Forums Latest Members
  1. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 10, 2019

I’ve always been an Omega fan rather than Rolex (think Beatles v Stones back in the day) but lately I’ve been thinking I should broaden my horizons and acquire a Rolex.

I decided I wanted a slim, midsized (34-36) stainless steel watch, no date, classic hands, no sub dial and a starburst dial. In fact, the Rolex equivalent of a 50s or 60s Seamaster. I haven’t decided on face colour.

I like the look of the Oyster Precision and the Air King I’ve seen on the web. Today I went into a Rolex dealership and tried on a new Oyster Datejust (they only had Datejusts) but the biggest shock for me was the thickness of the case.

So, anyone able to suggest age, date and movement, and ideally thinner (slimmer) than the new watches so that I can focus my search a little more effectively.

Also, please advise me how Rolex movements and cases hold up in the 30 - 50 year old watches that I suspect I’m attracted to.

2. Dan S Oct 10, 2019

Vintage hand-winding Oyster Precision references might be a bit thinner than automatics, but I'd have to double check to be sure. Rolex oyster cases and movements are very robust in general.

3. oinkitt Oct 10, 2019

There are not many slim vintage Rolex models due to their most of their watches being automatic.

Maybe look at a 4498.

4. Canuck Oct 10, 2019

Cellini by Rolex will give you choices in slimmer manual wind models. But they are NOT Oysters, and are JUST to be used as dress models. I believe they are available only in 18-karat gold. Your definition of “slim” may rule out a Rolex. Even manual winders. Let us know when (or if) you find a Rolex that ticks all the boxes. Google Rolex Cellini and check the styles and prices.

Edited Oct 10, 2019
  5. Ville_W Oct 11, 2019

It’s not only about case height. In general vintage Rolex are perceived as less bulky due to the slimmer case.

6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 11, 2019

Thanks everyone. As I said initially, this issue took me by surprise.
    I’m going to concentrate on vintage Rolex and, possibly, Tudor.

7. Canuck Oct 11, 2019

Many Tudors use Rolex cases. Depending on the vintage and the movement used, the only difference will be the slimmer back on the Tudor case. But even at that, Tudors aren’t slim, compared to other makes of watches that are “slim”.

8. IanES Oct 11, 2019

My 34mm Tudor Oyster Date. Case including the slightly domed plastic crystal is around 9mm (excluding the cyclops)

As you can see the crystal sticks out quite a way. The steel part of the body is just over 7mm thick.

IMAG1336.jpg

IMAG1338.jpg