I send a % of that amount a few months in advance?

Of course I'm talking reasonable periods here, a handful of months tops, if we are talking years (like I believe happened for the Snoopy) then that is just too long and during that time I might just want to do something else with the money.

“Shame” wasn’t quite the right word. What I’m getting at is the slight bit of cosmic guilt I have spending stupid amounts of money—most of it on luxury branding, not inherent value—on a watch I don’t need because it makes me feel something, when I know there are so many financially smarter or more humanitarian ways I could use that money. Not trying to shame anyone else here—I love these watches! All I’m saying is that those little twinges become full on jolts when I learn that I’m meant to jump through extra hoops in order to ingratiate myself to the brand that’s already kinda hoodwinking me. Everyone has a line—I guess that’s mine.

Your logic is sound: today or ten months from now—what difference does it really make? I fully own the idiocy of my “principled” stand here.

“Shame” wasn’t quite the right word. What I’m getting at is the slight bit of cosmic guilt I have spending stupid amounts of money—most of it on luxury branding, not inherent value—on a watch I don’t need because it makes me feel something, when I know there are so many financially smarter or more humanitarian ways I could use that money. Not trying to shame anyone else here—I love these watches! All I’m saying is that those little twinges become full on jolts when I learn that I’m meant to jump through extra hoops in order to ingratiate myself to the brand that’s already kinda hoodwinking me. Everyone has a line—I guess that’s mine.

Your logic is sound: today or ten months from now—what difference does it really make? I fully own the idiocy of my “principled” stand here.

Okay I understand where you are coming from better now, and to that I can relate. Subjecting ourselves to to stupid long wait lines, having to purchase slow moving stock in order to get what we want, rather than just walking into the store and paying MSRP for the item we have the money for, is adding salt to injury.
I too consider what better uses the money could have, but I try to convince myself that this is a splurge once every few years after having earned enough for it to make some sense, and I make sure I enjoy the hell out of these watches 😜

I think being able the place a deposit and being guaranteed a watch is better than the Rolex model, where you don't know if you'll ever get a watch prior to it being discontinued. Any day of the week, I'd be willing to wait 1-2 years with a full deposit than pay a flipper a premium. At least with a deposit, you will be getting what you want.

Not sure about ADs, but my OB tells you your spot (roughly). Top 20 getting it by May so 10 per month is pretty good movement imo. No need for anyone to be putting down a deposit or paying over retail imo. It's not limited production (per my OB).

many here have heard “you are on the list” and never receive any update. OB is obligated to update those with a deposit. Non-deposit waitlist receives little or no contact. Omega is the only (major) brand wiling to take a deposit. I welcome this practice.

I hate this crap. lol

Omega must be absolutely loving the FOMO frenzy for a non limited regular production reference. I do like it a lot and will buy one eventually…..when supply catches up with demand and it’s available. Waiting until the frenzy is over may also provide a discount opportunity not being offered today. We shall see.

Good luck, hope it works out soon for you!