Forums Latest Members

Which would you choose? 3001-005 or 3572.50

1. ec186709 Oct 3, 2019

Hello everyone,
    Originally i was intending on waiting it out for a 3572.50 (or 3592.50) as i like the hesalite front with open caseback combo, and the potential for patina on the dial ... but then again the allure of getting a brand new speedy (that's mine from day one to start the journey together) is something, to me, which holds value.

Which would you choose?

A brand new speedy in hesalite (model 311-30-42-30-01-005):
    The goods:
    · Get from an AD at a great discount
    · 5 year manufacturer warranty (any issues with movement etc … I can just go the AD)
    · Slightly upgraded bracelet (screws instead of pins)
    · Box, warranty cards, extra nato strap yada yada
    · Can pick up tomorrow, and its brand spanking new
    The bads:
    · Kind of wanted the exposed case back and patina
    · From front looks exactly like my option below

A used speedy with hesalite in front/sapphire crystal on the back (model 3572.50 ):
    The goods:
    · See through case back!! Yes .. i think we call all agree its cool
    · Some have tritium on the dial markers (who doesn't like the distinguished look of the patina?)
    · Probably more collectible piece in the long run
    · Looks exactly like the new model above from the front
    The bad:
    · All in cost of probably will probably be only slightly less than new option (yes i am getting a good deal on new)
    The process of having to make the deal/wiring/waiting (with trusted seller or OF or through a website like crono24 or crown and caliber)
    · Will most likely come just watch only (who doesn’t like extra swag when buying something new like this)
    · The waiting game of finding one I'm willing to pull the trigger on (could be today, could be 3 months from now)
    · In most cases, i would have no idea when it got serviced last (or if it has ever been serviced at all) so when something eventually goes wrong I will likely come out of pocket and get a full servicing.
    · If anything goes wrong before or upon arrival, no matter what it is, it will be a pain in the a$$ to deal with. Most likely won’t, but always a possibility.

2. DeepBlue Oct 3, 2019

You can't go wrong with either.

3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 3, 2019

The samich Speedmaster would be my choice. If I wasn’t such a dummy I would have a 3573.50 right now

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Oct 4, 2019

Either option would be good although I think the models with hesalite front and sapphire back are thinner on the ground than the sapphire sandwich so you may be waiting around for a suitable watch

5. saulgoodman Oct 4, 2019

Absolutely! There is nothing wrong with buying someone else's watch. However, taking one through life yourself has a special meaning. The Speedmaster is a watch that looks great with a few (or many) scratches and dings that demonstrate a watch well worn and used as intended. With a new Speedy you will get to be the owner of every mark on that watch and it will indicate your passage of time with one of the world's great timepieces on your wrist. When you bestow the watch to someone special who will hopefully take it through their life, he/she will be able to look at the watch and know that your life is represented there. The choice is a no brainer to me.

ec186709 likes this.
  6. ec186709 Oct 4, 2019

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen. Much appreciated!